My theory on Mobil 1R

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this in another unrelated thread about A3 oil:

If this oil isn't just regular 0w30 with more addities, I think the "secret" behind it is the same thing that can be found in the product description of Mobil 1 15w50: It has more SuperSyn in it. The SuperSyn PAO comes in lower vis grades, too, so Mobil may have derived this racing formula from a blend of various SuperSyn PAO grades, with very little (if any) conventional PAO.

The more I think about it, the more that makes sense, actually. Again, remember: Mobil 1 trumpeted the "SuperSyn formula" as having been developed in conjunction with racing. I believe this "trick" PAO that George has been told about by someone at Mobil is nothing more than SuperSyn PAO. If this Mobil 1R is not just regular 0w30 with more ZDDP, it's probably a "Super SuperSyn" Mobil 1, i.e., the one grade of Mobil 1 that is built entirely with the SuperSyn PAO.

Note the wording of the official ExxonMobil press release:

Previously available only to professional racing teams, the Mobil 1 Racing formula combines the best of Mobil 1's patented SuperSyn™ technology with boosted levels of anti-wear additives, giving maximum protection and minimizing internal friction for exceptional power output.

Good catch. But there is one problem-I believe that SuperSyn comes in the much higher viscosities. I believe the lowest is the "150" grade whic means 150- cSt. @ 100C. That translates to a thickness 10 times higher than a 40 wt. oil
dunno.gif
. I am fairly sure their trade Technical name is SpectraSyn Ultra

Perhaps they blended it with a much thinner PAO like 2, 2B etc....SpectraSyn
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
Good catch. But there is one problem-I believe that SuperSyn comes in the much higher viscosities. I believe the lowest is the "150" grade whic means 150- cSt. @ 100C. That translates to a thickness 10 times higher than a 40 wt. oil
dunno.gif
. I am fairly sure their trade Technical name is SpectraSyn Ultra

Perhaps they blended it with a much thinner PAO like 2, 2B etc....SpectraSyn
dunno.gif

Back before ExxonMobil renamed their entire line of PAO basestocks, the SuperSyn PAO was listed in lighter grades than 150 cst. I don't remember how low they went, though. Based on the wording of ExxonMobil's press release about the renaming to SpectraSyn, it seems what used to be labeled SuperSyn now spans both SpectraSyn and SpectraSyn Ultra, with the "Ultra" moniker reserved for grades of 150 cst and up.

[ February 01, 2004, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: G-Man II ]

The EM news article also specifically states "outstanding shear stability". I don't think M1 regular 0w-30 fits that so something else is going on. Once EM finally releases the PDS, we will know.

quote:

Mobil 1 Racing 0W-30 also incorporates anti-wear technology to help protect supercharged, turbocharged and high-revving engines with outstanding shear stability and a robust additive package to extend engine life.

[ February 01, 2004, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
The EM news article also specifically states "outstanding shear stability". I don't think M1 regular 0w-30 fits that so something else is going on. Once EM finally releases the PDS, we will know.

I'm still bothered about the Mobil 1R and regular Mobil 1 0w30 having the exact same VI of 175. If the Mobil 1R was getting all of its vis spread from the VI of the base oil blend, I would expect it to have a lower VI than regular 0w30.

You are probably right. It may be an older reference. Some of the data sheets said 1996 and some 2003
dunno.gif

Check this out Mobil1 (R) 0W-20 ????????????????

[ February 01, 2004, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: Al ]

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
You are probably right. It may be an older reference. Some of the data sheets said 1996 and some 2003
dunno.gif

Check this out Mobil1 (R) 0W-20 ????????????????

The (R) means "Registered Trademark." This is not Mobil 1 Racing in a 0w20 grade.
grin.gif
This is just regular Mobil 1 0w20.

quote:

I'm still bothered about the Mobil 1R and regular Mobil 1 0w30 having the exact same VI of 175. If the Mobil 1R was getting all of its vis spread from the VI of the base oil blend, I would expect it to have a lower VI than regular 0w30

Agree. Right now it doesn't look too promissing. I just can't believe it's the same though. Your talking about a 3.1 HT/HS oil running in high hp cars. I still think its the way it's blended in terms of the base stock. Maybe Molekule can guess at what it will be?

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Your talking about a 3.1 HT/HS oil running in high hp cars.

The latest data sheet for regular Mobil 1 0w30 says HT/HS is 2.9.

Even worse.
confused.gif
I wish they would hurry the **** up and release some data.
mad.gif

It could contain more esters as well like the 0w-20 which shows outstanding UOA's.

[ February 01, 2004, 10:05 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back