My Wife Noticed (shameless Amsoil Plug)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I own a 2012 Nissan Versa S hatchback with a 6 speed manual. The car was bought new and it has 16500 miles on it. After owning it for about six months, the engine started to make a slight noise when it was cold. It would go away after it warmed up. The noise was worse in the cold winter. The car has used three oils and three filters. The previous oils have been Mobil Clean 5000, Pennzoil yellow bottle, and Smitty's Super S. The car has used OEM Nissan oil filters, Fram Tough Guard, and Puralator PureOne.
This time I installed Amsoil OE 5w-30 and an Amsoil EA oil filter. Amsoil PI was put in the gas tank with a full tank of gas. Now, I did the oil change myself. I am legally blind and can not drive a car, so a neighbor took me to fill up the car. My wife did not know what I did so she knew nothing about the Amsoil. My wife drove the car today with me in it and she asked me what I had done to the car. We both noticed that the car had little to no piston slap. Our car is one of the Nissan models that has reported piston slap in the models made in Mexico. That is what we have.
My wife is about to take a 1200 mile round trip for business. We will see what happens and how the car does on the open road. I can say that Amsoil has made a rather positive first impression.

thumbsup2.gif
Nice

Interesting... my Acura has piston slap and I noticed no difference when using Amsoil in it, along with an EaO oil filter. Glad it's working good for you guys, though!

i wonder if you'd also get the same results with any other "top-of-the-line" synthetics, like PU; or M1 EP or anything else.

One thing though, the first few cycles on the oil always seem smoother as it heats up for the first time. Give it about 500miles of service before rendering final judgement.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Most likely your old oil sheared down before the change. I doubt it was the AMsoil

If that is true, then why did our car have the piston slap when it was cold even on a fresh oil change? The oil nor the filter could break down when it was a fresh oil change could it?
smile.gif
I must admit that I am suprised at the first impression. Time will tell though. My wife is about to make a 1200 round trip with the car. If the engine is still quiet....then I will be sold.

It could also be that the temperature is warm. The real test IMO is during the cold winter months. Either way stick with what's working. If you feel it's the Amsoil oil and their filter stick with it.

As far as I know, piston slap is a skirt length issue (read: design issue) and is not affected by the oil you use. The exception is that you'll note some BITOG'ers mention acoustic differences with different oil base stocks and viscosities.

My piston-slapping '97 Legacy had it BAD, and I do mean bad. I used various dino 5W-30s, Rotella T6, and a couple of other synthetics, and none of it seemed to verifiably effect the piston slap. It literally depended on the day or maybe other atmospheric variables, since it would randomly lessen one day and then sound like death on startup the next morning, with seemingly no environmental changes.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
i wonder if you'd also get the same results with any other "top-of-the-line" synthetics, like PU; or M1 EP or anything else.

One thing though, the first few cycles on the oil always seem smoother as it heats up for the first time. Give it about 500miles of service before rendering final judgement.

That's exactly what I was wondering. Either of those would provide a more apples to apples comparison. Either way, it's always nice when you can do your own maintenance, and tell there is an improvement. Hope it lasts for you.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
As far as I know, piston slap is a skirt length issue (read: design issue) and is not affected by the oil you use. The exception is that you'll note some BITOG'ers mention acoustic differences with different oil base stocks and viscosities.

My piston-slapping '97 Legacy had it BAD, and I do mean bad. I used various dino 5W-30s, Rotella T6, and a couple of other synthetics, and none of it seemed to verifiably effect the piston slap. It literally depended on the day or maybe other atmospheric variables, since it would randomly lessen one day and then sound like death on startup the next morning, with seemingly no environmental changes.

+1, I've noticed no difference in noise in my Acura and I've tried many, many different oils in it.

Originally Posted By: s1mp13m4n
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Most likely your old oil sheared down before the change. I doubt it was the AMsoil

If that is true, then why did our car have the piston slap when it was cold even on a fresh oil change? The oil nor the filter could break down when it was a fresh oil change could it?
smile.gif
I must admit that I am suprised at the first impression. Time will tell though. My wife is about to make a 1200 round trip with the car. If the engine is still quiet....then I will be sold.

Could be temperature, could be how long it sat, could be many things. Piston slap in a cold engine is normal these days with short skirts. Nothing to worry about.

If you thinks its the Amsoil, can you tell us what it is in the Amsoil that has fixed the piston slap? It can only be viscosity, and any dino oil can do that as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
It could also be that the temperature is warm. The real test IMO is during the cold winter months. Either way stick with what's working. If you feel it's the Amsoil oil and their filter stick with it.

Agree with Demar here. I have piston slap in the Accord. I rarely notice it during the warmer months. Once the temps dip below 50 degrees and stay there, boy, does it rear its ugly head-a spine stiffening, clack-clack-clack, that diminishes as the block gets fully warm (8-12 minutes) but on the coldest days never quite goes away.

If Nissan acknowledges an issue with the origin and batch of your Versa, have you no recourse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back