My road trip car? Yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
 -

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
XS650, 1600RPM in 6th gear at 70? In a sportscar?
shocked.gif

A 0.49:1 overdrive ratio will do that
smile.gif
. It's strictly an economy cruise gear. The first 5 ratios make for a good performance transmission. 5th is just right for the 165 mph (actual) top speed. It's a ragtop, the coupes are faster. Not bad for a stock 9 year old Chevy.

dang, my Hyundai runs 3300 RPM @ 70 MPH i got 32 miles per gallon at best.

all those trips and you're not even at 100K? must be some awful tiny "states" up there....

No pics but the 93 Plymouth minivan did:

Houston-Destin, FL 2x
Houston-Portland OR 1x
Houston-KC Mo 1x
Houston-Dallas (500mi rt) 20x+
Houston-Abilene, (600mi rt) Tx 10x+
Houston-San Antonio (350mi rt) about 100x+

Looked great but in about 120k miles:
trans was rebuilt 2x
ABS rebuilt 3x and shot again when we dumped it
AC compr replaced 2x and evap coil was shot when we dumped it
PS rack replaced 1x
Alternator replaced 1x
FM portion of radio was blown*

all except * under ext warranty....
wink.gif

Those idiots placed the main chassis electrical interconnects right under the battery tray....do you realize what acid fumes do to wiring? Let's just say that the problematic connectors were replaced by soldered wires...

but for road trips with 2 kids, it couldn't be beat. WAY better than the Highlander for road trips.

Just an update, now we have two new road trip cars.

My 88 Buick Lesabre T-type w/211,000 miles
My Wife's 98 Buick Lesabre w/99,000 miles.
It gets 27 mpg during her urban commute.
tongue.gif

-T

nice tibs ;-)

CT to philly and back
this weekend: CT to georgetown, ontario and back
every week: all around southern new england

had 54k miles on it when i got it in feb 2002, now has 102k miles.

Picture

My 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 4.0L engine.

Looks like my old one:
www.cardomain.com/id/cmalacon

My 95 had 65K on it when I got it in June 2003 and it currently has 86,006. It's sitting right outside my res. hall, waiting to be loaded up again, to make a 300 mile journey home.

It's made the round trip 3 times so 1800 miles. After this trip home, 4 times. I have to drive back to Baton Rouge to catch the Tiger Band bus for the Capital One Bowl game. So 5 times after that. Wow 3000 miles. This is why I switched to Mobil 1.

I get 20-23 mpg depending on conditions. It needs an alignment so its closer to 20 right now.

The ole 94 Jeep. 140K when I wrecked it (i'll never use a sunvisor after this one).

Mexico once - 1750 miles(?)
New Orleans - 720 miles
Brownsville twice - I really don't know.
It was mainly a city car. Houston is big and we have family all over the place so the miles racked up easy.

quote:

Originally posted by Shadohh:
Hyundai power.

-

-

-

48k miles, but burns oil
frown.gif

Look at putting in the CVVT motor and MP45 s/c

Shadohh, DJnogo, go Hyundai! oh yeah and Csandste. Why you burning oil you been revving it way to hard?

-

It's a 2002 Dodge Dakota SXT, one of the first ones out. The SXT package was a way for D-C to clean out some of their parts bins, it's a basic Dakota with bucket seats, fancy wheels and tires, anti-sway bars, and a decent stereo. But beyond that it's a base-model truck, the Monroney label has 2 options listed, the SXT package, and the bedliner and that's it.

I call him Red, short for Just Red because there's not much on the truck other than the fire-engine red paint. Yeah, I know, should be a "she" but the thing is just too manly to be a she. The truck was in my possession for 3 days when I took the picture.

When I find a picture of the Malibu, I'll post it too. That used to be my cruiser until I bought the truck, then it became my work car (when I was working).

quote:

Originally posted by Korean_redneck:

quote:

Originally posted by Shadohh:
Hyundai power.

48k miles, but burns oil
frown.gif

Look at putting in the CVVT motor and MP45 s/c

Shadohh, DJnogo, go Hyundai! oh yeah and Csandste. Why you burning oil you been revving it way to hard?

No fun if you dont rev it hard
smile.gif

Motorcraft 5w30 seems to have helped.

1. 1997 Ford T-bird 4.6L
75 mph at 2000 rpm; gets about 28 mpg on highway.
now has 105k miles;
many Buies Creek,NC--Knoxville, TN trips
several Knoxville--Memphis trips.

2. 2003 Hyundai Elantra ("Ellie"); 4-banger, many Knoxville--Memphis trips; about 37-38 mpg highway; now has 28k miles.
runs like a top; very dependable...wifey loves it.

quote:

Originally posted by 97tbird:
1. 1997 Ford T-bird 4.6L
75 mph at 2000 rpm; gets about 28 mpg on highway.
now has 105k miles;
many Buies Creek,NC--Knoxville, TN trips
several Knoxville--Memphis trips.

2. 2003 Hyundai Elantra ("Ellie"); 4-banger, many Knoxville--Memphis trips; about 37-38 mpg highway; now has 28k miles.
runs like a top; very dependable...wifey loves it.

28mpg on a tbird?

38 on a hyundai 2.0?

Geez man, either you have super gas or you dont take it above 2000rpms and never above 60mph.

The first two are of my van and the second two are of a van my parents saw waiting for the ferry to Newfoundland.

I've driven Truck #501 (1987 6-cylinder E-150 cargo van) on a couple of occasions but it is such a pig on gas that I think Ford should be shut down for making it. The best trip was a 16,000 km 14-day trip from Ottawa, Ontario through the US, Mexico, Belize, and Guatemala. Average mileage was about 12MPG...pitiful. We ran it non-stop for 72 hours straight between Accapulco and Ottawa without problems. After that my parents drove it through Newfoundland for another 16,000 km and it's pretty much sat for the last 3 years. I think it got about 8 MPG with the two trailers and enough weight to warp brand new rotors on the first stop. It swayed a lot and I was stopping every 2 hours to fill up with gas.

The blue van is from the Northwest Territories. It has a wood stove and the owners camp in it when it's -50C. yeep
smile.gif

-

-

-

-

Here's my every day car. It's a 1992 Golf with a 1.6l diesel and I am very content with it. It has some annoying design features but I challenge the big 3 to get together and design an equal to the 20+ year old diesel Golf/Rabbit. They can't and they never will be able to. The engine is shot but I still get 40MPG. I'm at 386K km and I bet it will keep running past 450K. As soon as I get the money I'll have a rebuilt engine sitting in the basement waiting so that the body will go 900K.

-

Cheers, Steve

Here's my '96 Audi A4 quattro:

-

-

You may recognize this location from hundreds of car commercials. It's a road in Marin county.

In the first year I put 40k miles on that car!

I finally have a pic of my Grand Cherokee. I really dont have a name for it but lately I've been referring to it as Mean Green.

-

wow.. so far SRIVETT has the best road trip car/truck.. geez.. all that room.. seems like your going around the United states? what do you haul in that van? Either that,, or you like to travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back