My trip to Harriman NY WalMart

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a return trip from New Jersey to Vermont, I was passing through this town today and saw a really big WalMart that I had not been to before. So like any self-respecting BITOG member, I checked out the oil department, with special interest in Mobil 1 Truck and SUV, Mobil 1 0w-40, and Shell Rotella Synthetic 5w-40, which I read in another post WalMart will no longer be carrying after inventory on hand runs out.

There was exactly ONE quart of M1 T&SUV on the shelf (which I had not seen before at any other WM) so I bought it. There was plenty of 0w-40 on the shelf. There were three gallons of Rotella Syn left on the shelf, which I bought.

I was kind of puzzled by the fact that there was only one quart of M1 T&SUV on the shelf. It appears some other oil nut beat me to it, but why was one quart left???

And I looked at the Syntec and it was all made in the USA. I have never seen a German Castrol in a store, but I have not looked all that hard.

Welcome to my neck of the woods. That is the Wal-Mart where I do my oil buying. When I was in there 2 weeks ago, there was as much Mobil 1 T&SUV on the shelf as other grades of Mobil 1. People must be buying it. You must have been in there on a Monday. The shelves are usually bare after the weekend. Of the 3 Wal-Marts in this area, this one has the best supply and selection of oils. By the middle of the week the shelves are stocked up again. The only place to get GC around here is Auto Zone. There is one in Newburgh, NY just off exit 17 of the NYS Thruway and in Middletown, NY which is west of Harriman off of route 17. You must have been alone or your wife (or girlfriend) would have dragged you into Woodbury Commons, a very large retail outlet which is just a stones throw from that Wal-Mart.

OK Frank:

Here in Vermont, we are only allowed teeny WalMarts, so this was my opportunity to see how the big time folks do.
grin.gif

Actually, I was there about Tuesday at noon. I asked the clerk in the automotive area if he had any more Truck & SUV in the back, and he said that whatever was on the top shelf in case boxes was his entire inventory
spaz.gif

I would like to buy a bottle of German Castrol, if nothing else, to use as air freshener since it supposedly smells so nice
smile.gif

Next time I pass through, I will try to do it late in the week to see if the shelves are better stocked. And yes, I was alone, and avoided pesky Woodbury Commons.

That Wal-Mart in Harriman is only about 3 years old. There has been a lot of new commercial construction in the Harriman area in the past few years. There was a big Wal-Mart in Middletown that was only about ten years old and it was replaced by a brand new super Wal-Mart only a year ago. Orange County, NY is the first or second fastest growing community in New York State and probably in the top ten in the country. Lots of people and now lots of stores. Good luck on your next trip to Harriman, the store stock should be better later in the week.

When scoping out a new (to me) Walmart, I look for Chevron Supreme in the close-out section for $0.75 per quart.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

I've been to that Wally's a number of times. In the evening the oil selection is pretty slim. Frank D, maybe you get there earlier in the day?

I wonder if the Chevron is being phased out with Havoline replacing it as the new S/T oil bottles look a lot like Chevron bottles?

I was in a Wally's in Westchester County tonight and the S/T filters were back. I think they've got a new guy in automotive and he's getting on top of things.

I guess you were in the one on rt 6. I work in Westchester so occasionally I stop in there. I like Harriman's oil selection best. I usually stop in there on Thursday nights on my way home after a 3-11 shift. It is not very crowded at that time so I get in and out pretty quickly. There is usually someone stocking up the oil shelves at that time of the night. I don't know if this is true or not, but the guy in charge of the Newburgh Wally's automotive section told me that Chevron would sell the Havoline products in the areas of the country where the Havoline brand was strong and Chevron products in the parts of the country where the Chevron brand was strong.

[ July 23, 2004, 12:21 AM: Message edited by: Frank D ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back