my rebuilt 62 Lincoln Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
How would you pros advise on oil, filters and maintenance on my 1962 Lincoln. Currently using VAlvoline oil 10/30 but break in was with all Amsoil products for the first 5000 miles. It uses no oil, and has 120,000 miles on unit. Since rebuild, it has travelled 24,000 miles. A friend has been suggesting I switch all my cars to Schaefer oil products which I am open to pursue. What would you do? I live in Az, and it is known to get warm here.
Thanks KD

Schaefer's or Amsoil would be fine.

Not sure why you broke in with Amsoil then switched to Valvoline. (Am I reading this right?)

Valvoline has not given good UOA's here.

UOA's are Used Oil Analysis. VOA's are Virgin (new oil )Oil Analysis. There are sections on this board on results. As Pablo said Valvoline has not given a whole lot of good results. Shaeffer's Blends are very good. Look up the Product #'s 700, 701, 703 Here

What weight does your vehicle call for and do you want to go to synthetic oil or conventional oil? Schaeffer's is a good choice because there "Blends" perform about as good as a Good synthetic.

Those early '60's Lincolns are some of the best looking Ford products ever made. You have suicide doors, right? My father had a '64. Not a trouble-free car, though. Do you have the wierd power steering system with the pump driven directly off the crankshaft and hydraulic windshield wipers operating off the same system?

The auto was rebuilt in 1979 using all Amsoil lubricants as the mechanic made that choice. We moved to Phx subsequently, and availability became an issue and I was advised to use Valvoline.
What is the view on Valvoline not having good UOA's? By the way, what is that? I am a medical researcher so am green oil symbols. thanks karl

Yes, Jimbo..the 62 does operate as you say to the best of my knowledge. I am not a mechanic,so I do not do my own service. Suicide doors are the trade mark of this era Lincoln, and the 62 was the sporter version as 63-64 were extended in length, and not as well handling.

Suggest you sample the oil presently in the car and consult with an analyst like Terry Dyson ([email protected]) to see where you are, and to look at where you might go.

Carbureted engines definitely respond differently to todays lousy gasoline than what they were designed for in the late 1950's thru the late 1960's.

An internal cleaning, some fuel additive usage, best filter and oil on the best schedule for your useage pattern is what you could expect advice upon with Terry or others.

Well worth it in my experience; I have been very pleased with the services of DYSON ANALYSIS and BLACKSTONE LABORATORIES.

Obtaining products is pretty simple via the Internet these days, expecially if an experienced analyst is standing by your shoulder in the selection process.

With an oem 1971 Chrysler 383 4-V sitting out on the driveway for the occasional run (and in daily service for most of its 33 years), I look forward to also having a sharp rebuild done, and to use the above suggestions to best tune and monitor the health of the vehicle.

Thanks for the tip TanSedan. I did e-mail Terry to get his opinions and advise. I have a 77 Chev P.U. 350 resting in the garage to throw into the ring...family owned with 122K miles. So we like keep our rigs running and try to treat em right..cheers..K
I guess it is all about finding what appears to be the " best winners" in this polluted world!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back