My small stash, and how I plan to use it up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Certainly some interesting reading in one of the hot topics in this sub-forum. It got me to thinking about how I want to use up my oil for the upcoming changes. I already have made up my mind which side of the debate I am on. I don't want this to turn into another extension of that same debate - my mind is made up of what my target viscosity is, and what my ideal oil will be. This is just a question on how best to use up my stash to get me there. Target viscosity is xW-30, OCI is slightly extended to 7,500 miles, filter is Napa Gold 1516. I got two 5-quart jugs of 5W-20 SynPower when it was on sale for a steal a while back: 5W-30 was sold out, and some dicussions here at the time got me to thinking I could try thinner anyway. My mind has since changed back, but I am not worried my engine will self destruct with this fill. I do acknowledge the validity of both sides of the argument, and I have made my decision on something that I feel comfortable with.

The engine is a Toyota 3MZ-FE, in a 2006 Sienna. Vehicle sees very cold winters (can reach -40, but average -20C ambient temperature). Winter operating conditions include long city trips, with some freeway, short trips without full warm up, and extended idling. The fill in there now is SynPower 5W-20, and it has 1,500 miles on it. It will stay for the winter until the next change.

Summer sees longer trips typically, and more highway speeds. Travels can take us to places where ambient temperatures are 30C+, and summer use includes trailer towing, close to the vehicle's rated 3,500lb limit.

So stash is made up of the following, including some heavier viscosities I had left over from a diesel I no longer have:

4.7L 5W-20 SynPower
4L (approx) 5W-30 QSUD
0.5L (approx) 0W-30 GC
1L 5W-40 Syntec
5L 5W-40 T6

From that, I plan on blending the following, but am open to suggestions on alternate blends, to get 3 changes of 4.7L, assuming that I have no oil consumption requiring me to dip into the stash:

1) 2.35L 5W-20 SynPower + 2.35L 5W-40 T6
2) 2.35L 5W-20 SynPower + 2.35L 5W-40 T6
3) 4L 5W-30 QSUD + .5L 0W-30GC + .2L 5W-40 T6

Leftovers will be 0.1L T6 and 1L 5W-40 Syntec. These can eventually find use in my lawnmower once I finish my very old dino stash, so I'm not concerned that I have leftovers.

Would anyone blend it differently, with the goal of using up all of the SynPower in those 3 changes?

If anyone is interested, I am likely going to stock PC Duron or Mobile Delvac Elite 222 in 0W-30 after these three changes.

I like how we all experiment with oil viscosities! I've been working my way lighter on the Jeep after going heavier ... went from xW-30 to xW-40, to mixing xW-40 with 5w-30 and 5w-20 ... now I'm running a mix of 5w-30 and 5w-20 in it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back