My sister is looking at a 2005 Lexus ES330....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

I don't have much knowledge about the vehicle in question outside of it being sold out of a Lexus dealer and it has less than 15,000 miles on the clock.

Just was wondering if anybody here owns one or knows any specific trouble spots to check out. I know some Toyota engines are prone to sludge but I'm not sure if the 3.3L 6-cyl falls into that group.

Thanks!

Ed B.

The 3.3L is the 3MZ-FE engine. The sludge prone engine was the 3.0L 1MZ-FE. Although the sludge issues were somewhat overrated to start off with.

With that sort of mileage, and a decent price, I say go for it. The only issue with this vehicle is pre-'06 ES models were known to have "lazy" transmissions. The programming was a bit off in order to qualify the vehicle as an ULEV. This was later fixed, and you may want to check the service history to see if this particular vehicle has had that covered. Otherwise it is an excellent vehicle.
thumbsup2.gif

Just because it shares the same platform as the Camry doesn't make it equal to a Camry.
wink.gif
In comparison, both vehicles drive quite differently.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
Great car! sounds like low miles. the "sludge" monsters were 1996-2001, I believe.

Yes, 2001. There is a 2001 Lexus RX300 in the garage with 32,000 miles. It is nice and has been perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back