My old pickup got a new heart today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I put the 392 IHC engine that I rebuilt into my old clunker pickup.

Started @8a and was done @ 4p. I'm wore out! Too old to do this stuff now.

I started with flushing the cooling system so I wouldn't have antifreeze everywhere. Then removed the old engine.

Transfered the WP, fuel pump, brackets, clutch etc onto the new engine.

Took lunch then stabbed the engine, hooked things up, primed the oil passages with an old distributer that I took the gear off and turned the key.

Ran it @ 2000 rpm for 30 minutes to break in the cam then idled it down and set the timing.

Still need to put on the new plug wires, new upper hose, heater hoses and put antifreeze in it. It has distilled water in it at the moment.

It runs very smooth and is much throatier than the old engine

Please excuse the cell phone pics and video.

0509090958.jpg

0509091137.jpg

Oh I know everyone is wondering.... It has SAE30 Rotella in it with 1/2 bottle of Redline cam break in lube and a FL1A filter. A bunch of Assembly lube went on everything too so this oil should have plenty of goodies in it.

I'll change it out this week anyway.

luv it!ihc pickups and scouts are great.the 304 is one of my favorite engines,never had any experience with the 392.but it has to be good.

I put another 40 or so miles on it and changed the oil and filter this morning.

The oil had all kinds of neet colors in it. Lots of blue, black and silver swirls in it. I did use tons of Moly based engine assembly lube so maybe that where the colors came from?

It got a new FL1A filter, 5 qts of Rotella SAE30 and 1 qt of Proline SAE30.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
Very nice!!!!
\
When are you tackeling the tranny!!!!
Not till it has problems. It's a T-19 so I don't see anything going wrong with it anytime soon.

Nice job! Engine looks nice all painted. Do you drive this truck regularly, or is this just a weekend toy...?

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Nice job! Engine looks nice all painted. Do you drive this truck regularly, or is this just a weekend toy...?
This was my DD up to 2002. Now it pulls toys out into the desert or the sand dunes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
What cam did you end up using?
A stock Melling that I bought @ Autozone with my gift card.

your family/friends know what you want for xmas!!
cheers3.gif

That firewall is so tall it looks like it could be in a school bus or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back