my oil filter drains after sitting.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
95 camry.The oil filter sits almost sideways.Whenever i remove it,it doesn't have any oil.I can hear rocker arms rattle for a few seconds when it sits overnight. What filter can i use to prevent this? Or can i go to remote filter setup to also move the oil filter away from the hot pre-cat? I currently use a st3600

The anti drain back valve in the filter does not work. AMSOIL EaO filters have an anti drain back valve that WORKS. A EaO57 is for a 6 cylinder and a EA009 is for a 4 cyl.

Filters in Honda's sit horizontal, I've had no issues ever. ST's have a nitrile ADBV, normally ok for 4-5k.
21.gif
Silicone (generally orange in color) ADBV is preferable especially if you are having issues. Many have silicone including Motorcraft, Pure One's, Fram Tough Guard and Extended Guard to name several. My advise look for silicone ADBV. If that doesn't help then you have another issue.

Originally Posted By: 2009Edge
The anti drain back valve in the filter does not work. AMSOIL EaO filters have an anti drain back valve that WORKS. A EaO57 is for a 6 cylinder and a EA009 is for a 4 cyl.

It's funny that you mention that, because the only time I've ever had trouble with an ADBV was with an Amsoil EaO20 filter. It was probably a fluke, because I know they're normally good filters. I remember with the EaO it would take a good 3 seconds for the oil pressure light to turn off at start-up, whereas with the Napa I'm using now, it takes between 1-2 seconds. It's been like that with every other filter I've used as well, the EaO was the only anomaly. I've always used 5W-30 so I know it wasn't the grade of the oil, either. At the time I was using the EaO, I was using Amsoil ASL 5W-30.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
Do i look down the filter to see the adbv?
Yep, look for the orange rubber looking gasket behind the inlet holes. Appears black on your ST.

I usually get about 3k with a nitrile ADBV.

Dave, just try any filter with a silicon ADBV. Any Wix or PureOne will do it. I don't think that size MC will have a silicone. It will have an "S" after the number if it does.

I've never had any issues, at least none I'm aware of, with nitrile ADBV. The last one, an AAP TG went 4k, seemed to be holding oil when removed, and no rattle at start up. I have now 4.5k on a Puro PP, horizontal set up, with no issues.
21.gif

My son had some issue in an Explorer with start up rattle, using a non Motorcraft filter.

Other than a noise/rattle, at start up, how would you know if the nitrile or silicone ADBV had failed, while the filter is on the vehicle?

ADBV's don't have to hold indefinitely. They're to slow the backwashing effect when shutting down the engine. They need to slow the process. Aged nitrile will tend to leak down completely due to its rigidity. Silicone will tend to stop at a point ..or hold completely.

Your engine may not suffer at all from the condition. If your filter happens to be vertically mounted, the most it can empty is until some part of the center tube is exposed, allowing the air to breach the inlet and outlet.

I've had the best luck with the PureOne 10241. The next best would be Wix, but they don't always make it to the end of a 5K OCI. K&N are not good choices IMO. I have changed two of them before I even got to 1000 miles. Toyota filters should be thrown in the garbage can before you even open them.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
95 camry.The oil filter sits almost sideways.Whenever i remove it,it doesn't have any oil.I can hear rocker arms rattle for a few seconds when it sits overnight. What filter can i use to prevent this? Or can i go to remote filter setup to also move the oil filter away from the hot pre-cat? I currently use a st3600
I am almost absolutley positive that your engine doesn't rocker arms. The filter probably siphons through the outlet of the filter into the crank bearings .The noise will not hurt anything.

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
Toyota filters should be thrown in the garbage can before you even open them.

I don't think they are that bad from what I've seen. What makes you say that ... bad experience?
28.gif

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa

I don't think they are that bad from what I've seen. What makes you say that ... bad experience?
28.gif

The filter media I put in my friends canister on their '09 Rav-4 was very nice!

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I don't think that size MC will have a silicone. It will have an "S" after the number if it does.
Gary, ST3600 is an MC FL400S...

Also, I received the DVD on Saturday...thank you very much, sir!

I, too, want to know why you say this...I've changed the filters on my sister's '08 RAV-4 and my B-I-L's '09 Corolla. Although the Toyota replacement spin-on for the RAV didn't have a silicone ADBV (the OEM did), the replacement cartridge for the Corolla looked identical to the OEM.

My ex's '93 MX-6 2.0L did that no matter what filter I used. I tried Purolator, NAPA Gold, and Supertech. It still runs good at 130k miles so it can't be hurting it too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back