My pre trip inspection skills know no bounds 😳

PXL_20230420_193629471.jpg

I had my work truck (2013 Patriot) washed today, and got to observe Goodyear tires being the same lousy tires I remember

The innie if you will @ the 2 o'clock position I'm told is normal, where two pieces of rubber shoulder together?
The outie if you will @ the 7 o'clock position is a bubble

I'll take it into the fleet shop, maybe they'll put me a new tire :unsure:

The date code of 04/14 means this tire is ~9 years old, probably time it's replaced anyway

This is probably an age/usage road inflicted damage, but the other (newer) replacement Eagle LS² tires all around don't look much better

This 2013 Patriot with 78k is a miserable POS, I've got at least one bad wheel bearing, alignment is all over the place, brakes screeched after discs/pads all around, now they're grinding

One owner, fleet owned and maintained :)
Only one minor accident 👀

How is that the truck's fault? That could happen on any Toyota or Honda living on Staten Island too.
A fair point, but the few Equinox's, CNG Civics, and DCT Focus's we have managed to hold up better
This one bombs around Brooklyn and Queens, which is even worse
It was a POS new, and it hasn't aged well
To be fair, these are poverty spec models with black door handles, and these small & skinny tires with plain steelies
Whatcha say (crank) windows, manual locks, the most uncomfortable seats with only two manual adjustments
Some of the worst HVAC performance I've ever felt in a car

We have a few of these '13/'14/'15 Patriot's, all with 2.4/CVT and the low end AWD system

They sucked brand new, and they've aged awfully
This may not be the best example, but Goodyear Eagle LS/LS² tires are well renowned for sucking

Those eagle LS2 were turds anyway.
My Villager came with them, they were perpetually out of round, then self destructed
I called and cried to Goodyear, they adjusted us into a set of Eagle LS², even worse out of round
My dad bought a set of (it's successor at the time) Assurance Fuel Max, they had worse than Michelin dry rot at 18 months old
I cried to Goodyear again, they adjusted us into a set of Assurance Comfortreads
They were okay, but they're now 10 years old, and the vehicle is soon to be disposed of

GM had a bulletin out on match mounting these pieces of junk, because the road force machine hasn't been invented yet

I've seen Goodyear's on some brand-new cars with sidewall deformities, that I just don't see on Continental/Michelin/General

I'm not sure why the Eagle LS2 shouldn't hold up just fine on an application like this, when they're getting it done on my 2017 GMC Sierra 4x4 Double cab with 20" wheels, and the NHT Max Trailering option. Yes, it is just about the last tire I would have ever picked.... but they're doing just fine.

You're referring to a 9 year old tire with 78,000 miles on it. In all honestly, how much more does it have to give?

1682037354305.jpg

Had a '12 with over 100K and the 2.0l 5-speed. Never had any issues with it for the 9 months I drove it. Even towed a few cars with it including a VW GTI. Not sure what it was rated to tow, but certainly not that much.

View attachment 151727
Your's has door handles that match
And chunkier wheels/tires
And tasteful tint :cool:
The 5 speed must make it so much better
The CVT2 in mine makes this god awful whine part throttle under load, I'd gladly sacrifice the 400cc of displacement for gear ratios that make sense

I own the 1976 Plymouth Volare and after that experience I'll never own anything associated with Chrysler.........

Chryslers share of the market is the people who only look at the price and not the quality of a vehicle.

How would the Goodyear RS-A stack up against the LS2?
I was told they'd kill me.
They lasted 50K and wore evenly.
I dont know about the RSA but the RT/S on my 2002 ranger wore really bad like someone took a belt sander to them.. and were louder than mud boggers.
they were junked at 15k miles... Wasnt the alignment my next set wore that way a little but over 40000 miles.

The other 3 tires were various conditions from 2018-2021
How the oldest tire has the best tread, I have no clue

I dropped it off into our transportation dept, and had a chat with the Foreman

Balls out of my court

Back