My Test begins, Castrol Edge in 1998 Corvette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because my last few UOAs have shown some wear (increased lead), I have changed from Mobil 1 to Castrol Edge 5W-30 (and as always, I use a WIX oil filter). Later, after 6500 miles or so (I go by OLM), we will see if Edge has 8 times less wear.

Oh, BTW, I am aware that you can't always consider UOA numbers to show actual wear (according to some). But, something has changed the last 3 years, and maybe it was Mobil 1's formula? Maybe it is just my engine normally wearing (it has 119,681 miles on it). We shall see.

Here are my "increased lead" readings (note: I do not do a UOA every oil change)

Miles / Lead (ppm) / (Date)

64,168 / 7 / (5/2003)

95,517 / 11 / (4/2006)

107,315 / 20 / (9/2007)

113,499 / 18 / (6/2008)

Last edited:
Should be interesting. It's possible that with your mileage, you need a thicker oil. As an engine ages, it wears and some times you have to bump up a grade in viscosity.

I think Edge will work well. Does look like a very good oil.

These pb levels are still quite a bit under the acceptable level of wear. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

It could be as simple as the lab using diff equipment than they were 6 years ago.

BTW, you don't mention how many miles are on each sample, and the only way for trending to be valid is to sample the oil at exactly the same mileage each time.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

These pb levels are still quite a bit under the acceptable level of wear. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

It could be as simple as the lab using diff equipment than they were 6 years ago.

BTW, you don't mention how many miles are on each sample, and the only way for trending to be valid is to sample the oil at exactly the same mileage each time.

Blackstone Labs says the average lead is 7 ppm. for this engine.

Good point, since I use the OLM, miles on oil was pretty constant, see below:

Miles / Lead (ppm) / (Date) / miles on oil sample

64,168 / 7 / (5/2003) / 6,036

95,517 / 11 / (4/2006) / 5,773

107,315 / 20 / (9/2007) / 6,127

113,499 / 18 / (6/2008) / 6,183

I drive my Corvette fairly easy. Of course, I do occasionally "open it up" (WOT) briefly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Steve S
Is just the lead increasing?

Yes, the iron has always been slightly high, but no increasing trend (17-27 ppm, with Blackstone Labs saying 15 is the average for this engine). BUT, remember this is an aluminum block engine with aluminum heads.

It sounds like you and I drive fairly similarily, as my OLM in my 98 Corvette usually signals an oil change around 6000-7000 as well. My lead numbers are a lot less than this though, and mine has 104,000 miles on it right now. Hopefully Edge gives you the results you are seeking! I'm definitely interested in seeing how it performs in the LS1, even though that oil is not available up here.

I'm definately interested. Even though I'm one of the people that don't like UOAs for determining wear, you have enough previous UOAs to tell if the oil makes a difference, whatever that difference may be. I've always wondered if all it would take is one small dirt particle to make it's way into a rod or main bearing and spin around a few times to really raise the lead readings. How's the copper?

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
I'm definately interested. Even though I'm one of the people that don't like UOAs for determining wear, you have enough previous UOAs to tell if the oil makes a difference, whatever that difference may be. I've always wondered if all it would take is one small dirt particle to make it's way into a rod or main bearing and spin around a few times to really raise the lead readings. How's the copper?

Copper runs 2-3 ppm, well under average of 35 ppm. None of other metals are high or have an increasing trend.

Actually, at my first high lead reading, Blackstone Labs said that it might just be a "streak", but then I had another high reading. But they noted that other metals and "top end" wear looked okay.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: brian12

How is your car running with the Castrol? Any new noises? At 7.47 a quart it seems like Edge is overpriced to me.

You can get it for $34 for 5 quart jugs at WallMart.

My Vette is running just fine on Edge, if anything it is quieter and has slightly better oil pressure. But this could be just due to replacing old oil and filter.

If it solves my "wearing" problem, it is well worth the cost over Mobil 1. After my initial 6500 mile run, depending on results, I may just increase my OCI. My OLM uses a base of 10,000 miles maximum, newer Corvettes (same generation as mine) use 15,000 miles maximum, since GM learned from their engineering studies. So I could easily do 9,000 miles with regular synthetic oil, and Edge is guaranteed for 1 year/15,000 miles.

Last edited:
I made another post about Mobil 1 wear, but here are the details:

This article has a good graph of how Mobil 1 technically did not even pass the Seq. IVA wear test. You need a result of less than 90 microns and Mobil 1 got 180 microns. Both Valvoline and Castrol EDGE were at 20 microns or less, but any less than 35 microns is "statistically" the same result.

http://www.jobbersworld.com/March 20, 2009.htm

Here is graph of results:

artwor55.jpg

Last edited:
Pennzoil refraining from that "x times better" nonsense gives them more credit in my eyes.

Im interested in how it does in the LS1. Ive been running GC and Im just looking for an oil that is easier to find.

Although by the time you change your oil it could be next year!! haha

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
Originally Posted By: brian12

How is your car running with the Castrol? Any new noises? At 7.47 a quart it seems like Edge is overpriced to me.

You can get it for $34 for 5 quart jugs at WallMart.

My Vette is running just fine on Edge, if anything it is quieter and has slightly better oil pressure. But this could be just due to replacing old oil and filter.

If it solves my "wearing" problem, it is well worth the cost over Mobil 1. After my initial 6500 mile run, depending on results, I may just increase my OCI. My OLM uses a base of 10,000 miles maximum, newer Corvettes (same generation as mine) use 15,000 miles maximum, since GM learned from their engineering studies. So I could easily do 9,000 miles with regular synthetic oil, and Edge is guaranteed for 1 year/15,000 miles.

Are you sure you actually have a "wear" problem?

Have you read Doug's article?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/index.php?...month&Itemid=78

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
You need a result of less than 90 microns and Mobil 1 got 180 microns. Both Valvoline and Castrol EDGE were at 20 microns or less, but any less than 35 microns is "statistically" the same result.

I think you misread that part maybe. The no stat sig results was the comparison of the two oils represented on the right. 90 microns higher than the cutoff is almost three times the standard deviation. There would be no "technically" passing the test.
M1 would have failed the test and failed GF-4. Simple as that.
I'm really surprised no one mentioned that, having seen this chart in a few places now. Or maybe they did and I missed their post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back