My thoughts on high mileage oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does hm oil seem to get a bad rep for being used in a non leaker vehicle?

I did a little calling around (Xom, Sopus, and Valvoline) as well as asking my mechanic about hm oils and they all said it will only attack seals that are worn out because of their thousands of mile usage. New seals or ones that don't leak won't be affected because they are still in good condition.

Most of you here know this, but feel free to continue reading. Why use a hm oil if you don't have a leak? Hm oils offer a more stout add pack for higher mileage vehicles with zinc etc that help combat wear. Plus QS Defy and VML are an exceptional value for being blends.

Here's my personal opinion: Run whatever you want according to a UOA. If you or someone else with your engine has great scientific results, go for it and be worry free. If you do get a leak after hm oil usage, chances are the seal was going out the door anyways.. Or it was already leaking, just very slowly and much less noticeable to where it was considered consumption rather than a lose due to a leak.

The local Mazda and Volvo dealers use VML for their shop as well. New or old car.. It all gets the same unless specified. I'm sure other shops do the same thing.

I'm only posting this because I feel QS Defy and VML (haven't read too much about Xom hm oils) are highly overlooked, while a few here consider it one of their favorite oils. When my stash is depleted, I plan on giving both a try, as well as a UOA in my non leaking/ high oil consuming Jeep 4.0. I blame you all for my obsession btw.

If anyone wants to add to my thoughts, set me straight on an incorrect way of thinking, add another hm oil I left out, feel free to. I'll be curious. Also the VML ATF fluid also interests me, but I don't believe they offer the ATF+4 for my Chrysler transmission. I'd run it if I could.

HM oils are a very good. We had a former XOM sales guy on here and he confirmed that there is zero harm in using a HM in a new engine. Seal conditioners are found in all oils, HM just have a tad more. The products that can cause problems are flushes. HM oils are thoroughly tested against all OEM seals for compatibility. You're getting slightly more detergency and seal conditioners.

From the last place I recall a typical high mileage oil will contain roughly double the seal conditioners as a non high mileage oil.

Most high mileage oils are still api SL and you may need better deposit control with an API SN which Is one reason. You may also need resource conserving for better fuel mileage.

I run Maxlife and Mobil 1 High Mileage in my Taurus because it drinks oil, but my Buick won't use a drop in 5k+ so it only gets PP/PU atm.

Only ever used hm oil once (castrol) never noticed anything different tbh.

How can you condition an engine seal anyway?

Originally Posted By: BertieBlue
Only ever used hm oil once (castrol) never noticed anything different tbh.

How can you condition an engine seal anyway?

Over time (give or take 100,000+) they shrink, harden, wear etc. The seal conditioner swells it back up to its original state. Either permanently or temporarily.. Or it just slows the leak. I've read about different results on here.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Most high mileage oils are still api SL and you may need better deposit control with an API SN which Is one reason. You may also need resource conserving for better fuel mileage.

I thought I had heard that certain grades of Maxlife are API SN, ISLAC GF-5, Resource Conserving, and even Dexos approved.

Originally Posted By: justinh384

I thought I had heard that certain grades of Maxlife are API SN, ISLAC GF-5, Resource Conserving, and even Dexos approved.

Valvoline MaxLife 5w30 is all the above.

Originally Posted By: jmb106

Valvoline MaxLife 5w30 is all the above.

Thanks. Do you know whether the 5w20 Maxlife carries any of the same specs?

I have zero issue using any of SN ILSAC GF5 HM oils... VML, GTX HM, M1 HM, Mobil Super HM etc.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
If you buy High Mileage oil for your car, you are admitting to yourself that your car is now a worn out heap. You refuse to accept that, therefor you will not buy High Milage oil. It's all psychology. The oil companies should put a picture of a race car on the bottle or something. They need to change the image of High Mileage oil.

You may be onto something. HM oils all seem to be marketed as being for vehicles with 75,000+ miles, which I don't consider high mileage at all. Way too many vehicles going strong well past the 200K mark.

Some are resource conserving but not all. M1 HM is still API SL AFAIK.

Originally Posted By: wemay
I have zero issue using any of SN ILSAC GF5 HM oils... VML, GTX HM, M1 HM, Mobil Super HM etc.

I'm sorry for the erroneous info... your right 901Memphis, M1 HM is SL. SL is allowed by Hyundai in my vehicle which is the reason for the slip up.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You don't wanna admit to yourself that your car has high mileage.

You think high mileage oil is for old, worn out cars.

That's a pretty broad (and false) generalization. As mentioned, HM oil gets a bad reputation for being used in a non leaking car. Mine doesn't leak since I had the RMS fixed. I was using M1 HM when I first came to this site and many people told me to get it out of there despite it fixing my leak.

What oil companies seem to consider high mileage is about 75,000. I'm double that and still going strong. I'm hoping for another 150,000+.

As for me thinking HM oil is for old worn out cars, I consider this whole thing I be like the Pennzoil wax wives tale. People are just going by what they hear and are calling it fact. The mentality is here to stay IMO.

Do you guys think HM oils work well as a preventive measure against leaks? In an older and higher mileage vehicle doesnt currently leak would it be beneficial to make the switch just to help curb leaks in the future by some margin? Seems thats how some are marketed yet I only see members here recommending them when people have already sprung but it seems almost better to prevent it altogether if possible.

I would appreciate your opinion on my situation:

Mazda 3, 2.0 petrol, direct injection, almost 45k miles. Driven mostly urban and highway and maybe 20% country roads, mostly easy driving at lower RPMs. I change the oil every 10,000kms (20,000kms is the highest limit given by the manufacturer).

It consumes approximately 0.75l of oil per 10,000kms (that is 1.2qt per 10,000 miles). There is no evident oil leak. Engine is clean. I know it is not high consumption but I was thinking about trying high mileage oil (Maxlife is the only available HM oil here) and see whether the oil consumption will decrease. It could revitalise valve gaskets a bit if they are responsible for the oil consumtpion. The problem is my Mazda dealer insists on using Mazda original oil and I am very satisfied with their services otherwise so I do not want to change the dealer.

There is Valvoline engine stop leak product available here and they claim it can revitalise the gaskets and seals. Do you think it is worth a try to mix it with the Mazda oil? I know many people are against oil aditives and I agree. But this is Valvoline so I kind of trust it more
smile.gif

Or should I stop doing experiments and simply top up oil regularly?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back