Mystik JT8 15w40Mystik in Ram EcoDiesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased three 2 gallon jugs of Mystik JT8 15w40 for $43 shipped. Going to use it in my 2015 Ram EcoDiesel next oil changed after our 4th of July camping trip. I'll run it my usual 5k interval (manual says 10k) and get a UOA done. Capacity os 10.5wts so this will get me two OC with a lottle extra for topping off. It'll have a few trips towing our Jay Flight Baja on it too. So far I've ran 5w30, 0w40, and 5w40. I'm wondering if the HTHS 4.3 will show any better wear but my main intent was a low cost oil change that should give the same results as a 5w40 synthetic.

Unless it is freezing at startup. I would guess the 15w-40 will be as good or better than the 5W-40. But then I could be wrong.

Btw... I had to call to get the HTHS viscosity (4.3) since it wasn't on the PDS which they readily provided but when I asked the ratio of Synthetic to Conventional in this bleand they told me that it was proprietary.

In Cali unless you live in Susanville or Truckee (or similar high altitude) in winter you do not need a 5W for anything...

Folks been firing off cold on 15W-40 for about 40 years now. Works fine and is good protection.

JT8 is nice oil. Got a couple of jugs left (from clearance sale) and I use it where ever it'll work
smile.gif

Ya don't over think the 15w40 conventional. Many, many people use it year round up here with no ill effects. If it gets cold, plug the vehicle in.

So I ended up only receiving one 2 gallon jug of JT-8. I asked to return it and they said to keep it and they would refund my money since the listing was incorrect. Good customer service.

So then I only had 8qts out of my needed 10.5qts. I still wanted to do a run to compare so I bought a one gallon jug from O'Reilly. I filled my EcoDiesel with a blend of 8qts CK-4 JT-8 and 2.5qts CJ-4 JT-8 with a little left to top up with.

I'll do a UOA in 5k miles. In the meantime I sent off my sample of M1 TDT 5w40 to be analyzed. I'll post the results when I get thwm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back