Nanoskin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been using a little $8 nanoskin fine finish sponge for a couple years now. Even so small it's orders of magnitude easier to use than a clay bar. Currently looking at upgrading to either the mot or the towel. Suggestions? Also what is the best lube to use? Currently seeing good performance with ONR but that seems to be hard to find in stock right now.

never used anything other than car wash soap to clay. works fine with a clay cloth too. . even one of the big youtube detailers says he just uses soapy water.

I have used the Mother's equivalent with detailing spray. I asked a similar question and was pointed in the direction of soapy water or detailing spray. In my experience, soapy water will be cheaper in the long run. I used A LOT of detailing spray when I used it.

I'm in the soapy water camp as well. I keep my mitt in the "clean" bucket, and use it after washing and rinsing.

I do mix the soap slightly richer when I know I'm going to use the clay mitt.

I've been using the little Nanoskin Autoscrub sponges as well. I have both the red and blue (fine & medium) ones. I always use their Glide as a lube. It works great. One thing they are not great at, is removing tar. One isn't even supposed to use it on grease nor tar. That's kind of difficult to avoid, and I don't want to add another step prior to Nanoskin.

Originally Posted by SirTanon
As a rule, any good quality waterless wash product will work well. Ultima Waterless Wash+ comes to mind.

+1, my favorite. One of the few must haves in the detailing arsenal. A good bird bomb remover, a drying aid, etc....

Originally Posted by kkreit01
I've been using the little Nanoskin Autoscrub sponges as well. I have both the red and blue (fine & medium) ones. I always use their Glide as a lube. It works great. One thing they are not great at, is removing tar. One isn't even supposed to use it on grease nor tar. That's kind of difficult to avoid, and I don't want to add another step prior to Nanoskin.

Stoner's Tarminator works very well and easily removes tar. Around $6 or so.

I bought one of the clay towels from Amazon... around $14 if I recall. I used a bucket of car wash soap and warm water after washing the cars with dish soap. The clay towel is light years beyond a clay bar. After drying I followed with Meguiars Cleaner Wax and then Turtle Wax Ice Spray and lastly Meguiars Fast Finish. Cars look great.... except for the 2 inches of green pollen on them
01.gif

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Originally Posted by kkreit01

Stoner's Tarminator works very well and easily removes tar. Around $6 or so.

Yes. I have it, and use it. However, it adds another whole step if your car has a lot of tar. Whereas, an actual clay bar can do it all in one step. Thus, is one actually saving time using the Nanoskin? Only if it's tar-free.

FWIW when I used to use real clay I used the Meguiars clay... and found it didn't do amazing at tar removal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back