Napa Gold (Wix) Oil Filters Threads Machined Badly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
It's an old internet tale that a very efficient oil filter must be flow restrictive. You can have both if it's designed right. Since the Ultra is full synthetic that helps it flow better. According to the data Motorking provided from inside Fram, the Ultra flows better than the PureOne, and the PureOnes flow well anyway (I've posted the Flow vs PSID thread dozens of times). There are just a few filters that perform at the level of the Ultra, but are usually more expensive. Since you might want these for customer cars, the Ultra isn't probably very "financially attractive", but maybe for your own personal use it is.

Being new to this site, I hadn't seen the flow vs. psid thread before, but thanks to you mentioning it as well as a use of the Search function here I found it.

I also found a very interesting related thread you & dnewton3 had commented on earlier this year.

Such stuff can be found reasonably easily here (if you have an idea which username to put in the search request).

Quote:
It's an old internet tale that a very efficient oil filter must be flow restrictive....

This X 1000.

Unfortunately it is a favorite internet urban legend that is oft repeated, though as explained and shown many times on this board has no basis in science. In other words it's nothing more than internet tripe spread by the uninformed.

Fortunately most of those that frequent this board understand and accept the science based explanation and reject the tripe no matter how many times it is repeated.

As said many times here, oil filter flow is an insignificant consideration in PC use. Never seen posted here nor am I aware of any oil filter spec'd for pc use that doesn't flow just fine.

being in the engine business for 1/2 my life i learned to listen to things in the engines that most people cant hear even a lot of engine guys and with that and my oil gauges i see what flows better. I believe the pure one filters really well at least up until they started tearing but they absolutely do not flow as well as say the classic. my trained ear and my oil gauges that have never lied to me all tell the same story. And just for the record my oil gauges are not hooked up to the internet. Believe what you want i won't argue but i will tell you people in the know usually use the regular filters as close to stock as possible. That is the reason why most new cars use regular filters that flow good and filter just ok. See GM, Ford, Toyota, Chrysler just to name a few.

I found an interesting graph, it has to be reasonably recent as it includes the Ultraguard (not Xtendedguard) but omits the Purolator Synthetic (dang!).

pi_filt_oil_gold_coldoil_thumb_zpsb2bbca03.jpg

For the life of me I can't understand why they included a Fram Doubleguard on this graph.
crazy.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
I found an interesting graph, it has to be reasonably recent as it includes the Ultraguard (not Xtendedguard) but omits the Purolator Synthetic (dang!).

[img:center]
pi_filt_oil_gold_coldoil_thumb_zpsb2bbca03.jpg
[/img]

The Fram Ultra should never be confused with the "Ultraguard" The Ultraguard is a filter that was made by AC Delco and used synthetic media. Sometimes referred to also as AC Delco Ultraguard Gold. They carried similar part numbers as the PF models but were labeled UPF aka UPF44 instead of PF44. They were only made by Champ Labs. It is no longer in production.

The Fram Ultra has only been named either the Ultra, which is the new 99.5% media, or the Xtended Guard which was their first synthetic media filter with 97% efficiency @ 20 microns.

Here is a thread with pics.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1346386&page=2

What is a WIX Sportruck?? Lol.

I have a hard time believing the Fram TG is at the bottom of the list even against the Extra Guard. It has more synthetic media and basically the same bypass.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
What is a WIX Sportruck?? Lol.

Found this

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1726085

I didn't find any reference to the date of the graph, but I'm guessing based on some of these other threads it's late 90's or early 2000's. Back in those days, I wasn't chasing the exotic end of oil filters - a Western Auto with rebate was my filter of choice (until they went under)! Bought a number of filters at KMart when they had their Penske auto parts lineup around then.

Last edited:
Also in case anyone is wondering you can still buy AC Delco Ultra guards on rockauto in PF52 size for $9 each. They have UPF 52, 48 and also UPF1232 for older Nissan, Infiniti, Subaru

It's very old but I don't know the year either. The intent of the graph was to promote the AC Delco Ultraguard which has now been gone for a long time.

OP, on the original topic of badly machined threads, was this on multiple filters or just 1?
I made the switch to Wix filters close to 2 years ago and had used them on and off for years before that. I maintain 5 cars and 2 riding mowers I use them on.
I have never had an issue with any of the threads.
Maybe you just got a dud?

Originally Posted By: cronk
OP, on the original topic of badly machined threads, was this on multiple filters or just 1?
I made the switch to Wix filters close to 2 years ago and had used them on and off for years before that. I maintain 5 cars and 2 riding mowers I use them on.
I have never had an issue with any of the threads.
Maybe you just got a dud?

X2 Just received my golds this week , Nice as always, & clean and smooth threads
wink.gif

In a NAPA store recently and noted that the Golds are made in Mexico and are no longer black but white cans and they do not have the GOLD label on them, just plain white filters and the Ultimate Napa filters say they are made in the USA.

I purchased neither as I did not like not having any lettering on the Gold (could have been any filter in that box) and the Ultimate, just overpriced!

'Some' Wix/Napa Gold applications are made in Mexico. 'Some' NG are now a white can like the newer 5/7356. But as I just purchased said application Friday at local Napa 40% off sale, it clearly says made in the US on the can. Most are still made in the US and ime the ones made in Mex are of equivalent quality. Wix/NG are ime excellent quality and never any thread issues.

As for the graph on the previous page, while older, it illustrates that filters with higher efficiency can and do also have excellent flow. This was later also confirmed by the oft posted P1 flow vs psid data (thread). Scientific data trumps subjectively based anecdotes. Any miniscule difference in flow is insignificant in pc use. As confirmed by several members the ACD Ultraguard though, was an excellent quality filter.

As for the now discontinued Double Guard shown in the graph, basically now an embarrassment that I suspect Fram would rather not hear mentioned. It's known Teflon/PTFE has no place in an engine and was an attempt to capitalize on the Slick 50 craze. But if one wants a DG to have for say, posterity, they can still be had from several sources by using google.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back