My review of M1 AFE 0w20...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: timeau
OK, seems there is some misunderstanding here.
What the piston slap is? Roughly speaking, piston shakes in the cylinder. Why does it shake? Because engine is cold and there is a gap between piston and wall. Once heated, "feature" should gone. This is a feature, you can't and you should not try to "cure" it.
But I am 99% sure that sound that bothers you comes from valvetrain. Probably hydrolic lifters or something else, IMO.

The piston doesn't "shake" in the cylinder, but it does rock back and forth until clearances are tighter. Noise caused by the rather common Honda K-series piston slap does tend to be better masked by some oils compared with others. I don't believe that it's a viscosity thing; I think it's an additive thing.

This engine does not use hydraulic valve lifters.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: tig1
Oil can't fix engines that are designed in a way that makes them noisy. For example your Honda is that way, but my Ford Duratechs are very quite.

Im not trying to "fix" a problem. Im just trying to lessen the noise. Might to back to the TGMO 0w20 route. Tig, I know your a Mobil 1 fan, there is nothing wrong with that. Its a great oil and I like it, its just not giving me the noise cancelling I would like when the engine is in its warm up period.
Makes me wonder if the noise is irrelevant to engine longevity. Perhaps if it makes a little more noise with one oil, that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't protecting the engine as well as a quieter oil. It's a possibility the Mobil 1 could produce a better UOA than even TGMO, that it just makes it a little noisier. I think you should run it to your full 5k OCI and do a UOA and change with TGMO and do 5k, then you'd have two UOA's with identical mileage you can put side by side and really see what has better wear metals etc.

I am going to run it the full 5K. I know its protecting well and noise has nothing to do with wear. It would just be nice for it to be quieter on start up thats all. The colder temps haven't even set in yet so we will see how loud she gets. I used TGMO 0w20 last winter, and have a UOA on it. It was only a 3200 mile run, but with plenty of short trips and over the span of 5 months. And yes, it was quieter than this M1

My scion suffers from piston slap as well. I've found that Dino oils tend to quiet my noise down more than synthetic or synthetic blends. So far, pyb has been the quietest in mine. I'm going to try something with titanium in it next, either Mobil super 5000, or maybe the Castrol edge in the black bottle since they've started using it in there as well. If neither of those pan out, I might just stick with Valvoline maxlife as that was almost as quiet as the pyb, and I've been a fan of Valvoline since I was a kid and that's what my dad used in everything. Plus I haven't seen a bad UOA using their stuff yet.

Last edited:
How long ago did you use MaxLife? I ask because MaxLife was super quiet in our Honda's K24 before their formula change a year or so ago. The last time I used it, I was sort of disappointed in the increased engine noise. I discovered later, a month or two after the change, that I had bought one of the bottles after the formula change. So I guess you could call that a "blind" study...I thought I was using what I knew to be "quiet", and it wasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back