My take on synthetic oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being new around here, I realize my opinion is not valued, I also have a limited knowledge regarding oil analysis, oil additives, and just motor oil in general. But I do have eyes, and common sense, and this is a report on what I have seen.
I recently have been pondering running M1 5w30 in my new truck. My wifes car was coming due for an oil change, so I tried it in her car first. 2003 Chevy Cavalier 2.2L engine 5K miles.
I stopped to check the oil today, after driving in traffic in some very hot weather. Th M1 5w30
dunno.gif
just completely rolled off the dipstick leaving hardly any residue. It appears that it just is too thin and thins out like water under severe conditions. The temperature gauge was also about 10 degrees hotter at idle that with the previous oil.
This is the first and last time I use M1. I never had this problem with Havoline.
Cheers!
SoftPoint

"after driving in traffic in some very hot weather"
Here you go.
IMO, you engine overheating has nothing to do with your oil choice.
However, use your Halvoline for your peace of mind.

Doesn't matter whether you're new around here or a long-time veteran--your opinion is just as valuable as that of anyone else. Welcome. Stick around.

Take some time to read and learn. It's possible that you rethink what may turn out to be a hasty conclusion about that motor oil. Maybe not. Just understand that synthetic oils don't look, smell, or behave like distilled dinosaur.

It is likely that the M1 appeared thinner. Doesn't mean the oil wasn't lubing as well - we know there is more to an oil than apparent viscosity.

I do find it unlikey that the M1 caused your car to run 10° hotter.

Well first of all since most cars do not have oil temperature gauges. Reading the coolant temperature can be a tad misleading. Concerning the Mobil One 5w-30. Perhaps the best thing to ask is what is specified for the car? On three of 4 current vehicles 5w-30 is specified and I use Mobil One 5w-30 in all of them with app 15k oil and filter change intervals. The other one I use Mobil Delvac 1 which is a 5w-40 diesel oil that is also SL and SJ compatible.

[ August 04, 2003, 11:36 PM: Message edited by: ruking77 ]

SoftPoint, the first and only time I ever tried Mobil 1 5W-30, it seemed to be too thin to use in my car, even though 5W-30 oil was the preferred viscosity in that car. But Mobil 1 10W-30 worked well in my car. Of course, the Mobil 1 5W-30 was an older formula, and no doubt the Mobil 1 of today is much better.

Some people at this site still consider Mobil 1 to be somewhat on the thin side. And some feel that Mobil 1 could use more Moly, etc. Some think it depends on the engine-some engines seem to run well with Mobil 1 and others do not.

Recently I checked out a post where several people at this web site said that they have trouble going past 3000 miles on oil changes. If this is widespread, then perhaps we do need to consider using conventional oil (except for people who have to use synthetic oil, such as Corvette owners-only synthetic oils meet the GM heat requirements).

In other posts at this web site, some have said that any oil, conventional or synthetic, can be used for 7500 miles. Personally, I don't believe in such a blanket statement-it depends on vehicle, miles driven, condition of vehicle, etc. And, if you are using a conventional oil that costs about a dollar a quart, and an oil change with new filter is going to cost you ten bucks, why not change the oil at 3000-4000 miles? What is the point of trying to go 7500 miles on an oil that costs a dollar a quart-even if the oil can do it? What are you proving, and is the point even worth proving if the oil costs a buck a quart?

On the other hand, if we can safety drive 7500 miles on one oil change, we conserve oil, the environment, reduce cost and reduce the number of times we have to get under the car.

SoftPoint,

I ditto what YZF150 said on two counts: (1) don't put yourself down because you are new and learning (aren't we all at some stage of the learning part); (2) do read and listen and don't make hasty judgements. Case in point in specific response to your comments on M1: I will tell you I have run M1 (Group IV) and semi-synthetics Castrol, Pennzoil, Valvoline and Shell (Group III or III/IV mixes) in all makes and models of vehicles ranging up to 126,000 miles on the odo and in all driving conditions from the autobahns of Europe to stop and go in the US and from sub-zero temps to triple digits. I have never had a problem with these oils. I have used 0W30 to 5W50 without incident. What I am trying to say is that after one experience you are ready to write off synthetics and I am sharing with you many experiences that are positive; and there are people on this board who make me look like an amateur both in knowlege and in experience with using these oils in all sorts of vehicles with mileage approaching or surpassing 200K. Look at all the info and then, if Havoline is still the oil for you, we'll say, "Softpoint, enjoy your Havoline for many, many miles." Just make sure your decision is based on sufficient data, not on one experience or impression. Assuming something weird wasn't going on in your motor, I will tell you the M1 did not cause the 10º temperature difference and since you are not familiar with synthetics you shouldn't make a judgement based on appearance. As YZF150 said, stick around an join the rest of us as we learn our way through these issues.
cheers.gif

Mobil 1 has proven to be one of the best oils on the market. There are so many things that happen to an engine/oil it is hard to say what caused this. The temp in my 5.3 V8 is at around 200F I think and it NEVER goes up even in 100f weather. Do a UOA and that will tell you how it is protecting the engine. My Mom and Dad just bought a 2003 Cavalier. Nice little car, I would buy one if I needed a little run a round car. It feels very solid much better then their 2002 Civic that they traided in for it. They got a lemon with that Civic! It went through 3 transmissions in 10,000 or so miles and a bunch of other problems!

