My son didn't listen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Third deployment is around the corner, and my son had one of the guys on base change the oil out in his 2000 BMW 323i. I told him get a Euro oil either 0W40 or 5W40, and change it out along with the filter and a list of other things to do in preparation. His buddy ended up using Mobil 1 0W30 instead.

I don't think its going to matter much since more than likely the car is going to be sitting until 2010. I'll tell him to put the right oil in when he comes back.

Thanks. This might actually be the second time he's used the wrong oil. Last time Mobil 1 10W30, ran it about 4000 miles before his last deployment.
21.gif

Even if the car wasn't going to be sitting, I reckon the oil should be alright. provided it's not there for an extended drain. Does the 0W-30 not meet BMW LL specifications?

The only Mobil 1 oil that meets BMW LL-01 is the 0w-40.

The Mobil 1 10w-30 High mileage comes close as it is ACEA A3/B3 and a HTHS of 3.66.

The old M1 0W-30 was a "European Formula" and did meet the BMw specs (I saw some at Walmart about a year ago), but they have since introduced a new 0W-30 formula in the US that is part of the their Advanced Fuel Economy line (along with 0W-20) that is not appropriate for the BMW.

Yeah...we shouldn't really be worrying about the oil in this car, more about the young man going off to war!

But on the topic of the oil, I would change that oil out to the appropriate 0W-40/5W-40 it needs...BMW's can be fussy about the thickness of the oil in them....

Originally Posted By: sprintman
M1 0W30 should not be in that engine

What happens in a year when BMW back specs that engine to 20 weight oil ?(only for North America though)
21.gif

Sounds like a harmless enough situation there. Not ideal, but not enough to lose sleep over. Thank your son for the services he's providing to all of us sitting in our cozy little homes.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Sounds like a harmless enough situation there. Not ideal, but not enough to lose sleep over. Thank your son for the services he's providing to all of us sitting in our cozy little homes.

While we bash the oil he's using......lol.

Thanks for the kind wishes. I guess at this point, he might as well leave the fresh clean oil in the car, and swap it out upon his return.

Again, thanks!

Frank D

Thanks to your son for the services.

If most of his trips are less than 10-15 miles, I would use M1 0W30 for at least 4-5k miles before change it. I have M1 0W20 in MB E430 and I like it better than 0W40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back