My oil is going somewhere.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, my mate has a 99 wrx.

has done about 87,000kms and has about 50% morepower than a stock WRX.

it is currently using M1 10/30 full synthetic (the one in the gold container).

anyway, after a few drags, about once a week his dipstick goes from FULL to EMPTY. therefore around 200 to 500ml's is lost EVERY WEEK!!!!!

he has a catch can, but there is no oil in there.

so where is his oil going???

is the oil evaporating, during the few drags he does a week?

he drives about 600kms per week.

thanks
smile.gif

If there are no visible leaks, sounds like the oil is being burned up in the c.c., either thru the rings or the valve oil seals.

quote:

Originally posted by Ken4:
If there are no visible leaks, sounds like the oil is being burned up in the c.c., either thru the rings or the valve oil seals.

what does this mean for me?

Could be leaking through the turbo as well. Do you see any blue smoke coming from the tail pipe when he starts it or under hard acceleration like at the track?

quote:

what does this mean for me?

Sorry can't resist
grin.gif
:

a) get a new friend?
b) tell your friend to come to BiTOG?

Tell you friend to do a UOA, and maybe a 40 weight or higher vis 30 would be worth a try.

Or are you asking for a primer on ICC engine theory?

M-1 in a Gold container? Is this the same place you purchased the re-packaged Amsoil?

I agree with the turbo leaking oil. This would not show up in the catch can...and if consumed at a slow enough rate ..wouldn't even show out the pipe.

quote:

Originally posted by crashz:
Could be leaking through the turbo as well. Do you see any blue smoke coming from the tail pipe when he starts it or under hard acceleration like at the track?

so when it leaks thru the turbo, there should be blue smoke coming from the exhaust?

his tail pipe is black, but i dont think from exhaust fumes, mainly coz the car is running "rich" i.e excess fuel

[ January 10, 2004, 03:18 AM: Message edited by: StiMan ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back