My Wrecked Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mentioned it before, so here's the pics.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=42;t=000200

-

Thanks to Blokey for the tip on posting images with absolutely no effort.
cheers.gif

[ July 28, 2004, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: rpn453 ]

wow it looks like the car failed to protect you.

or did it.

i wonder how other cars would have faired in the same situation?

I bought a new Mazda 3 after this and I think I might have opened the door and walked out of the car if the accident had happened with the new car. The roof shouldn't have buckled, the floorboards and dash shouldn't have moved towards me, and the brake pedal shouldn't have broken my leg.

On the other hand, I did get hit at 60mph mostly on the driver side in a rusty old car by a car that outweighed mine by 300lbs and I lived. The other car (91 Dynasty) faired a lot better, probably because the impact was more centered and straight on (it's in the background).
The Grand Am still looked like a car from the passenger side:

-

For the first few weeks after this I wished I had been driving a 3/4 ton truck, but the bitterness subsided and I suppose it's better that we both lived.

quote:

Originally posted by eljefino:
Two thumbs down for those door-mounted seatbelts.
thumbsdown.gif
thumbsdown.gif

The door mounted seat-belts worked very well during the accident. They kept me in place without internal damage. They are also very, very convenient. I hate having to avoid the seatbelt to access the back seat in a coupe.

However, I hear they're not so good if the door opens during an accident. There is nothing holding the occupant in the car if that happens. Not a problem in my accident since they had to open the door with the jaws.

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
Why? do you know the actual origin and reasons for them?

Yup... GM wanted to save a few bucks on "automatic" seat belts so they engineered a system few used as intended.

Glad that pic was post jaws-of-life. It kinda looks like the door would be open further if not for the taut shoulder belt.

Thanks to the door mounted seat belts in our 92 Grand Am, my wife wasn't injured in a minor accident at all. If it would have had air bags, likely she would have been burned and maybe killed.

quote:

Originally posted by eljefino:

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
Why? do you know the actual origin and reasons for them?

Yup... GM wanted to save a few bucks on "automatic" seat belts so they engineered a system few used as intended.

Glad that pic was post jaws-of-life. It kinda looks like the door would be open further if not for the taut shoulder belt.

Not quite right. Having two reels makes them almost as expensive as the worthless motorized ones. GM wanted to avoid the annoying motorized ones and their problems. Motorized ones only run the shoulder belt, meaning you still have to buckle the lap belt. GM's method lets you bypass the system and still use the belt normally.

-T

Re the free image hosting: You're welcome! I was surprised that even I could post pics. I even started selling stuff on eBay now that I found this free and easy way to host pics.

Glad everyone was OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back