My results of Using M1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed my Oil yesterday and it's my first time using M1 10w30. My engine is ALOT smoother, and the engine is alot quieter. Problem is that my HLA's are now louder during cold idleing. Anybody know whats up?

I'm staring at this post wondering what to say. Making any kind of replies on these Mobil 1 threads is usually like trying to fight a fire at a paint thinner factory with just a spray bottle of water. Gee, I wonder what made me think of paint thinner all of a sudden.
tongue.gif

hydraulic lash adjusters....as opposed to solid lifters. It's a not-umcommon characteristic reported by many people that use Mobil 1. Including me. I do NOT think it neccesarily means protection is inadequate, sort of like the difference between red or green dye in the oil, but, it can make the driver perk their ears up and question what the noise is all about.

KR,

You're going to drive yourself crazy with that M1 in there. All the M1 noise seems to be attributed to their thinner grades for some strange scientific reason, that nobody probably will ever know as to why.
confused.gif

Just for fun:

-

But seriously, I have used Mobil 1 (10W-30) for years and have yet to experience any noise issues of any kind.
smile.gif

I've used Mobil 1 5w30. The biggest noise I heard was only on start up. My engine tends to be very loud on startup from what I've read online. In comparison to thicker oils (GC, Amsoil) my startup is much quieter. When my engine is warmed up - the heavier oils definitely seem smoother especially in higher rpms. Maybe because my car specs 5w40 in other countries?

Mobil is a good oil. Used it for 10,000 miles @ 3k intervals (pre-bitog). I attribute it to kept my engine sparkling clean. I will probably run a 5k OCI of Mobil 1 again just to see the UOA.

It's all good. please no disputes here. Just wondering. Next time I'll use Castrol Syntec. Then I'll use Amsoil Synthetic straight.. instead of mixing

I’ve been giving a few thoughts to this noise issue too. I have a 1987 Jetta 1.8 (hydraulic valves) and have been using 5w-30 synthetic blend since 1988.

There is a concrete 5ft high divider that divides the opposing lanes on a road near my house. I used to remember driving with my drivers window open, one could hear the sound of the engine reflecting off the concrete (it’s right next to the left lane). And I used to think my engine sure does sound kind of noisy. Almost like an engine that had 250k miles one it, was very worn, and was burning a liter of oil every 500km. Back then that 5w-30 probably was a Grp I/PAO blend, and later in the 1990’s it was likely switched over to a Grp II/PAO and then a Grp II/III blend ~ 2000.

I drove my car yesterday and the engine certainly sounds quieter than it used too. Never gave it much thought these days until I read some of these threads about oil and engine noise. Although, I’m nearing the end of my current OCI and maybe my current 5w-30 has thickened up somewhat. Or maybe I just have to wait for a hot day to test my current fill on.

Is this a thinner oil issue, or a PAO issue? One thing that comes to mind from reading a little on various lubricants is the low coefficient of traction of PAO’s, which from what I’ve read is the lowest of any lubricant. Maybe it’s so slippery the hydraulic valves are slapping out quicker or something.

So, there does seem to be something to this noise issue. I was never really concerned about the noise, but just thought it was a little odd.

My 0.02

I think XOM should hire GoldenRod so the chemists can fix M1. GoldenRod could surely teach them a thing or two.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by GoldenRod:
Making any kind of replies on these Mobil 1 threads is usually like trying to fight a fire at a paint thinner factory with just a spray bottle of water. Gee, I wonder what made me think of paint thinner all of a sudden.
tongue.gif

Hahahahaha..great post.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back