My Photo Editing - Your Thoughts?

not bad at all, what editor do you use? I've been using various editors for about 10+ years, lately PaintShop Pro. It's quite powerful and tons easier than photoshop. To say nothing of cheaper.... [Wink]

So you cranked up the blue so we can see the deposit pattern better... anything else? It's like you work for CSI, Car Spark Investigating. [Big Grin]

Patman

Staff member
I don't think any photo editing software beats Photoshop. I've been working in Photoshop since 1991 in my job (I do color correction and retouching for a magazine publisher)

quote:
Originally posted by Patman: I don't think any photo editing software beats Photoshop. I've been working in Photoshop since 1991 in my job (I do color correction and retouching for a magazine publisher)
One that doesn't beat PhotoShop but beats just about everything else is GIMP and it's free. www.gimp.org If I didn't already own Photoshop 7 I would be using GIMP.

I agree about GIMP. I've been using it for a while now and its features are pretty impressive considering it's free software.

Jelly

quote:
Originally posted by oldman: Looks clearer for me, is that what you did on winter break [LOL!]
Just got back here...spent my time down south on the Gulf.

Jelly

quote:
Originally posted by kenw: I had to highly compress that one before posting it; highly compressed photos do not "fix-up" as well.
Oh, I know...just playing around with a little minor touch-up stuff, nothing major.

Patman

Staff member
We're using Photoshop CS at work now, which I believe is version 8. We run Macs with OSX on them. When I started using Photoshop it was on version 2.0!

Have been doing editing for way too long, but as a part of my engineering job, not as a fulltime graphics person, I can say that PaintShop Pro is a lot easier to learn if you aren't using it fulltime. Any editor takes time to learn, and if you only spend a few hours a month, PShop is a booger to learn. Add the fact that PSP tends (when I researched it it) to be more full-featured than the stripped down versions of PShop (CE, Elements, etc) and about the same $$ as the de-featured PShops. Of course, for fulltimers, the defacto standard is PShop without a doubt; but that can run $800 and up. But even fulltime PShop'rs are surprised at the power that PSP has (layers, etc). My brother did a lot of PShop as an architech and was quite taken aback when I showed him all the features he thought were exclusive to PShop, quite handy and all right there in a $50 editor. (PSP tends to get discounted more often than PS) Of course, the bottom line is that an editor is like any other tool: it works best with a lot of practice and familiarity.