Nail in tire. Repair info req'd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

irv

While I was putting the snow tires on my wife's car today, (2017 Chevy Impala) I noticed a nail imbedded into one. I have no idea how long it has been there but there was no air loss warnings via the TPM.

I found the location somewhat unsettling as most are alway on the bottom of the tread, not on the bottom edge/side like this one is. With that being said, what is everyone's thoughts on repairing this? Just a plug like I normally do or should an internal patch be applied?
I never pulled the nail so I have no idea how deep/long the nail is but if I had to guess, judging by the business end of the nail, I'd say it's likely a decent size and has likely penetrated right through?

Suggestions on how to go about repairing this would be appreciated.
cheers3.gif

(I have a similar kit as this already)

Tire repair kit.jpg

WP_20181111_14_14_02_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20181111_14_14_10_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20181111_14_14_10_Pro.jpg

WP_20181111_14_13_29_Pro (2).jpg

Last edited:
An internal patch is always a bit cleaner. Take it to your tire shop if your installation package includes flat repair. I am doing that tomorrow myself as I found a nail in a tire of mine today, leaking down on the vehicle.

If you don't have that option, pull it and see how long it was and if it penetrated the belt. It might not have. If it did, then plug it. If not, just drive.

Originally Posted by Oro_O
An internal patch is always a bit cleaner. Take it to your tire shop if your installation package includes flat repair. I am doing that tomorrow myself as I found a nail in a tire of mine today, leaking down on the vehicle.

If you don't have that option, pull it and see how long it was and if it penetrated the belt. It might not have. If it did, then plug it. If not, just drive.

The car is still under warranty and these are factory tires and wheels. I am unsure but I am guessing no flat/puncture tire warranty but I will have to look into that.

I hope you're wrong, James Bond, but I was wondering that myself.

Last edited:
If it hasn't lost air since last spring, pull the nail and check with a soap solution/leak detector. It could be just a short nail in the deep rubber edge. In any case, if it leaks, patch it.

Originally Posted by pkunk
If it hasn't lost air since last spring, pull the nail and check with a soap solution/leak detector. It could be just a short nail in the deep rubber edge. In any case, if it leaks, patch it.

I just took these off today and put the snow tires on. I would hazard a guess that this nail hasn't been in very long due to the lack of wear/scrub marks on the head of it.

I'll check tomorrow what the pressure is as maybe it has lost a bit, just not enough yet to trigger the TPM?

You say patch it, as in an internal patch?
21.gif

That's right near the no-go zone for patches. I think you'll have to pull the nail and see-- if there's any angle at all toward the sidewall, it probably can't be plugged/patched. OTOH, if angled toward the other direction, you might be good to plug it.

For me, that location so close to the shoulder (meat/structural portion) would make me want to take it to an expert (tire shop) and let them decide-- I suspect no tire shop would touch it.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
That's right near the no-go zone for patches. I think you'll have to pull the nail and see-- if there's any angle at all toward the sidewall, it probably can't be plugged/patched. OTOH, if angled toward the other direction, you might be good to plug it.

For me, that location so close to the shoulder (meat/structural portion) would make me want to take it to an expert (tire shop) and let them decide-- I suspect no tire shop would touch it.

That's what's making me nervous too.
eek.gif

I am not sure what these tires are worth, but I am guessing they aren't cheap!

I'll check warranty tomorrow then take it from there but if I had to guess, if warranty applies, GM will want to replace it?

Thanks.
cheers3.gif

Its not "near" the no-go zone- it is smack dab in the danger zone
smile.gif
I seriously doubt a tire shop would even agree to attempt to patch it. But maybe you will get lucky, or maybe it is not reaching through the tire. You can always try to patch it yourself. Let us know what happens.

You need to replace the tire. Given that the flash on the shoulder block above the nail is still there, it looks like the tire is relatively new.

Patching at the shoulder blocks, isn't a good idea, because all the stresses that area takes, when you're cornering, the outside shoulder (where the nail is) gets loaded up with stress, which can cause a plug (DIY or patch-plug) to fail.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
You need to replace the tire. Given that the flash on the shoulder block above the nail is still there, it looks like the tire is relatively new.

Patching at the shoulder blocks, isn't a good idea, because all the stresses that area takes, when you're cornering, the outside shoulder (where the nail is) gets loaded up with stress, which can cause a plug (DIY or patch-plug) to fail.

Probably only around 20-23,000 kms on them? (14,000 miles)

I'll let you know how I make out tomorrow if I have time to deal with it?

Still working on getting my son's tires/wheels swapped over which is priority #1 so if I can make some headway on that tomorrow, then my wife's tire might have to way a few days?

Thanks for all the replies/help, guys.
cheers3.gif

looks like a roofing nail. those thing are usually short. i would pull it see if it leaks. if it leaks stuff a plug in it and put it in the rear. take it to a store and they won't touch it . liabilty and all that

Years ago, when I was a poor college student, I found a nail stuck in one of my tires. The tire was not losing air. As I started to pull the nail out, air was escaping. I pushed the nail back in, and the leak stopped. So I got the bright idea of getting some GE Silicone seal, pulling the nail out part way, smearing it with the silicone seal, and pushing it back in. I let it sit for 48 hours. The tire never leaked and I used it until it wore out.

I am not necessarily recommending such an approach, especially with the nail near the edge of the tread. But if you try it, keep that tire on the rear of the car.

Leave it there and drive on the tire. If it's not leaking now, it probably will go many thousands of miles without leaking. You can repair it if it starts to leak, but in my experience it won't.

Originally Posted by Johnny2Bad
Leave it there and drive on the tire. If it's not leaking now, it probably will go many thousands of miles without leaking. You can repair it if it starts to leak, but in my experience it won't.

I had a front tire that had a nail like this on the inner edge, didn't know it was there when the tread was worn down so was the nail, must have been there 20 or 30,000 miles.

Agree you should move to the rear though.

over 2 years ago I patched a nearly new tire, without a puncture warranty, in a similar spot. This is the thick part of the tire, it is hard to get the string thru. Needs glue as lubricant. been fine since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back