My second DIY oil change...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, LouDawg just completed his second DIY oil change, this one on the wife's Dodge Caravan 3.3L...it was a piece of cake thanks to Chrysler's thoughtful placement of the oil filter and drain pan/plug. Hats off, guys!
patriot.gif

Even using newspapers, I made a bit of a mess in our exposed aggregate concrete driveway, so needless to say my wife was not happy! Anybody know what works best to get these spots out? Also, would a large, canvas tarp be a good thing to put down under the vehicle before the oil change? I want something substantial and reusable.

(Note to Bryanccfshr and Drew99GT: I apologize in advance if these questions have already been answered on some previous post somewhere in time on BITOG...JUST KIDDING, GUYS...HAVING SOME FUN!!!
wink.gif
)

cheers.gif

I keep a bucket of cat litter on stand by and have reused the same batch for about the last 3 years. Works like magic if you get it on the spill right away. Doesn't it feel great to know the job was done right!
cheers.gif
My family always tells me "it's just an oil change". I've tried to point out the crankcase overfilled by quarts after it's done any where else but they just don't listen
pat.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
I keep a bucket of cat litter on stand by and have reused the same batch for about the last 3 years. Works like magic if you get it on the spill right away. Doesn't it feel great to know the job was done right!
cheers.gif
My family always tells me "it's just an oil change". I've tried to point out the crankcase overfilled by quarts after it's done any where else but they just don't listen
pat.gif

It feels amazing! My wife thinks it's way too much of a hassle, and I've tried to explain to her what I've learned on here and why it's not...she's more concerned with the potential mess than the benefits...she just sat out there in her lawn chair watching and shaking her head. But then I don't really care what she thinks anyway.
rolleyes.gif

Saves money, lets me see what's really going on with the engine, ensures it's done right (I hope), and gives me a chance to bond with my 11-yr-old son and teach him some stuff about auto maintenance.

It's great!!! (Especially when the oil filter is as EASY to get to as it was on the Caravan!)

cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by LouDawg:

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
cheers.gif
pat.gif

It feels amazing! My wife thinks it's way too much of a hassle, and I've tried to explain to her what I've learned on here and why it's not...she's more concerned with the potential mess than the benefits...she just sat out there in her lawn chair watching and shaking her head. But then I don't really care what she thinks anyway.
rolleyes.gif

Saves money, lets me see what's really going on with the engine, ensures it's done right (I hope), and gives me a chance to bond with my 11-yr-old son and teach him some stuff about auto maintenance.

It's great!!! (Especially when the oil filter is as EASY to get to as it was on the Caravan!)

cheers.gif

Keep the faith, LouDawg. Don't worry about other people 'not getting it', especially the wife. If you can get her to turn the car off when she sees the oil pressure light / high temp alarm etc you are ahead of the game.

I use several things to help prevent oil stains on the concrete-

I keep a Fast-food drink cup in the oil dry bag and scoop out some and just take the cup with me under the cars.

I also lay down a scrap piece of 1/4" or 3/8" plywood or cardboard.

Finally, you will learn what to do to prevent the spills.

LouDawg, welcome to the club! Once you do it a number of times, you'll get good at it to the point that you won't spill a drop.

What you described about your wife shows the difference between marriage and living in sin. My girlfriend handles her own finances, including car maintenance. She appreciates the work I do to her car. It saves her money and grief.

The best way to avoid a mess is practice. I can change my oil without spilling or dripping so much as a drop. I'm sure the first couple of times i did it (I cant remember that far back though) were not so neat and clean:)

Remove the filter first, and use the oil drain pan under it to catch all the oil that comes out of the filter upon removal. Install the new filter, clean up the area, then go onto draining the oil.

I've found no better substitute than an old fashioned oil drain pan. These new fancy oil recycle containers/drain pans only make for a mess. I use a regular plastic drain pan, then dump the oil into a gallon jug via funnel.

After i finish i even wipe down the oil drain pan, windex it, and keep it in my trunk.

As for your oil spill clean up, your local auto parts store will have something to put on it to soak it up. Kitty litter may also work.

Now the real trick is to change your own oil while living in an apt complex. Minimizing hood-up time as to not draw attention from the maintenence man. I've found dusk to be the best time
wink.gif

Thanks for the feedback, guys...I hadn't heard about doing the filter first, but it makes sense. And I think my brother mentioned Dawn detergent...sounds like maybe a cheap fix. I sprayed som Oxy-cleaner on it last night, used a push broom (scrub brush) and washed it off with the hose, and it seemed to actually make a difference.

Any thoughts on the canvas?

(Note to Kestas: SINNER!
lol.gif
)

quote:

Originally posted by LouDawg:

Any thoughts on the canvas?
(

I was at a Pep Boys store a few days ago, and I saw some type of felt-looking mat rolled up like a carpet. It was supposed to be some type of driveway/garage floor protector.

It wasn't on my list of things to have, and so I didn't pay much attention to it, but I noticed it at the end of one of the aisles. It looked like it was about 5 feet tall. I don't know how wide it would be when rolled out, but it seemed to be plenty big enough.

Don't waste good canvas. Besides, the oil might leak through it and you'll have to either clean the canvas or store it with oil on it (yuck). Get some cheap opague polyethelene sheeting. It comes in various widths and lengths at hardware stores, Home Depot, Walmart, etc. Cut off and lay down whatever size piece you want. Put newspapers above that to soak up the oil. Roll the sheeting and newspapers up and throw them in the trash when you're done with the oil change. You'll only use a few pennies worth of sheeting per oil change.

I agree about not using a canvas tarp. The poly sheeting mentioned above will do, or you might catch the cheap blue plastic(I've seen gray ones too) tarps on sale at your local stores- camping, surplus, tool, & farm stores all seem to have these. I've even seen them at WalMart.

Cheap, durable enough, cleanable, & when they get messy or torn enough be a big spender & treat yourself to a new one. I've gotten the 5'x7'/6'x8' sizes on sale at Harbor Freight and the "traveling tool sales" for less than $3 each- once even found some for $.99 each. Lots of other uses for them too. When you find some cheap enough my advice is to always buy at least 2 or 3 more than you think you need!
grin.gif

Next time your at Sam's club/Costco, go to the Paper Towels area and grab the 3 ft cardboard that they use to stack paper towels on the pallet.

They are the right size to put under the car for changing the oil, they protect the cement and most of all...

They are free!
cheers.gif

I pick up about 10 of them every trip (once a month) and have a good stock for changing oil.
grin.gif

They have never asked about them in my cart.

Here what I'm talking about;

-

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back