My vehicles deserve SuperTech

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, the cheapest Walmart stuff.

I used to get Castrol, Pennzoil, etc. but now I am noticing that the 1.8L Subaru is burning a lot of oil, about 1qt/700 and 2.3L Ford is almost as bad at 1qt/1000 so I am thinking what the h3ll, these are 10 year old near-disposable vehicles anyway.
Will probably also use it in the 5.7L GM vehicle.

Does using SuperTech vs. a better oil have any measurable impact on anything?

My F250 however, will get the best dino oil I can find, probably Pennzoil. It is just as old but has a low-mileage newer engine. I think that thing can last a decade.

Ok, your the perfect candidate...
grin.gif

I switched over to Pennzoil Long-Life 15w-40 in my truck and noticed a large decrease in consumption from even Delo or Rotella.

No one else on here has tried it though, or at least no one has told me if it reduced their consumption.

Why don't you give Long-Life a try? $1.50 a quart/$6 gallon.

I'm sure you can find that much lying around somewhere...
cheers.gif

Give Jelly's suggestion a try, it can't hurt! And be sure to report back here on the improvement in consumption.

quote:

Originally posted by pacem:
I will try it. I think Walmart has it, it has a large selection of oil.

Around here, both Wal-Mart and Tractor Supply carry it.

One more thing...whatever you get, make sure it is CI-4/SL...I haven't seen any Long-Life bottles in the older spec. around here, but the 5gal. buckets are the old spec. Might be different in your part of the country though.

[ November 24, 2003, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

The 1.8L Subaru consumption sharply went up recently, I had to put in half a quart in about 350 miles, it seems. I am going to check the PCV valve, it hasn't been touched in probably 180K miles, maybe that will fix it.

That 1.8L EFI engine only has 95K on it, but from what I hear, Subarus burn a lot of oil. So does 2.3L Ford engine.

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:
Ok, your the perfect candidate...
grin.gif

I switched over to Pennzoil Long-Life 15w-40 in my truck and noticed a large decrease in consumption from even Delo or Rotella.

No one else on here has tried it though, or at least no one has told me if it reduced their consumption.

Why don't you give Long-Life a try? $1.50 a quart/$6 gallon.

I'm sure you can find that much lying around somewhere...
cheers.gif

I've tried Pennzoil LL, and it reduced my consumption a bit compared to Pennzoil 10W30. However, this car is probably a candidate for Auto-RX since it has a few minor leaks, and I suspect the ring are pretty dirty. I plan on doing two treatments of Auto-RX in the spring on the LL oil. I will likely continue to run LL oil after the treatments.

I was going to suggest an AutoRX treatment. Yeah- its not cheap, but it is effective. Did a treatment to my GF's beetle, which everyone is probably sick of hearing, and it worked very well. Her consumption before was about 1 qrt every 1000 miles (leaking and burning) and now is almost undetectable. Not only that, its been cleaning the motor and seems to run better and stronger.

For your Subaru, try Kendall 10W-50. It should help a lot with the oil consumption. Subaru engines, especially older ones, seem to prefer thicker weights. In the summer you can try straight 30 or even 40. Subaru specifically allows all these weights.
cheers.gif
Kendall 10W-50 specs

quote:

You know, the cheapest Walmart stuff.

The biggest thing that you will notice is the extra money to go have a few beers.
cheers.gif

quote:

ST used to be provided by Quaker State. However with the shuttering of the blending plant in Louisiana, the word is that ST is now supplied by "Warren Performance Products" and has the same product data sheet specs as Sears Spectrum motor oils. It's probably competitive with other conventional API "SL" motor oils. I previously used ST 10W-30 in my cars. The only reason I don't still use it is I found Chevron Supreme 10W-30 on closeout at Target several months ago for 68 cents/qt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back