My plan to delay an oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motorhome has Maxlife 10w30 in it and one quart is the Synthetic Maxlife. The oil has been in for 11.5 months and has 2700 miles (not that I don't enjoy oil changing, but I think there is life left in that oil). No short trips. Looks good on the blotter. I am taking a 1500 mile trip soon and plan to continue with this oil and maybe leave it in over winter, changing it before my spring trip.

I have to change the filter now though because the existing filter has a rusty seam and that to me is risky. So I will need about 3/4 qt make up for the filter. Think I will throw in a bottle (15 oz) of this discontinued STP 6000-Mile Oil Extender, which has zddp and other stuff, presumably an anti-oxidant. Anyway, just though I would share all that and see what reaction I get.

No VSOT suggestions please. This thing gets plenty of oil pressure on straight 10w30 and does not need thickening. BTW, the STP stuff is not thick.

That's what I was thinking, but there was this unwritten rule that you never take oil beyond one year. But the oil looks great. Maybe I don't even need the STP Stuff, but it won't hurt.

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:
That's what I was thinking, but there was this unwritten rule that you never take oil beyond one year. But the oil looks great. Maybe I don't even need the STP Stuff, but it won't hurt.

But your motor home sits for quite a while, right? It only gets driven for nice long intervals so no buildup of fuel or moisture, your UOA lood good last time, so a 5k interval would probably be fine, maybe no more than 2 yrs max (you do need to use some of that oil you have
smile.gif
)
As far as the STP goes, kind of a waste for only 1500 miles. Just top off with some of the Syn and use the STP next change (or maybe 1/2 now and 1/2 next change?).

quote:

Originally posted by blupupher:

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:

But your motor home sits for quite a while, right? It only gets driven for nice long intervals so no buildup of fuel or moisture, your UOA lood good last time, so a 5k interval would probably be fine, maybe no more than 2 yrs max (you do need to use some of that oil you have
smile.gif
)
As far as the STP goes, kind of a waste for only 1500 miles. Just top off with some of the Syn and use the STP next change (or maybe 1/2 now and 1/2 next change?).

You are right. Thanks.

After seeing that amazing Porsche UOA (the one where the factory fill was left in for five years and the UOA was still OK) and my own recent 13 month Sequoia UOA, I don't put too much stock in the old one-year thing. Certainly, no one is going to be made destitute by a precautionary one-year change, but neither is it necessary, unless usage clearly indicated that the oil has been used up.

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:
After seeing that amazing Porsche UOA (the one where the factory fill was left in for five years and the UOA was still OK) and my own recent 13 month Sequoia UOA, I don't put too much stock in the old one-year thing. Certainly, no one is going to be made destitute by a precautionary one-year change, but neither is it necessary, unless usage clearly indicated that the oil has been used up.

I'm intrigued- got a link?

I fully belive in using oil till it's not good anymore, despite the mass media's advice.

if everyone did it, imagine the oil we'd save as a country

quote:

Originally posted by burntkat:

quote:

I'm intrigued- got a link?

I fully belive in using oil till it's not good anymore, despite the mass media's advice.

if everyone did it, imagine the oil we'd save as a country

Try this on for size. . .

And here is our 13 month - 10k mile OCI UOA, Toyota Sequoia

quote:

After seeing that UOA (and a few others) I'm also more confident in going more than one year under certain conditions. I wouldn't do it in my own car since I drive 20k a year, but in my wife's car I now do one year changes (she does about 11k a year) and for my mom I'm going to do it about every 18 months (she drives less than 5k a year)

Well put the FL1A on and added about a quart of fresh oil. Now have nearly 4500 miles on it and the blotters are looking fine. I think I will leave it in until just before my spring trip. Might as well let the FL1A, which only has 1800 miles and 2 weeks on it, sit all winter than to change the oil and have the filter get rusty around the seams again.

I saw the M1 in my 4Runner get trashed at 10 months, and 2500miles odd.

The longest "trip" in that interval was 15 miles.

Given that a motorhome is not the best thing for driving two infants to the shops in the rain, I'm sure that you are fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back