my stupidity and bad luck with ramps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding jack stands, it seems to me that when you go up in load rating, you also go up in size. So 4000 lb stands might not fit under a Civic, even at their lowest setting. For the Civic and other lower ground clearance cars, I suggest getting the smallest jack stands, as they will be more flexible in their placement under the car and tend to keep the car as low as possible, an important factor in stability.
I like both the pawls kind and the shear pin type. The pawls kind are faster and more flexible (smaller height increments) to set up, while the pin type seem simpler and thus more fool proof. But the important part about jack stands is the shape and size of the 'pad' or 'saddle.' It needs to be suitable for the mating positions on the car.

As for the central jacking point on the civic, the front jacking point is right under the radiator support; you'll see a bit of a arrow/nub slightly off center in the radiator support. Use that to jack up the front and then place the jack stands under the two spots on the side of the car where you'd normally put a jack.

The rear of the car; use the tow hook as the central rear jacking point.

Back to walmart, DONT SHOP there. I refuse to, because as it was accurately pointed out earlier that they are using slave labor to put americans (the world) out of work. Places like walmart are going to make two classes in america. Extremely rich and extremely poor. Give it five to ten more years.

If you buy a 4x4 truck you wont need stands or ramps,and you can put your civic in the bed in case you get a flat.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by hone eagle:
If you buy a 4x4 truck you wont need stands or ramps,and you can put your civic in the bed in case you get a flat.
smile.gif

Then I would be labeled a redneck like most of the other people that live in this county with a 4x4 and a confederate flag on their shirts in tight jeans with a cowboy hat and boots. I'd rather be a ricer with a vtec sticker on my car even though it doesn't have vtec. On top of that I can't get my 300miles/10gals of gas.
wink.gif

Nice delete of my last post. Guess pointing out the obvious truth of what has been said conflicts with certain opinions.

Hootbro

When it does nothing but degrade the topic to a level that I already adivised wasn't wanted ..YES. Please keep your opinions of others to yourself or use the PM utility. You can reread my last sentence or two, just in case you missed it.

Thanks, Gary

[ August 08, 2005, 03:59 AM: Message edited by: Gary Allan ]

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
Look ..the things should have withstood the insult. They didn't. He attempted to see if the store would remdy it. They didn't. He didn't whine and carry on until they gave in. He walked away.

Amen!

Hey, how much clearance is needed beyond normal road clearance? If you only need a few inches to squeeze under it, get four planks and run the car up on them, two on either side (nail them together for more stability). You can stagger the drive on end about 6 inches for better driveupability. Then the whole car is level and raised three inches. If you drive off them, no big deal, just reposition.

Also, I see NorthernTool.com sells some jackstands that have both the ratchet and a pin. The pin catches another of the ratchet notches. Called "Double-Lock." They come in 2 Ton, 3 Ton, and 6 Ton. They look very well made, in which case the 2 Ton ($14.99 a pair in 2005 catalog) should suffice. Range: 10.3 to 16.3 inches.

I would call the company and explain things to them.

When I purchased my Rhino Ramps (direct mail order back then), the company called me and asked me how I liked them, how the shipping boxes survived, etc.

Obviously, this was before they were so popular, but I bet they would take care of things.

Your in luck,
Rhino Ramps have a lifetime warranty and the card on the ramps when i bought them..Call them and tell them the situation. They may send you a refund themselves or another set.

Good Luck.

"Hey, how much clearance is needed beyond normal road clearance? If you only need a few inches to squeeze under it, get four planks and run the car up on them, two on either side (nail them together for more stability). You can stagger the drive on end about 6 inches for better driveupability. Then the whole car is level and raised three inches. If you drive off them, no big deal, just reposition."

My car is pretty low especially the front bumper. And I'm a big person. Probably wouldn't be able to squeeze under there.

"Rhino Ramps have a lifetime warranty and the card on the ramps when i bought them..Call them and tell them the situation. They may send you a refund themselves or another set."

I sent them an e-mail since I'm not very good on the phone, but I stated that I wasn't asking for a refund or anything I just let them know that I think they should extend the flat area for the wheel on their ramps. But if they offer me another set I would gladly take it.

Even if they don't offer me a replacement I'm thinking of buying another set instead of jackstands and jack the car up and put the ramps under the wheels. The more I think of it the more nervous I feel about being under a car held up by dinky looking jackstands. Anybody tried this before?

Well, Blitz replied to my e-mail and offered me a refund even though I didn't ask for one. What a great company. Here's their reply:

"Good morning Sam,
I do apologize for the inconvience you have encountered using our products.
I will refund your money sir.
I will need your name address and phone number so we can get these back for testing.
Thank you Sam.
Consumer Services"

Buy new ramps. Return old ramps with new reciept.

Loss = $0

FYI use a little inertia to roll up on ramps...don't start climbing ramp from the bottom...start about 2 feet back, after proper alignment. Don't go too fast or you'll have to jam on the brakes an risk skidding one or tipping them.

Buy metal ramps. My brother had the same accident you had (overshot the ramps) and nothing happened to the ramps. His Sable got stuck, and we just used a 2 Ton jack to remove the car.

The way you keep from overshooting the ramps is measure the distance from the front axle to the tip of the front bumper, then put the ramps about that far from a brick wall. Works every time.
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:
The way you keep from overshooting the ramps is measure the distance from the front axle to the tip of the front bumper, then put the ramps about that far from a brick wall. Works every time.
lol.gif

Hmm... I don't have a wall in front of my parking area but there are other people's cars. This lady has a really nice brand new F150 King Ranch. Maybe I'll try that with her truck. I'm sure it can stop a little Civic with no biggie. LOL.

I don't get this! When it says 4 persons in front of an elevator it was actually tested for the weight of 24 to 40 persons. Why? more deadly? how much more?

When you shop auto equipment be it tow rope or jack stands, when it says 3000 lbs, it is 3000 lbs (it even does not state the safey margin, if there is any). They leaves the engineering/safety tolerance decision to the -at times- clueless customer.

Someone may get hurt or even killed during the process, if all is true. I don't see 2000 lbs stand can't withstand such a likely misuse/fault.

Block the rear wheels. At front AND rear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back