My VW GTI hit the 100K mile mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Your VW made it to 100K...that is something right there.

That's nothing. Every VW I've owned has gone over 100k except the Scirocco which should get there this year.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: pbm
What is the point of the 'dual mass flywheel"....is it a weight saving measure?....it seems like a solution in search of a problem. I don't recall traditional flywheels needing replacement very often.

Dual mass flywheels are supposed to have smoother engagement at low RPM, like when taking off from a stop. I never really noticed much of a difference though between dual mass and traditional flywheels. I agree they are a solution in search of a problem. Hard to believe they can over complicate a manual transmission, but they did.

The failures do seem more common in higher torque cars such as TDi's and GTi's.

The Focus has a DMF too, and with the factory engine mounts you could drive it around and start off from a stop at very low rpms for 4 cyl. At light acceleration the fuel economy shift light gets you down to 1300-1400 rpm at times so that only works with a DMF. I think alot of people have a terrible habit of letting out the clutch hard without rev matching and I can see how the DMF can't take that for almost every shift forever.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
^^^Shouldn't have to rev match a synchronized transmission.

No, but "popping" the clutch with every shift probably doesn't help the DMF. It's hard to explain but some people seem to shock load the drivetrain on lots of shifts even when driving normally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back