My truck overheated and blew off the lower hose? Wonder what damage there was.

The E4OD in my RV works mint. Sits behind a 460 getting 7.6 MPG pushing a lot of air out of the way, and pulling 12k lbs. These aren't awful trucks.

Ha! Funny you should mention that. When I filled it up in the ditch and started it, I thought the heater core blew out because I heard a a whoosh and running water in the heater core for a second. It was definitely nose up.

I don't know the criteria, but according to the owner's manual - when an overheat is present , it will alternate pairs of 4 cylinders. When it gets really hot, it will shut the engine off completely.

Insurance on medium duty trucks can be a bit on the high side and I'd want something pre-emissions if it's a diesel. But 6.0L gas powered Isuzus do get a second look on FB Marketplace and CL. Possibly E-350s but apparently 4.6 and 5.4L powered van/wagons have the same 4R70/5 transmission as my grand marquis or a F-150. Not sure how I feel about that trans for my use. However, friends of mine who are mechanics rarely if ever do transmissions in E-series vans but apparently frequently in the GM vans.

I beat the snot out of a couple 2006 5.4L E350's with Knapheide work bodies. Both had 250K plus on them. One was even running on 2 quarts of oil somehow and didn't even make a noise. Added 4 quarts of oil and nothing bad ever happened. They were so overloaded going up 81 to New York you had your foot to the floor around the Ravine, PA area and then close to I-80 area in Hazleton. Never skipped a beat and they didn't go through transmissions. They were all serviced every 5K miles religiously and the owner fixed whatever needed to be no questions asked.

They were so overloaded going up 81 to New York you had your foot to the floor around the Ravine, PA area and then close to I-80 area in Hazleton.

I know the hill! When we go to Rausch Creek off road park, we stay at the Uncomfortable In right off 81 in Pine Grove.

I've got a dashcam video of mine going up that hill towing the jeep. 45 in 3rd gear with the pedal firmly on the floor.

I know the hill! When we go to Rausch Creek off road park, we stay at the Uncomfortable In right off 81 in Pine Grove.

I've got a dashcam video of mine going up that hill towing the jeep. 45 in 3rd gear with the pedal firmly on the floor.

It was even worse in my little 2014 Transit Connect with the 2.0L 4 cylinder I was issued climbing that "hill". GVW in that thing was 5000lbs and I'm pretty sure with equipment and my fat butt I was over that. :ROFLMAO:

I drove that route in my GTI once and it didn't even sneeze at that. Ahhh turbochargers...

and then close to I-80 area in Hazleton. Never skipped a beat and they didn't go through transmissions.

That section on 81N where 80 merges in I would usually get my truck up to 80 in 4th gear and just hold it to the floor. At the top I'd be doing 50. One time we snuck up through Danville and over 80 to 81N but that was rough. 80 must have been a block highway at some point?

Good to hear they don't have too many transmission problems. The cab/chasis and diesels got heavier trans. It seems like the vans/wagons with the 5.4s got the lighter 4R75? The few I've looked at had the same trans pan as my grand marquis. A low mileage RV that had racoons or something in it would work great. chop the back off and add a hitch.

It was even worse in my little 2014 Transit Connect with the 2.0L 4 cylinder I was issued climbing that "hill". GVW in that thing was 5000lbs and I'm pretty sure with equipment and my fat butt I was over that. :ROFLMAO:

I drove that route in my GTI once and it didn't even sneeze at that. Ahhh turbochargers...

Now that I use rental trucks. The limiting factor could be the trailer tires ;)

Beautiful area though. I remember going down there occasionally and loving the hills. Works out great that as a hobby I'm going down there 3-4 times a year!

We're going to be down there end of next month. Rausch creek Saturday and AOAA Sunday. I'm playing passenger but looking forward to having "fun" driving the grand marquis on 125 between the parks. It's a fun road in something that's not a land yacht.

What engine and what year is the truck?

2-valve 5.4 in a 2001 F350.

Back