Mystery oil loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister's ride is a '02 Toyota Highlander with 1MZ-FE V6 engine. The vehicle is not driven hard, does not puff smoke on start-up, does not leak oil but every time I check the oil level it needs more (M1 5-30, factory spec weight). I wish I could tell you it uses x amount of oil in x miles but I don't have those figures. Each time I check the dip stick (at least every other week) I need to add at least 1/2 quart. I thought maybe the rings were frozen so I added Rislone Engine Oil Treatment but so far there has been no improvement in the oil consumption. Any suggestions where I should look or what I should do next will be appreciated.

The car has about 199,xxx miles. Usually drives about 3/4 highway, 1/4 in town. Other than the oil problem the car drives well and no other problems with the engine. What oil would you guys suggest I change it to?

Last edited:
I'd try Defy 5W-30 for a couple of consecutive oil changes. High mileage oil needs some time to work, so don't be disappointed if you still have to add for the first interval. The tip about the PCV is good too.

The only time I ever have to add oil on my Cavalier is when I take it on the freeway. That could be the case since you said 3/4 of driving is on the highway. As far as an oil that would slow usage I haven't figured that out yet (haven't tried too hard since it only occurs with highway usage). In the Cavalier I have used Castrol Syntec, Pennzoil Ultra, and for the last 40k or so Mobil1 and I have had to add make-up oil to all of them.

Originally Posted By: Mar57
The car has about 199,xxx miles. Usually drives about 3/4 highway, 1/4 in town. Other than the oil problem the car drives well and no other problems with the engine. What oil would you guys suggest I change it to?

Now that my truck almost has 200k on it I can no longer use synthetic in it because the consumption to excessive.

Look for oil in the throttle body and the air plenum upstream of the throttle. There should be a hose from a valve cover to the air plenum. If there is oil in these hoses change the air filter as it might be plugged.
Check the PCV valve or orifice tube for obstructions. Clean/replace as necessary.

These engines are known for sludge. I would pull a valve cover for a look see.
Sludge can block the oil returns making it appear to be low on oil when in fact its sitting in the engine upper areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back