NankangSP-9 Cross Sport

Any one have experience with these tires...Looking at them for 90 a pop...15 kia sportage 18"

you could do worse.. but thats not a glowing recommendation.
How about a size.. and where do you go for tires normally?

you could do worse.. but thats not a glowing recommendation.
How about a size.. and where do you go for tires normally?

235/55/18

This is for my sister she's budget conscience

I usually go with general or continental

235/55/18
This is for my sister she's budget conscience
I usually go with general or continental

Well there is budget conscious and saving a penny to spend a dollar.

Name brand tires that achieve better MPG with less rolling resistance while not sacraficing traction will quickly make up for $40 more per tire. for example.

Right not they have a stacking rebate/instant savings going on at discounttiredirect.com Discount tire will pricematch them if you have a DT locally.

Not saying you need 229$ michelins of course. Let me check into a few tires.

Well there is budget conscious and saving a penny to spend a dollar.

Name brand tires that achieve better MPG with less rolling resistance while not sacraficing traction will quickly make up for $40 more per tire. for example.

Right not they have a stacking rebate/instant savings going on at discounttiredirect.com Discount tire will pricematch them if you have a DT locally.

I have 3 discount tires near me, but for some reason she was shopping at belle tire...don't know if u have them in ohio?

I have 3 discount tires near me, but for some reason she was shopping at belle tire...don't know if u have them in ohio?
Not locally just around Toledo (3hrs)
Is she a spirited driver? how important is winter traction and treadlife.

DTD has KumhoEcsta PA51 for $396
Falken Pro G5 CSV for $464
you would have to have them pricematch Discounttiredirect.com which is easy

That is the price for tires.. not installed out the door which adds aprox $80+ tax

Last edited:
Not locally just around Toledo (3hrs)
Is she a spirited driver? how important is winter traction and treadlife.

To me it's important, u know already how nasty midwest winters are...To her she knows nothing about traction/treadlife she goes by price.

I'm probably going to throw in $100 to get her better tires...u got to be a good brother

To me it's important, u know already how nasty midwest winters are...To her she knows nothing about traction/treadlife she goes by price.

I'm probably going to throw in $100 to get her better tires...u got to be a good brother

If she's not using separate winter tires, at least get 3-peak all-season tires, such as:
Michelin CrossClimate
Vredestein Quatrac 5
Nokian WRG4
Goodyear Weatherready
Hankook 4S2
Milestar AW365

Any one have experience with these tires...Looking at them for 90 a pop...15 kia sportage 18"
I have Milestar V rated tires in 245-45-18 on my M35 that handle and wear very well. Milestar and Nankang tires come from the same factories, I believe, and are imported by Tireco in California. If value is the goal, I think the Nankangs should do well for your sister. It's not like you're putting them on a BMW or an Audi.

Last edited:
All done with cheap tires

I wouldn't even consider Nankang

Pay a little more and don't wipe out in the snow or hydroplane into a ditch, and maybe even panic stop before crashing into someone.... no cheap brakes or tires or generic suspension pieces

You need to make sis understand budget conscience where needed vs suicidal'y cheap.

Check tirerack.... they have a good choice of all-weather tires and a few higher end all-seasons that could work in the winter too.

So, does she drive in snow/rain or avoid going out in bad weather?

Sportage probably has the full computer idiotproofing.... antilock brakes, traction control, and stability control. When matched to a good tire, can be a life saver.

If no room for set of snow tires, look for a all weather tire. Even Falken, Cooper, Firestone... have all weather tires since Michelin/Goodyear might be a bit of a splurge.

I've forced my sister and the B.I.L onto Michelins..... maximum idiotproofing needed with those two. Defender LTS M/S for year round usage is as close to all weather without the peakymountain symbols.

I have a set Nankang NS-25 in 235/45/18 on my Suzuki. Granted slightly different model tire but my experience is very positive. These tires aren't cheap, they are inexpensive. Different concept. Quiet tire, handle great. Too early to comment on mileage.👍

So Greasymechtech, you're "All done with cheap tires." Apparently you equate cheap with no name brands made in China. If you do some checking, you'll find that all of the American tire manufacturers or their subsidiary companies have plants throughout Asia. That includes your touted Michelin.

Nankang has been making tires for 61 years. It's a Taiwan manufacturer, certainly a few clicks above much of what comes out of China. Sure I don't want a "cheap" alternator or water pump on my vehicle, but a tire company that's been doing it for 60+years deserves a little more consideration. Or else the OP's sister can take your advice and spend $900 for a set of Michelins on a Kia Sportage. Yours would be the minority opinion in that application.

I have a set Nankang NS-25 in 235/45/18 on my Suzuki. Granted slightly different model tire but my experience is very positive. These tires aren't cheap, they are inexpensive. Different concept. Quiet tire, handle great. Too early to comment on mileage.👍
I had Nankang NS-25 on my 911 for putzing around town and they did great.

A bit greasy when pushed but not a bad tire by any count.

I have the tires in question personally. Get them last year for our minivan. Discount tire actually recommended them when I was buying tires.

they are just fine as a tire. OEM tire was Michelin and was never overly thrilled with it on the van not that OEM tires are typically great anyways

I do use separate tire in winter. So not much input as far as that

would purchase again depending on vehicle.

Back