NAPA 15w-50 Full Synthetic Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at some NAPA 15w-50 full synthetic oil on sale for $3.29/qt, which sounds pretty darn reasonable. I found out that it is made by Ashland Oil co (Valvoline). What I find kind of odd is that it meets API SL/SM ratings yet carries Energy Conserving on the starburst label. What gives with that? I think it's the first 15/20w-50 oil I've seen that meets energy conserving ratings?

It's more than odd, it's a mistake, but you don't know what the mistake is. It could be the contents of the bottle.
Personally I'd pass on it, besides what in the heck do you need a 15W-50 for?

That sound pretty appealing for my 1937 oil burner/dripper/leaker! Maybe better than the current 20W-50!

Caterham - I note you've changed the Europa from 20W-50 to 5W-50 & VSOT.

I know what VSOP stands for on a brandy bottle, but not VSOT on an oil bottle! Very Special Old ??

Why the change?

I bought some of this a couple years ago and asked Valvoline what makes it energy conserving, and whether or not it would be suitable for my motorcycle. They said that many of their additives (such as calcium) also have friction modification properties, and suggested that I not use it in my motorcycle. I did anyway, and it runs great with no clutch slippage.

Took a look in my local NAPA parts store today. Not on sale at $5.49. Labelled as SM, but no sunburst evident. The part number is 75-510.

Well, I actually bought a few qts to blend with some Valvoline VR1 20w-50 for a couple oil changes for my H-D..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back