NAPA Gold 7899 (Chrysler) vs 1372 (Ford)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So according to the following NAPA memo from 2008:

NAPA memo

NAPA makes separate filters for Chrysler and Ford applications due to the different pitch of the 22mm threads on the Chrysler engines.

So why then do other manufacturers specify the same filter for both Chrysler and Ford applications?

The NAPA filters in question cross reference to the Fram XG2, Bosch 3410, etc., which are listed for both Ford and Chrysler applications. If you go to Rockauto.com it lists the Wix 57899 and MC FL-820S for my 2013 Dodge 5.7 Hemi. Then Rockauto.com lists the MC FL-820s and Wix 53172 for a 2008 Mustang 4.6L.

So WIX/NAPA states different filter applications between Chrysler and Ford, but everyone else says they are the same.

Does anyone know why this is?

interesting..

22X1.5-6-H MM

22X1.5 MM

I think I might need to look up what the difference actually is.

what does the -6-H designate?

ok here is the skinny... They are both the same thread... just the mopar specifies a thread tolerance class of 6H

Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
ok here is the skinny... They are both the same thread... just the mopar specifies a thread tolerance class of 6H

+1 ... it's just tolerance of the cut thread profile. You can have the same thread dia and pitch, but can cut the threads so they screw together loose of tight, depending on exactly how the profile of the threads are cut.

Originally Posted By: Bookmaker
So it's safe then to use a NAPA 1372 or MC-820s on Mopar?

If they are both 22mm dia x 1.5 mm pitch, then I'd say they will all screw on fine. A little bit of thread profile difference isn't going to make or break the fit IMO. That's why others show them both cross referencing as applicable filters.

Though I had no trouble from the Bosch D+ filters I used on my Hemi, I think it speaks well for Wix that they are the only manufacturer that took this OEM spec seriously enough to produce a special filter for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back