my stupidity and bad luck with ramps

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just a rant on how stupid I am and the bad luck that I have with Rhino Ramps. Today I attempted to change my oil. So I got my ramps and tried to get the car up. But I overshot the ramps and landed on them therefore destroying them. I had to jack my car up to take one of them out. Went to Walmart and told them I lost my receipt and the ramps cracked and would like a refund. The lady called someone and asked about it and then told be that they will not take them back. So right now I'm bummed that I'm out thirty bucks since I got the 12000 ones. Since there have been so much people that have had success with Rhino Ramps I've concluded that its my own stupidity that got them destroyed. Oh yeah this is the second set that I have crushed. So I've basically decided to go get a pair of jackstands and try them out. But I have no clue how to choose them so somebody help me by telling me a good brand at a good price. Also does anybody know if the 01-05 Civics have a jacking poin in the front of the car? Thanks.

Don't be hard on yourself, accidents happen. You ought to see the stupid stuff that I see happen around our shop when doing maintenance on our equipment. I'm just waiting for someone to get smashed flat by a piece equipment. No safety measures taken by the supervisor or co workers. I stand clear for my own safety unless my help is really needed.

crap - you killed some rhino ramps with a Civic? I think it's worth contacting the company and letting them know exactly how it happened.....not throwing blame around - just so they can learn and you can feel better about yourself.

quote:

Originally posted by Hootbro:

quote:

I've concluded that its my own stupidity that got them destroyed.

So it did not bother you by trying to get your money back from WAL-MART?

Man! I knew someone was going to say that. I really didn't feel that bad since I bought the ramps there. And if they gave my money back I'm going to have to get either another pair of ramps or jackstands. I'm sure there are people that do worse. Unless I was actually stealing from them then why would I feel that bad? They're a giant corporation utilizing slave wages to make some of their products and driving prices down from manufactures until they are forced out of business like Rubbermaid (I'm talking about the original Rubbermaid, not Newell-Rubbermaid). Do they feel bad? I don't think so. Plus I'm not some divinity so I'm not sinless. I'm only human.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
crap - you killed some rhino ramps with a Civic? I think it's worth contacting the company and letting them know exactly how it happened.....not throwing blame around - just so they can learn and you can feel better about yourself.

Good idea I think I need to tell them to make the area for the wheels to sit a little longer so they don't roll off. Also any suggestions for a good pair of jackstands? And has anyone ever have a bad experience with jackstands?

When it comes to sticking your head under 3000 pound automobile (or whatever it weighs), I say go for overkill. Don't get 2000 pound jackstands, get 4000 pound jackstands. Check out the construction. How thick is the metal? How do they stay jacked (pin, notched shaft)? If you look around you will see the differences and get a feel for what seems more secure.

I tried to go up ramps once and it is not easy. I can see how you could overshoot them. Hopefully the bodywork was not damaged too badly.

As for me, I am happy to have three trucks that I can crawl or squeeze under without jacking.

"I tried to go up ramps once and it is not easy. I can see how you could overshoot them."
-------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, it can happen. That's why I thought the idea of using a set of wheel chocks a few measured feet in front of the rear tires to stop the car when driving up the ramps was a good one.

Having a belt and suspenders.

How about slow down, and go up them slowly. Get out and look before you drive over them. Its better to be not all the way up than too far, as you've found out. Ive seen someone go over ramps before. But they went up them fast as heck and couldn't stop quick enough.

Tallpaul, you mentioned the two designs that hold the jack stands in position, pin and ratchet. From seeing how the ratchets are held up I'm guessing the pin design is the more secure and safer of the two? Is this correct? Man if even jackstands won't work for me then I'm going to have to bring it to a quikie lube, shop, or even worse the dealership. I hope I don't have to do that
spaz.gif

quote:

Originally posted by asiancivicmaniac:
Tallpaul, you mentioned the two designs that hold the jack stands in position, pin and ratchet. From seeing how the ratchets are held up I'm guessing the pin design is the more secure and safer of the two? Is this correct? Man if even jackstands won't work for me then I'm going to have to bring it to a quikie lube, shop, or even worse the dealership. I hope I don't have to do that
spaz.gif

I like the pin because there is no way it can slip. The ratchet makes me nervous, though presumably they are very secure. But I wonder if the pin is only in the cheapies and the ratchet in the better models. Actually, probably not a "ratchet" since all it does is lock the shaft in place and is not used to raise or lower, I think. But I must confess I don't know much about jackstands. Mine are pin but the 2000 pound and the one time I used them I put both in place. I would like to get 4000 pounders, but as infrequently as I use them, I wait for a garage sale deal and so far the only HD jackstands I saw at a garage sale were the "ratchet" type.

Before you go to quickie lube, you can always try the redneck method of straddling a ditch.
grin.gif

Nice idea Groucho on the belt and suspenders. In fact I keep my motorhome front raised about 3.5 inches (two planks staggered into a low sort of ramp) when stored so the rain doesn't pool on the roof. The other day I wanted it down without firing the engine so I put a chock a couple feet behind the plank ramp and then sat into the bumper and pushed/rocked with my legs. The thing would likely have gone runaway if it weren't for the chock.

Another factor in running up the ramps is whether he has an automatic (easier) or a stick (a tad more difficult).

wow...all I can say is wow...

