My road trip car? Yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I like to do the road trip thing. I ended up buying the van when my Cavaliers brake lines went (along with it being in really bad shape to begin with). I got the van from a rock and roll band with about 90K km on the clock and I think it's up to 130K km. The reason I went with a cargo van was that I was moving twice a year while attending University. Now that I have graduated I bought a more fuel efficient and respecable looking set of wheels. I really doubt I'll put more than 500 km a year on that old heap due to fuel mileage and the fact that it's obsurdely dangerous to drive in the winter. She'll just be my backup car and garbage hauler for the next 10 years or whenever the body falls off the frame. My dads full dress 3/4 ton V8 Dodge Roadtreck camper gets over 20MPG. Ford sucks.

Cheers, Steve

quote:

Originally posted by srivett:
Yeah, I like to do the road trip thing. I ended up buying the van when my Cavaliers brake lines went (along with it being in really bad shape to begin with). I got the van from a rock and roll band with about 90K km on the clock and I think it's up to 130K km. The reason I went with a cargo van was that I was moving twice a year while attending University. Now that I have graduated I bought a more fuel efficient and respecable looking set of wheels. I really doubt I'll put more than 500 km a year on that old heap due to fuel mileage and the fact that it's obsurdely dangerous to drive in the winter. She'll just be my backup car and garbage hauler for the next 10 years or whenever the body falls off the frame. My dads full dress 3/4 ton V8 Dodge Roadtreck camper gets over 20MPG. Ford sucks.

Cheers, Steve

I wouldnt say that "Ford sucks" when in reality you are running a six cylinder motor in a full siz e van that is loaded to the gills. If I did that I would expect horrible mileage. My 97 F150 is my daily driver/road trip car. It has the 4.6 liter with a 5 speed, pretty basic truck, but comfortable and reliable. Never left me anywhere and it now has 180000 miles on it. I have taken it from La. to Jackson, Ms. probably 10 times, La. to Nashville Tn. once, La. to Dallas Tx. 4 times, La. to San Antonio Tx. 3 times and once to Destin Fl. On all these trips, and since I owned it it has averaged 16 miles to the gallon. In the next week or two, I will be taking it to Guntersville, Al. and on to Carrollton Ga. and back home.

Have used my 96 Caprice for a few trips to the east coast(from N.E. Wisconsin) countless trips in the 200-300 mile one way range. It is becomming more of a dragstrip toy now though. Replacing it as the daily driver and roadtrip car is my 95 Roadmaster wagon. Space of a minivan or midsized SUV, LT1 POWER
burnout.gif
, good milage and Buick comforts. Middle of June I will be doing an east coast run with it and will top 184K total miles during the trip, I expect to get low to mid 20s during my trip and that is knowing I have a heavy foot and act like tolls are the dragstrip
freak2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back