My one local Walmart had no 5W20 🤷🏻‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.
0w20 is close enough, 5w30 is close enough. If you are looking for an exact match for your engine you likely will be shopping for a special certification one anyways and you can't just shop by weight.

That Ford oil spec defines the grade. It even changed when Ford specified oils formulated for LSPI. I wouldn't say it's not required.
Understood, I was just going by a typical owner's manual that says:

We recommend Motorcraft® motor oil for your vehicle. If Motorcraft® oil is not available, use motor oils of the recommended viscosity grade that meet API SP requirements and display the API Certification Mark for gasoline engines.​

My local one usually has a decent amount of oil stocked in the past couple years except last month. The oil shelves were surprisingly bare - a couple jugs of Motorcraft 5w-20 and Castrol. Valvoline was stocked the most but just barely. Autozone right next door doesn't seem to have a supply problem at the moment if I'm willing to spend another $5-10.

Around here, Walmart's have always had trouble keeping the shelves stocked. Always. As in ever since they first opened. Decades now. It's to the point where I wonder about all the sales that they have lost because of it. I'm not even sure if their shelves are necessarily emptier now.

But neither one of them meet WSS-M2C9C960-A1?
Ford WSS-M2C9C960-A1 basically says the oil has to be a 5W-20 that meets ISLAC GF-6.

No other viscosity (even if it's ISLAC GF-6) will meet that spec, because the spec is locked into specifying a 5W-20 grade oil.

Understood, I was just going by a typical owner's manual that says:

We recommend Motorcraft® motor oil for your vehicle. If Motorcraft® oil is not available, use motor oils of the recommended viscosity grade that meet API SP requirements and display the API Certification Mark for gasoline engines.
Got ya ... yes, that statement basically mirrors what is buried within Ford WSS-M2C9C960-A1 (ie, simply a 5W-20 that meets ISLAC GF-6).

Ford WSS-M2C9C960-A1 basically says the oil has to be a 5W-20 that meets ISLAC GF-6.

No other viscosity (even if it's ISLAC GF-6) will meet that spec, because the spec is locked into specifying a 5W-20 grade oil.

Got ya ... yes, that statement basically mirrors what is buried within Ford WSS-M2C9C960-A1 (ie, simply a 5W-20 that meets ISLAC GF-6).
But also note they say the "recommended viscosity grade", not that grade is a stated requirement either. To me the only thing they really imply is required is the API SP license.

But also note they say the "recommended viscosity grade", not that grade is a stated requirement either. To me the only thing they really imply is required is the API SP license.
Of course ... we all know that basically every vehicle OM you can find says "recommended" and not "required" when it comes to the viscosity call-out.

But the point was that the Ford spec numbers called out in their OMs are tied to a specific oil grade and ILSAC spec, like shown in post #47. So in essence, they are calling out a recommended oil viscosity grade via the Ford oil spec number. If someone followed the Ford oil spec number, they will end up buying a viscosity that is tied to that Ford spec.

Last edited:
Re: Low supply of 20 grade

Maybe that particular Wal-Mart cares about people's engine and concerned about HTHS.

I would say nothing wrong with that. These days, we need people who care about others!

Last edited:
Running a thinner oil at higher temperatures.. I'm leaving for the Carolinas, in about 2 months. So it's going to be a lot of highway driving..
That's what the 0w40 is for.

In all seriousness, if you're main concern is wear protection over fuel economy using a 20, 0w or 5w, is not the way to go.

I have no idea what all those numbers and letters mean. I have always chosen my oil as 5WXX, 10WXX, or 0WXX.
Sometimes 20W50, 70 wt., and 30 wt.
Are you proud of being uninformed? If not, maybe you should bring yourself up-to-date so that you can provide accurate information. There are a lot of new members seeking assistance and providing outdated information is doing this site a disservice.

Are you proud of being uninformed? If not, maybe you should bring yourself up-to-date so that you can provide accurate information. There are a lot of new members seeking assistance and providing outdated information is doing this site a disservice.
I have never needed to know what those numbers mean. My trucks engine runs on whatever I feel like adding to it.
You don't have to get all twisted out of shape. Instead, you can be the one to start teaching me. Or, would you like to just keep putting me down?
🤷‍♂️

I have never needed to know what those numbers mean. My trucks engine runs on whatever I feel like adding to it.
You don't have to get all twisted out of shape. Instead, you can be the one to start teaching me. Or, would you like to just keep putting me down?
🤷‍♂️
Lubrication requirements have evolved significantly since your truck’s engine was designed. If you are unfamiliar with the specification or the platform posted, please be responsible and do your homework before posting. Oil data sheets and owner’s manuals are easily available from their respective manufacturer’s websites. Offering incorrect information based on your own outdated experiences is an irresponsible practice on your part.

Lubrication requirements have evolved significantly since your truck’s engine was designed. If you are unfamiliar with the specification or the platform posted, please be responsible and do your homework before posting. Oil data sheets and owner’s manuals are easily available from their respective manufacturer’s websites. Offering incorrect information based on your own outdated experiences is an irresponsible practice on your part.
I think you need to go read my reply to your PM and do as the last sentence states!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back