Napa Gold (WIX) 1334 Cut Open+ Cutter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a cut open Napa Gold (Wix) 1334 (51334) after 6800 miles and 19 months in a 2000 Honda Accord 3.0L V6, using a mix of 4 qts 5W30 GTX and 1 qt 5W30 Syntec. The recently purchased cutting tool that dissected it (Jegs #80532 $39.00) is nearby. A UOA has been shipped on this and result will be posted.

CutopenL.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pics!! I love the design of wix filters.

Gotta get me one of those can openers now
20.gif

Nice, solid looking filter. Very nice, clean cut that tool did.

Looking forward to your UOA. I have one, lone bottle of SL-rated Castrol Syntec blend 5W-30 that I keep for top-offs, but my car never needs them. I've always thought about just mixing it with 3 bottles of 'another' oil for an OCI, and Syntec 5W-30 is obviously what comes to mind. Be interesting to see how your mix does.....

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Nice, solid looking filter. Very nice, clean cut that tool did.

Looking forward to your UOA. I have one, lone bottle of SL-rated Castrol Syntec blend 5W-30 that I keep for top-offs, but my car never needs them. I've always thought about just mixing it with 3 bottles of 'another' oil for an OCI, and Syntec 5W-30 is obviously what comes to mind. Be interesting to see how your mix does.....

...or, now that I think of it, GC 0W-30. both are 'SL' oils, and the mix woud be about 11.7cst, so the same thickess as a HM oil. Might do that for the winter...yeah...

I've been running that 4+1 GTX/Syntec mix for several OCis and it's tested very good before. I keep gradually running it out in time and miles It took 19 months to get the 6800 miles it has on this fill. I meant to run it 24 month or 7500 but I had some other service work to do, so I went ahead and changed oil too.

The Wix 51334 has a Beta Ratio of 2/20=22/40 and a nominal micron rating of 19.

That tool does make a very nice cut. This was it's first cutting, in fact, but it won't be the last

Nice filter. Doesn't the by pass valve sit metal to metal on the filter? That would be my ONLY pet peeve with that filter but the other qualities more than make up for it.

Jim,

6800 miles in 19 months - you don't drive (this car, at least) very much!

I do that in 5-6 months...

:p

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Jim,

6800 miles in 19 months - you don't drive (this car, at least) very much!

I do that in 5-6 months...

:p

I work at home, so does my wife. Our car/trucks sit for days sometimes without running. Yeah, it's a 2000 Accord Coupe that just turned 70K! Just replaced the OE tires and the brakes (just checked at the OC) still have 50% front and 60% rear. I'll be dead before I wear that car out.

I also have an '05 F-150 truck with only 17K and an '86 F-250HD we bought practically new with only 140K. This is why I don't use a time interval so much. I got tired of dumping new looking oil. It's all backed up with UOAs. started at a year and am working my way up to two. Trying it on my farm equipment too. Will be improving the filtration qualities, which will help slow oxidation.

i just bought that filter for my accord. Unfortunately I heard there might be a 1/2 price sale 2morrow

So everyone pretty much passed over my comment about the bypass valve sitting metal to metal allowing the unfiltered oil to pass back through the engine. You do know that is an engineering flaw right?

It seems like the peats are widely spaced and perhaps shallow. It is media thet filters, not the case or end caps. I continue to wait for evidence that Wix is worth the extra cost.

As strong as that spring was holding everything tight up against the end plate, I rather doubt oil would, or could, get by. In theory you could be correct, I don't completely discount your observation, but I doubt it's an issue here at least. I doubt Wix's engineering staff would have done it without some consideration of the consequences.

Not to mention, if that were the case my previous UOA's would have given some indication (3,1,7,7,0,0 ppm Al,Cr,Fe,Cu,Pb, Sn and 0.3 insoluables don't indicate a filtration problem after 5500 miles). I will have the current UOA back next week and will post it. If you'd care to look, I believe most of the previous UOAs are posted here in the UOA secton. The last three have been with Wix filters, though I only posted two, I believe.

Can't speak much to the observation of the filter element. It has obviously done the job for me. The filter specs I listed earlier are what they are.

Originally Posted By: labman
It seems like the peats are widely spaced and perhaps shallow. It is media thet filters, not the case or end caps. I continue to wait for evidence that Wix is worth the extra cost.

In the contrary, the pleats look nice and even to me, Alot of lesser filter the pleats are all over the place and bunched up. The Mobil 1 filter I cut open the pleats were VERY ununifom, I expected better from that filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back