My oil test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was going to wash the cars but was tired so decided to do an oil test instead.
shocked2.gif

I used about 1/2 tsp of the following oils in a little cup I made with aluminum paper:

1- syn 5W30
2- syn 10W30
3- conventional 10Wx30

I torched the oils to the point of catching on fire and let them burn ...

Oil #3 oil left bunch of little black crumbles with lots of soot.
Oil #2 lots of soot and some very thick sludge and very little crumbles.
Oil #1 lots of soot and some very thick sludge and NO crumbles.

prefer not to mention all the brands but the winner as far as less/no crumbles was PP (Oil #1).
ran the test with oil #1 twice. Same results. looks like a perfect burn!
I may run the test again with the other oils.

I also have another 5Wx30 syn (Oil #4) and syn-blend 5Wx30 (Oil #5) and conventional 10Wx40 (Oil #6) but it was dinner time ... Maybe next weekend.

I know some of you guys are going to say I should have washed the cars instead
grin2.gif

The test was just for fun and out of curiosity! Does it mean anything specifically in regards to little crumbles? I know it's not a scientific test and/or in a controlled environment ...

Originally Posted by OilUzer
I know some of you guys are going to say I should have washed the cars instead
grin2.gif

The test was just for fun and out of curiosity! Does it mean anything specifically in regards to little crumbles? I know it's not a scientific test and/or in a controlled environment ...

Try putting it on your cereal..or a home made coffee cake?🤔

Last edited:
Engines don't run at 500° F, but your results do show that conventional will leave more deposits behind in engines that run hotter or get neglected. This is why I only use synthetic here in the Arizona desert. The sludge and varnish deposits I've seen on Kia/Hyundai GDI high pressure fuel pumps becomes very crumbly after attempting to clean them with brake clean. The stuff doesn't come off easily, either.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

I'm sure they taste better than Starbucks coffee
grin.gif

Originally Posted by zeng
Mind sharing after burn pictures ?

ðŸ‘

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

I'm sure they taste better than Starbucks coffee
grin.gif

Agreed... not a Starbucks fan....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by zeng
Mind sharing after burn pictures ?

I didn't take any. I may try the test again will all 6 oils if I get in the mood.

Originally Posted by Loobit
Engines don't run at 500° F, but your results do show that conventional will leave more deposits behind in engines that run hotter or get neglected. This is why I only use synthetic here in the Arizona desert. The sludge and varnish deposits I've seen on Kia/Hyundai GDI high pressure fuel pumps becomes very crumbly after attempting to clean them with brake clean. The stuff doesn't come off easily, either.

Wonder if crumbles are from burned off additives or the base oil. As far as vm, I assume PP has more of it being a 5w30 but left no crumbles! So it must not be burned off vm. I assume plastic burns off completely.

Originally Posted by toneydoc
You must have been bored and the cars must have been fairly clean to start with

Good point.. I'm thinking the whole "washing the car" is a cover story to goof off on a Sunday!...‚

Originally Posted by Donald
Should have washed your car.

I agree. Reminds me of the guy who puts gasoline (with and without additives) in a spray bottle, sprays it at a lit candle, and makes conclusions about the cleanliness of the burn based on the amount of black wisps of smoke coming off the flames. LOL.
So what exactly what did this test prove?

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
It's all in good fun. Kind've like when we've put oil in the freezer to do a "cold oil test".

I would not do that either but its better than cooking oils at max temp in the kitchen oven. I bet it stunk up his house.
crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back