I am really impressed with the maturity level of this board. I was really ready for a big argument. I was ready to jump in myself. After I saw a lack of respone from this statement, I decided I would try my best to keep with the maturity and professionalism of everybody else...it is taking every single ounce of will power to not say something about this statement.

quote:

Man! I knew someone was going to say that. I really didn't feel that bad since I bought the ramps there. And if they gave my money back I'm going to have to get either another pair of ramps or jackstands. I'm sure there are people that do worse. Unless I was actually stealing from them then why would I feel that bad? They're a giant corporation utilizing slave wages to make some of their products and driving prices down from manufactures until they are forced out of business like Rubbermaid (I'm talking about the original Rubbermaid, not Newell-Rubbermaid). Do they feel bad? I don't think so. Plus I'm not some divinity so I'm not sinless. I'm only human.

Anyways...I can't believe you crushed ramps with a civic. I have seen people overshoot the ramps in Beretta's and larger cars and never seen a set crushed. Usually some bent up and broken plastic or ground FX (on the car), but not busted ramps.

Go for a jack and jack stand. Research the proper way to use them. Don't get under your car without multiple points of support. THINK! I have used inexpensive jack stands all my life without problems. If you use them correctly, you should be fine. You don't have to go blow $75 on the best stands. Just get ones you feel comfident will work. If unsure talk to a local who has used them or a friend or other. ****, I bet you could order a good set on line for pretty cheap.

Look at the quality of the welds on those jack stands.

If wrenching on the vehicle, consider thine strength. With the torque multiplication a large wrench provides I can envision toppling a vehicle, having it slide off the top of the stand.

Look at the contact point of the stand. Are there little upturns that allow you to position the stand on the frame to assist in preventing the vehicle from sliding off?

Surely thou art smart enough to know that jacking and securing with stands on too-loose dirts can cause the stands to sink, perhaps suddenly with ye underneath.

Think of Murphy's Law and plan ahead.

Currently I use ramps and stands for double protection. When I used stands alone I had a couple 4x4 chunks of hardwood cut to a handy length that I placed under the frame, snuggling them in by hitting with my hand, to provide a little more protection of a weld happend to break on one of the stands.

Practice safe slithering under thine vehicle!!! Think ahead, look at the area you are working in. Consider a worst case scenario(s). Plan for those eventualities and, you, too, can spend many enjoyable hours under thine conveyance marveling at the mechanical wonders many mere mortals never experience because they will not make the trek below their machine.

quote:

Another factor in running up the ramps is whether he has an automatic (easier) or a stick (a tad more difficult).

Absolutely! There's also the factor of the departure angle. I've used these about 25 years ago with an automatic (68 Belvedere). Even with an auto, the throttle applied is enough, once you "break over" the incline, to have you tap dancing not to over shoot the flat part on the ramp.

The "rack and pawl" type jack stands are just fine. As others have said, look them over for the little features. They're pretty simple devices.

I never get under a vehicle with just one means of support...after one day feeling a wee bit ashtmatic, and finding that while I concentrated on a gearbox fill plug the plates that I had the stands sitting on was sinking slowly into the earth.

I'd LOVE to have a pit.

Given topography, the set-up that my Dad and his brothers had was pretty good. There were railway sleepers running off a natural steep hill, with triangulated steel columns concreted into the slope.

The "navigator" was always in the view of the driver, and thus far away from the action.

quote:

Originally posted by asiancivicmaniac:

quote:

Originally posted by Hootbro:

quote:

I've concluded that its my own stupidity that got them destroyed.

So it did not bother you by trying to get your money back from WAL-MART?

Man! I knew someone was going to say that. I really didn't feel that bad since I bought the ramps there. And if they gave my money back I'm going to have to get either another pair of ramps or jackstands. I'm sure there are people that do worse. Unless I was actually stealing from them then why would I feel that bad? They're a giant corporation utilizing slave wages to make some of their products and driving prices down from manufactures until they are forced out of business like Rubbermaid .....

Poor justicification, I don't understand why people don't take personal responsibility for their actions. American way?

Look ..the things should have withstood the insult. They didn't. He attempted to see if the store would remdy it. They didn't. He didn't whine and carry on until they gave in. He walked away.

We don't really need the lessons on morality or propriety here.

Tell me that everyone on this thread has NEVER attempted to skate on ANYTHING in their lives. I won't believe you. So let he who hath not ...cast the first stone.

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
Look ..the things should have withstood the insult. They didn't. He attempted to see if the store would remdy it. They didn't. He didn't whine and carry on until they gave in. He walked away.

We don't really need the lessons on morality or propriety here.

Tell me that everyone on this thread has NEVER attempted to skate on ANYTHING in their lives. I won't believe you. So let he who hath not ...cast the first stone.

Thank you. I didn't come on here for you people to judge me and on top of that I don't care what you think of my moral beliefs. And let me state this for the record, I went to Walmart to try to get a refund. They said no then I left. I didn't debate their decision. If you were a 17 year old teenager with college to think about in a year and a car payment on your hand then I'm sure you wouldn't have an extra $30 laying around to blow on a pair of ramps.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, but man your story made me laugh, I just pictured it in my head. I only use the 7000lb ones I think, and I put my Tribute and Civic up on them all the time.

Overshooting them.....lol too funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back