My trans finally blew

That’s a good lifespan! Most people would be very happy with that kind of mileage. Are you getting it rebuilt?

I also have an 04 avalanche w 150,xxx miles. I don’t tow, but I do use it as a truck. Mine has the trans cooler that’s connected to the rad. I think 225k miles is good on the tranny. Are you re building it? New trans? Salvage yard trans?

Yes, I had to think about, but the Avalanche is in good overall condition, so I narrowly decided to rebuild.
I would probably replace the radiator as you don't want any junk from the trans failure going into the rebuilt trans. I don't know if the trans portion of the radiator can be flushed. @clinebarger would know. Clinebarger suggested a trucool lpd cooler, and thats what i have . My trans never gets over 170 in the summer, towing close to 7k.

I also have an 04 avalanche w 150,xxx miles. I don’t tow, but I do use it as a truck. Mine has the trans cooler that’s connected to the rad. I think 225k miles is good on the tranny. Are you re building it? New trans? Salvage yard trans?
Rebuild. I will check about adding a cooler (if I don't already have one).

No third gear. After about 25-30 mph the engine screams but won't upshift any more. The rpms go to 5K-6K. I took a video of it on my phone and showed it to the guy at the trans shop and he immediately said I lost 3rd.

Yeah man... Texas is huge ... Interstate 10 goes for over 800 miles east to west from Beaumont to El Paso... Amazing how far it is. And from Brownsville to Amarillo is quite a hail too.

When 3rd goes isn't it the 3-4 band being worn out? Need a trans build but no carnage, which means, flush the cooler that is in the radiator and carry on--it simply plain wore out. Hopefully the parts list for rebuild won't be bad.

if this unit went 225k then I suspect you don't need an extra cooler. Just my opinion, but if you "needed" another cooler then this one wouldn't have gone the distance.

Good luck on unit #2.

Dude they're on the opposite side of the state its over 600 miles, they tow alone would be 1k😄
A number of years ago we took a winter vacation in southern Texas. A winter storm came along just about the time to go home so we got up early and drove as hard as we could all day through increasingly bad weather. Come sundown, with warnings of possible road washouts and possible tornadoes ahead, we called it a day. And we were still in Texas. Texas is a very big place!

Back