NAPA Gold oil filter made by Mann+Hummel now??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a couple of oil filters for a Honda Civic from NAPA, and the filter was 7356. In the past they were made by WIX. Upon closer look at the new 7356 oil filter it had Mann+Hummel on it. I thought that was odd. Are you guys aware of this and what are your thoughts? I might just get the WIX filter, 57356XP from Amazon from now on.

Here is a couple of pics of the NAPA Gold 7356 filter.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mann+Hummel bought WIX a while ago. They also bought Purolator before WIX.

Originally Posted by BoombasticSloth
Thanks for your response. I didn't know that.

Mann+Hummel and Mahle are probably best in this business.
And yeah, WIX is Mann+Hummel.

Baseplate photos would help, but it's likely the same as before.. just a different sticker stating who manufactured it.

Some models have changed and have the obvious Mann baseplate like what's found on Hyundai filters. I don't think those would be US made as your photos show.

M&H acquisition of Wix from Affinia completed May of 2016. I've used topic 5/7356 before and since acquisition. They've gone to a louvered center tube, quality has remained the same ime. Like vast majority Wix/NapaGold spin on still made by Wix in US (Gastonia NC). The 5/1334 and PS 21334 is now made in S Korea, where the Mann Hyun/Kia OEM filter also made. Most comments here seem to indicate satisfaction with that application. Link to last 7356 dissection anecdote I posted.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5074728/napa-gold-7356-c-p-7100-mi

I've been using my O'Reilly $5 off $10 coupons to buy some WL10290XP filters for my new TourX. Very well built, better than the PF64 that is now an e-core design.

Made in US, stamped with Mann-Hummel right on the filter. I was happy when I saw that as Mann is my go-to for MINI and VW filters.

Originally Posted by LotI
I've been using my O'Reilly $5 off $10 coupons to buy some WL10290XP filters for my new TourX. Very well built, better than the PF64 that is now an e-core design.

Made in US, stamped with Mann-Hummel right on the filter. I was happy when I saw that as Mann is my go-to for MINI and VW filters.

Completely off topic, but I'm happy to spot that rarest of creatures: another owner of a Buick TourX! The Wix is a good choice, since, strangely, it's hard to find filters for this car that have the proper 22 psi relief valve.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Baseplate photos would help, but it's likely the same as before.. just a different sticker stating who manufactured it.

Some models have changed and have the obvious Mann baseplate like what's found on Hyundai filters. I don't think those would be US made as your photos show.

Thanks for all the responses, guys. Learning a lot here.
Here is a base plate pic. I still have my old oil filter in a bag somewhere, I will take some pics of that one with the WIX label on it, later when I have more time. I recall it saying WIX Affinity as someone earlier had mentioned.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Sayjac
M&H acquisition of Wix from Affinia completed May of 2016. I've used topic 5/7356 before and since acquisition. They've gone to a louvered center tube, quality has remained the same ime. Like vast majority Wix/NapaGold spin on still made by Wix in US (Gastonia NC). The 5/1334 and PS 21334 is now made in S Korea, where the Mann Hyun/Kia OEM filter also made. Most comments here seem to indicate satisfaction with that application. Link to last 7356 dissection anecdote I posted.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5074728/napa-gold-7356-c-p-7100-mi

WIX since M+H acquired them is made all over the world. It is basically M+H filter. Depends what is application. I got air filter for Toyota it is Made in Mexico, while polen filter is made in Poland. Most M+H filters for European applications are Germany, Poland, Bosnia and Mexico. Plus they have other factories all over the world, so they could be sourced from anywhere pretty much.

As noted the majority of Wix(label)/Napa Gold spin on filters (sold in US) are still made in the US by WIx in Gastonia NC. That has not changed since the acquisition and thus is accurate as posted. They still retain Wix construction, ie., typically majority thread end bypass, metal endcaps, and majority silicone adbv. The one exception as noted the 5/1334 is made in S Korea likely as a consolidation including construction with the Mann Hyun/Kia OEM.

It is analogous to M&H earlier acquisition of Purolator. Purolator spin on applications still made in NC by Puro US since the acquisition. Unfortunately 'based on anecdotes posted here' QC of Purolator spin on has suffered under M&H since the takeover. Many here have wondered if the same will happen to Wix as happened to Purolator. Fortunately to this point based on anecdotes posted and personal use, quality has remained the same. If M&H doesn't screw it up like they did for Puro, things should be fine.

Also well aware of Wix history including production sites prior to the acquisition, here and overseas. While not quite as familiar with M&H, since their takeover of Puro US, become much more acquainted with their operation. Including their opening of a Raleigh NC office several years ago. That location can be seen on the current Carquest filters, which are currently made by Puro US.

I have recently noted with the dissection of a Napa Pro Select 27356 production now appears to be China. However NPS is not a Wix (labled)/Napa Gold filter. Whether other or all NPS now made there, can't say.

I just bought one of these myself op... It is a great filter that can go 15k miles on a clean well maintained motor.

That's whst they told me when I bought the last one. Kia uses Mann and Hummel for their OEM filters I think so fine by me.

As noted the majority of Wix(label)/Napa Gold spin on filters (sold in US) are still made in the US by WIx in Gastonia NC. That has not changed since the acquisition and thus is accurate as posted. They still retain Wix construction, ie., typically majority thread end bypass, metal endcaps, and majority silicone adbv. The one exception as noted the 5/1334 is made in S Korea likely as a consolidation including construction with the Mann Hyun/Kia OEM.

It is analogous to M&H earlier acquisition of Purolator. Purolator spin on applications still made in NC by Puro US since the acquisition. Unfortunately 'based on anecdotes posted here' QC of Purolator spin on has suffered under M&H since the takeover. Many here have wondered if the same will happen to Wix as happened to Purolator. Fortunately to this point based on anecdotes posted and personal use, quality has remained the same. If M&H doesn't screw it up like they did for Puro, things should be fine.

Also well aware of Wix history including production sites prior to the acquisition, here and overseas. While not quite as familiar with M&H, since their takeover of Puro US, become much more acquainted with their operation. Including their opening of a Raleigh NC office several years ago. That location can be seen on the current Carquest filters, which are currently made by Puro US.

I have recently noted with the dissection of a Napa Pro Select 27356 production now appears to be China. However NPS is not a Wix (labled)/Napa Gold filter. Whether other or all NPS now made there, can't say.

Great post. Thanks!!

Originally Posted by Jp267

Great post. Thanks!!

You see... I ain't the only one who noticed
lol.gif

Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by Jp267

Great post. Thanks!!

You see... I ain't the only one who noticed
lol.gif

Great minds think alike. ...€

I just checked the box for the last Napa Platinum that I bought for my Kia Optima and it says C product for country of origin on the box. So I guess I'll crawl under the car today and see what the country of origin is I didn't notice when I put it on.

Well I crawled under the car to check and forgot about the [censored] sound Insulation panel. No time to put it on ramps. Will try another day...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back