Mystik JT8 15w50 HEDO - 2014 Road King, AUG. 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not much to say, been using Mystik JT8 SEMI SYN GAS/DIESEL HEDO 15w50 for quite some time now and still getting the same better then good results.

This recent oil has seen some rare but actual measured temperatures with my digital dipstick in the upper 260s and peaks in the mid 270s during some near 100 degree weather stopped in traffic.
Not a big deal but the highest I ever measured. Normal high speed temperatures are not unusual on long trips, 2up, 80 MPH in the 250 degree range on super hot days, recent high speed trip was 257 degrees coming home from the mountains.
Anyway, all is good, oil can take it. Harley states normal as 230 so the temps are not too high.

I do now have a Lenale engine cooling fan and saw in actual use once its turned on engine oil stabilized and went down slightly. Im not promoting cooling fans, engine and oil is made for heat. I do this stuff for fun projects and I like the look of the new Lenale much better then the horn cover :eek:)

Reports on 7/19/15 and 6/8/15 are Harley Conventional oil.
Reports on 12/12/15, 8/7/16 and 7/29/17 are Mystik JT8 15w50.

I am experimenting with a new oil, Mystik will always be my go to oil and I have GALLONS of it purchased. For fun I am running an experiment on another oil that I just put in. I will post UOA late fall, plan on doing 2 runs with it and then back to Mystik. Reasons for the experiment have nothing to do with Mystik, its performing great, reasons have do to with additive pack vs "film strength" .. which will be explained late fall.

Last edited:
Dang!! Nice Report!! That's a STOUT oil. Very impressive.

With the higher levels of zinc, this would be a great oil in my boat's twin 454's

I've never seen Mystik oil in Texas, where do you get it?

It's listed on O'Reilly's website but I've never actually seen it in the store.

Thanks
I have wondered about this as I got several gallons off of jet.com on sale.
Got the 2 gallon jugs.
Mine is for OPE use
Thanks for the UOA

Here you go- notice the address?

Originally Posted By: Brons2
I've never seen Mystik oil in Texas, where do you get it?

It's listed on O'Reilly's website but I've never actually seen it in the store.

I always buy it online I use Rural King. It's available in a lot of places just like the post above this one that mentions jet.com Yes O'Reilly has it listed but I think you have to go to the store and order it not worth the trouble to me.

Mystic is a Citgo company, the same company that manufactures Harley-Davidson oil.
From what I understand Mystik has a following in the agricultural industry.

Last edited:
Tractor supply and O o o orielys.
Stuff comes from Houston don't ya know.

Last edited:
Rural King near me in Niles, Michigan has some in store . I picked up a jug there a while back.

If your in the North, Mill's Fleet Farm stores stock it in 2 and 5 quart size for the high price of $24.99 and $59.99 respectively

Originally Posted By: GRIMland
If your in the North, Mill's Fleet Farm stores stock it in 2 and 5 quart size for the high price of $24.99 and $59.99 respectively

You have a mistake in there!
You meant to say .. If your in the North, Mill's Fleet Farm stores stock it in 2 and 5 GALLON (not quart) size for the high price of $24.99 and $59.99 respectively

[censored] you right! I didn't notice that... I guess it's not that bad a price after all, might have to try it now. I've got a 2008 Road King and was going to try VR1 dino next because the tappets are so loud with synth (have tried M1 VTWIN and 15w-50). Heard dino oil helps calm the tappet noise. How does the mystik do with top end noise?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brons2
I've never seen Mystik oil in Texas, where do you get it? It's listed on O'Reilly's website but I've never actually seen it in the store.

I have seen it in the O'reilly's in Waco, but it's expensive....

It's WAAAY cheaper at Atwoods. If you catch it on rebate, It's only about $10 a gallon.

Considering I used to buy "Harley" oil at $5 a quart 20 years ago(!) it a STEAL!!

Heard dino oil helps calm the tappet noise. How does the Mystik do with top end noise?

I love it, my Evo is the quietest it's ever been with this oil.

I never used a "full" synthetic in any of my bikes so I cant comment on how the conventional oils I use are more quiet, which I agree the conventional oils are most likely more quiet based on everything I read.

All I know is the engine sounds good using a semi syn and conventional as I have done with all my bikes. :eek:)
Mystik seems quiet to me, I am not concerned about quiet to much as long as wear is low and I am using an oil in the category that the manufacturer recommends which in this case is an HEDO rated oil of CH4 or higher.

I think with your bike owners manual, you have the option to not worry about an HEDO and use a standard oil.
Anyway, no matter all the above, even though I never used it, I suspect you will be thrilled with the conventional Valvoline VR1 in 20w50.

I am currently testing for fun, Valvoline Maxlife 20w50 and will post UOA late fall. Ultimately after 2 runs with the Maxlife I will go back to the Mystik because the Mystik is HEDO rated.

Im just experimenting on my 20K motorcycle to see if an oil with unconventional additive package oil rated by RAT as having a high film strength will beat the Mystik in wear but honestly, when it comes to wear we are all splitting hairs, except if your on the race car circuit maybe.

I can tell you ONE THING FOR SURE, if your looking for QUIET, Valvoline MAXLIFE 20w50 is Q-U-I-E-T , like wow, is it ever.
Maybe the VR1 is too.
Im REALLY interested in how my test comes out, man, we have had more rain this summer then in a decade, last fall too, normally we have 3 months of drought, this year, its like a tropical rain forest. hope to pile on the miles in the coming months and get that UOA done.

Last edited:
Do you have a virgin UOA on the Mystik 15w-50? I think you posted one some time back but it had the photobucket host image error and I couldn't view it.

I just got my first Blackstone kit and will start testing annually. I put less than 3k miles on per year and change oil/filter every fall before winter storage. Currently I have Mobil 1 VTwin in but am concerned about the high ZDDP phos levels with O2 sensor and cat. Thinking about switching from VR1 to M1 15w-50 each year and checking with UOAs. The 15w-50 is known to shear down but I wanted to test it. Seems the Mystik does too a bit, since cSt 50w is 16.3 to 20.9, but I'm still new to reading these.

Plus I've heard that the VR1 dino detergent package is a little light, so going back and forth with the M1 should help with cleaning.

Last edited:
Nope, the VOA is still there but here is a direct link, not that it matters, you can also just look at the additives in the current UOA. You need to be patient waiting for the link to open up.
Mystik VOA May 2015

Newer formula is a bit more robust Magnesium .

Last edited:

You mean gallon, as that's where I buy mine.
Bought the 5 gallon on sale for $29.99

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
It appears they are using an older Oronite Performance Improvement (additive) package.

And your source is
And CJ4 or CK4
And a blanket statement without explaination.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pwr2tow
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
It appears they are using an older Oronite Performance Improvement (additive) package.

And your source is
And CJ4 or CK4
And a blanket statement without explaination.

Not sure of the reason for either statement other then just a statement. I can see some might take MolaKules statement as a negative, as I did but its just a statement without a reason.
Since this is an HEDO oil, nothing really factual about the word "OLDER" and its just an opinion on the makeup of the oil too ... to me would be like saying API is outdated.

With that said, motorcycle oils are manufactured for max engine life vs the latest EPA demands.
I kind of look at Mystik like that as well.

BTW = Facts about the word, click here

And as it is in regards to C rated oils - Click here

With the above said, Mystik is a Ctgo product and the above information is a Chevron product

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back