NAPA Gold Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KevGuy

Did I say specifically the orange can?

I'm beginning to think that you are being paid by Fram's competitors because every time you post, people hate Fram even more.
To the OP, that little bit of rust won't let loose from the base plate, and even if it did, would be too small to do any engine damage whatsoever.

I was told specifically in an interview with an engineer at Parker Filtration that rust on the baseplate is a bad sign. One of my questions to the various engineers I interviewed was about storing filters and how long they can last in storage. They all said excess moisture can have bad effects on cellulose media and rust on the baseplate is a sure sign of that. The Parker engineer flatly stated then when he saw a lot of rust on an endplate, he would not use the filter.... because he has seen in testing the potential issues. Based on that, I would exchange it if that possibility exists. I don't think the odds are badly against you if you used it but if you can go back and swap it with one that isn't iffy... why not?

Were there any numbers/date codes on the filter?

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: KevGuy

Did I say specifically the orange can?

I'm beginning to think that you are being paid by Fram's competitors because every time you post, people hate Fram even more.
To the OP, that little bit of rust won't let loose from the base plate, and even if it did, would be too small to do any engine damage whatsoever.

He's not a shill, he's a Troll. He gets "paid" every time someone responds to his stirring the pot.

I worked at NAPA for ten years, anytime anybody had ANY kind of issue like the rust spots, or whatever, we gladly exchanged or refunded money.
Parts are not and will never be perfect.
We wanted long term customers, if they had a problem, we had a problem. We fixed it.
As far as the rust spots, unless it was sitting in a wet damp place, I would use it. I keep my extra oil filters boxed up in my heated tool shed. Keeps everything dry.
"orange paper won't rust" hehe......
oldhp

Last edited:
Mmmm . . . I've still got NAPA Golds in the old white cans sitting in our filter cabinet, stacked, boxed and dry. They still look perfect, and I intend to use them.

Volvohead, You won't have any issues. I have NAPA Gold filters left over from my 93 S-10 2.8. My brother-in-law just bought a used S-10 that take these filters. If I thought even for a second that these filters were no good I wouldn't sell them to him.
oldhp

Is it the lighting or does the rusty filter look like the stamping isn't as deep/crisp as the non rusty one ? I've never seen one rust on the inside like that.

Aaron

Napa exchanged it today no troubles. The new filter came wrapped in plastic no box. Everything is good. Napa has the best customer service in this area. Thanks for all of the insight.

I wouldn't use a filter that looked that rusty on the outside unless I had no other choice. I have kept filters on a boat in the water for years and they didn't look that rusty. However, now I do store my boat filters inside zip-loc type bags (get the freezer ones) to minimize moisture issues. I keep my car filters at home on a bookshelf in my office so they stay nice and dry and clean.

Napa should make good on that filter if you return it and explain. Not every Napa is the same but most of the bigger city Napa's will do that without problem.

Otherwise just use it as it's not going to harm anything. People are so OCD around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back