I CAN TELL U THIS I THINK MOBIL 1 IS NOT THAT GREAT I JUST PUT SOME IN MY 1990 FORD VAN WITH 115000 MILES I MIXED 5 QUARTS 1550 WITH 1 QUART 1030 AND THE ENGINE SEEMS TO HAVE A LITTLE BIT OF A LOWER END NOISE IT DID NOT HAVE BEFORE THE TRUCK DOES NOT RUN ANY DIFFRENT AT ALL TO ME IT,S JUST A WASTE OF MONEY

quote:

Originally posted by jc1990:
I CAN TELL U THIS I THINK MOBIL 1 IS NOT THAT GREAT I JUST PUT SOME IN MY 1990 FORD VAN WITH 115000 MILES I MIXED 5 QUARTS 1550 WITH 1 QUART 1030 AND THE ENGINE SEEMS TO HAVE A LITTLE BIT OF A LOWER END NOISE IT DID NOT HAVE BEFORE THE TRUCK DOES NOT RUN ANY DIFFRENT AT ALL TO ME IT,S JUST A WASTE OF MONEY

Turn your caps lock off please.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by jc1990:

Could it be that the mobil 1 released a lot of sludge and your oil pump pickup is now clogged? You did do a flush before changing?

quote:

Originally posted by SoftPoint:
This is the first and last time I use M1. I never had this problem with Havoline.
Cheers!
SoftPoint

Good for you, I wouldn't use it either, find some pennzoil 60 weight racing oil, that stuff will hang on your dipstick dipstick.

FYI: HTHS Vis of Mobil 1 is 3.08. So technically this oil will have far superior protection than any crappy ole havoline, but hey it's your car!

I based my remarks on what I have seen. I once tried out TropArtic 5w30 Oil, and I checked my oil at te top of Eisenhower Pass after a long climb up at highway speeds and it did the same thing. When I did the same with Havoline 5w30 it stayed on the dip stick and remained in a good consistency. I think it used a thicker base stock.
Cheers!
SoftPoint

in my 4.6 and 5.4 i mix 3.5 qts delvac 1 5w 40 and 2 qts redline 5w 40 with 8.5 oz of schaeffer's moly # 132 and fleetguard oil and air filters...they perform outstanding!!

Cavalier engines naturally run very hot. Its the nature of the beast. Ny son's runs at 220+ plus in summertime. The car has had 10W-30 Mobil in most of its natural life and at 85K is doing fine. It now has the Schaeffers 5W-30 Moly Pure Syn in.

As others have said - oil running off of the dipstick is not a very valid test. Yes Mobil 1 is slightly thinner than some other oils-but it keeps that grade even in extended oil changes.

150K miles and it will still be rollin' of the 'ol dipstick
lol.gif
Unfortunately we don't seem to have any UOA's of regular Havoline which gives a viscosity at 100C.

quote:

I stopped to check the oil today, after driving in traffic in some very hot weather. Th M1 5w30 just completely rolled off the dipstick leaving hardly any residue. It appears that it just is too thin and thins out like water under severe conditions.

Welcome to the world of synthetics my friend!
grin.gif
The reason the M1 rolled off your dipstick was not because the oil was too thin, but because it was too slick!
gr_stretch.gif
That's a very good thing, because it means greatly reduced friction (and increased efficiency) for your engine.

The Mobil 1 will not harm your engine one iota. If you ever decide to give it another try, the 10W30 might give you more peace of mind for the summertime, especially with the 100+ degree temps
we've been having here in Colorado.

P.S. If you think the Mobil is slick, try using Redline sometime! It looks like we have a little oil leak in our garage, but it's just from the accumulation of tiny drips of oil sliding off the dipstick whenever I check it!

Softpoint, I think two things were involved in what you saw recently in the new Cavalier with synth. 1./ What Rexman said about synth. being slick and 2./ the fact that you were previously driving the Cav during the cooler fall and winter months.

if your dipstick was coated with some "finish" that was very smooth the surafce tension could be affected and it would "run" off. Use some fine emery cloth and "rough" up the tip a bit that way the oil will cling. It won't corrode since it is dipped in oil all the time so don't worry.

I have a 2002 Cavalier 2.2 4 cyl.and use 10W-30 Amsoil with complete confidence. The temp gauge stays at 195 degrees. I started using synthetic over five years ago because I don't like changing oil and Amsoil advertised extended drain intervals. Although I personally don't run the oil for a full year, I change it at six months with about 7,000 miles on each oil change. With dino oil, I would have to change twice as often. Although I'm not an oil expert, I can tell you that in the time I have been using synthetic, I have never had a problem with leaking seals or consumption and I never worry if I go a little extra time on an oil change.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back