My VW GTI: It’s beginning to smell a lot like citrus!

I have been having a not so fun time with my ‘19 GTI, which has 3,700 miles. A few weeks ago one of the proximity keys caused a “key not found” message so I took it to the dealer. They could not reprogram the key so they ordered a new one. They couldn’t program that one so they ordered another, which they couldn’t program either. So, on the third try they called in a remote troubleshooting engineer and declared the problem repaired. Now, the originally malfunctioning key works but the one that did work doesn’t. I have the 4th service appointment in about a week. I also have a problem with my radio only playing out of the left speakers, sometimes. They say the computer that controls the radio should be replaced but it’s on back order.

So, now I am considering my options, if they can’t fix it:

1. Keep the car and plan on taking it in every 400 to 500 miles on average
2. Sell it. But I’m not going to pass it off on some unsuspecting private buyer and Carvana and Vroom and similar expect you to disclose these sort of problems
3. Ask VW real nice to buy it back
4. Try to get California to declare it a lemon

Any opinions, accounts of similar experiences or advice appreciated!

Thanks, Ray

Any pics on that 87 325es?
FC9E5C5B-7866-4B12-91DF-07F54AAAC3E7.jpeg

Is that Delphin?

I had an 86 325es in CosmosBlau with cloth houndstooth sport seats.
Lovely highway cruiser, especially for it's fuel efficiency and power :cool:

Is that Delphin?

I had an 86 325es in CosmosBlau with cloth houndstooth sport seats.
Lovely highway cruiser, especially for it's fuel efficiency and power :cool:
Yep, Delphin gray. My late father in law bought it new. It’s more reliable than my GTI!

I would stick with it a bit longer. Teething pains? Different dealer? Yours sounds like an incompetent service department.
I would like to keep it. It’s a blast to drive. But I keep thinking, what if I lose the key that works, or it just stops working too? I suspect they will tell me it needs another part that’s on back order. Blame it on the pandemic chip shortage.

I haven’t heard of those issues on VW. Computer that controls audio being on back order means a. It is common issue, b. It has to do something with chip shortages. I am really not expert on lemon laws, but that doesn’t sound like lemon. Yes, it is frustrating, but those issues are more mixed with service incompetence than car being lemon.
That being said, if they cannot resolve audio, that would drive me bananas. Screw the key.

I would like to keep it. It’s a blast to drive. But I keep thinking, what if I lose the key that works, or it just stops working too? I suspect they will tell me it needs another part that’s on back order. Blame it on the pandemic chip shortage.
1. Does the key start the car and it dies? Or doesn't work at all?
2. a computer controlling the audio? Really? It is fender right? The main stereo unit only depends on cluster to display information, chances are you might have a bad amp in the back....(audio computer...LOL)

I don't think these are major problems , I think your dealer is not doing its job.

They probably ordered a mk4 keyfob thinking its mk7.

1. Does the key start the car and it dies? Or doesn't work at all?
2. a computer controlling the audio? Really? It is fender right? The main stereo unit only depends on cluster to display information, chances are you might have a bad amp in the back....(audio computer...LOL)

I don't think these are major problems , I think your dealer is not doing its job.

They probably ordered a mk4 keyfob thinking its mk7.
His audio could have bus that drives it. Don’t assume it is simple connection head unit-amp-speakers. In my BMW I had bad TPMS receiver and audio, main cluster, ac and locks all died. Unitl I pulled TPMS receiver out (5 min job) nothing worked.
He could test amp. Buy cheap speaker and run directly from amp to check is there any sound.

The key will sometimes work if I hold it on the start button. Car does not die. The service adviser referred to the audio part as a computer but the paper work refers to “infotainment electronics control module 3794”. Would a bad amp cause only the left side speakers to work, not the right speakers?

The key will sometimes work if I hold it on the start button. Car does not die. The service adviser referred to the audio part as a computer but the paper work refers to “infotainment electronics control module 3794”. Would a bad amp cause only the left side speakers to work, not the right speakers?
It May or may not be a bad amp, it could be the module, either of the two, but the amps are known to have this problem for some odd reason.

As for the key, do you think it could be the receiver? There is a antenna looking thing hidden and if damaged or sort of loose can do that.

I have been having a not so fun time with my ‘19 GTI, which has 3,700 miles. A few weeks ago one of the proximity keys caused a “key not found” message so I took it to the dealer. They could not reprogram the key so they ordered a new one. They couldn’t program that one so they ordered another, which they couldn’t program either. So, on the third try they called in a remote troubleshooting engineer and declared the problem repaired. Now, the originally malfunctioning key works but the one that did work doesn’t. I have the 4th service appointment in about a week. I also have a problem with my radio only playing out of the left speakers, sometimes. They say the computer that controls the radio should be replaced but it’s on back order.

So, now I am considering my options, if they can’t fix it:

1. Keep the car and plan on taking it in every 400 to 500 miles on average
2. Sell it. But I’m not going to pass it off on some unsuspecting private buyer and Carvana and Vroom and similar expect you to disclose these sort of problems
3. Ask VW real nice to buy it back
4. Try to get California to declare it a lemon

Any opinions, accounts of similar experiences or advice appreciated!

Thanks, Ray

All keys have to be programmed at the same time, they had all keys when they were working on the car?

wait fo the radio to get fixed before offloading

All keys have to be programmed at the same time, they had all keys when they were working on the car?

wait fo the radio to get fixed before offloading
They had all of the keys all three times they worked on it.

Option 3.5. Tell them they can buy it back and save themselves a ton of hassle or you'll lemon law it and force their hand. Call corporate and complain if they don't take you seriously. Dealers hate when they get informed of a complaint to corporate.

too much tech!!! today everything runs thru the PITA screens that control EVERYTHING!!!

too much tech!!! today everything runs thru the PITA screens that control EVERYTHING!!!
No Benjy it doesn't run through the screens. The tech as always been there but instead of one screen you would see it spread out of various dials and screens. Geez.

Some time after I posted (and the seventh unproductive dealer trip) I decided to give it a rest because I was so frustrated. So I put the malfunctioning key away until about a month ago. I was going to try another dealer, but before I made the appointment I gave it another try. It worked fine, as did the key that I had been using. I have been alternating between the two keys and both work as they should. Go figure.

The radio part is still on back order though. I did notice that after an unrelated service visit when they apparently disconnected the battery, the problem occurred the first few times I turned on the radio, then disappeared. I remember one other visit after which it occurred also. Now I’m wondering if they are doing something in the shop that’s causing the glitch.

Back