My Oil Filter cutter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JDW
Originally Posted By: sayjac
Originally Posted By: bigt61
Leave the poor guy alone, doubtful he could make any money selling those - it looks expensive to me.

Just buy a Jegs.

http://www.amazon.com/JEGS-Performance-Products-Filter-Cutting/dp/B007VR8C0U

31xvog-zQDL.jpg

The Jegs 'appears' identical to the cutter sold at Summit Racing linked below. It too says filters up to 5.5" diameter. However owning the Summit cutter, 3" and less dia. filters hit the cross bar and not the guide wheels, as shown here. So unless Jegs has moved the guide wheels closer it doesn't work well (smoothly) for 3" or less diameter filters. The tell tale sign is paint gone from cross bar between the guide wheels on the cutter.

One member retro fit the Summit with bigger wheels to make it work for smaller filters.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-900510/overview/

I have the same and works very well
wink.gif

So you are saying the guide wheels on the Jegs make contact with oil filters of 3" diameter and smaller? Or the Jegs works well for your applications?

If you would perhaps you could take a measurement between the center of the two studs on the cross bar and post it so I can compare the distance to the Summit cutter. If Jegs has moved the wheels closer then they have addressed the main issue with the Summit, ie., cutting smaller filters.

Below is a pic with the link to the thread showing the modification of the Summit to make it cut smaller filters.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...ter#Post2749690

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
That looks very nice, and appears sturdy enough that it would last quite a few filters.

For those that just want to pop open a couple of filters here and there, go down to the dollar store and pick up a cheap soup can opener. Pull the gasket out of the base of the filter and go at it. Sure, it will take a few revolutions to make it through the can but for $3 who cares? Plus, it will open any size filter you throw at it. On the filter for the Ody, I think I counted about 12-15 revolutions before the base plate separated from the rest of the can.

If you really want to be fancy, go by the local thrift shop and see if they have any old plug-in electric openers. Now you're living the good life!

I think I got mine for a dollar from the dollar store.

Was Pakistan International Airlines to cut the filter though.

May not be a change to them, But it works for me...

Pic and everything, thanks for taking the time. Just measured my Summit and looks to be the same as the Jegs.

Don't get me wrong, not saying it can't be made to work for 3" and smaller dia. filters, just that the can seam area hits the crossbar. Mine has a lot of paint missing between wheels.

My HF exhaust cutter works better on the smaller filters.

Thanks again for the reply.
thumbsup2.gif

No problem J, Going to grab one of the HF cutters this weekend that every who raves about
wink.gif

^^^I think the main reason many like the HF cutter is the price. Usually $20 or less with 20% coupon, currently $15 or less with coupon.

Nothing like the OP's or the Longacre, and takes a bit of finesses, but for strict utility of cutting open filters it get's the job done.

No problem J, Going to grab one of the HF cutters this weekend that every who raves about
wink.gif

Dont do it. It is a peice of junk. I returned it after it failed on the first use. Go with something quality like the longacre. Buy once, cry once.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Sell me one assembled, please price it reasonably!

I wouldn't mine just getting the pieces of one. It doesn't look complicated to put together.

Good looking cutter.

I just use an pneumatic cutter. I think there is something seriously wrong with my engine though. My media always has metal shavings on it.
laugh.gif

I guess I must have gotten a good HF exhaust cutter. As shown in the linked thread I bought mine in early 2010 and have cut open ~20 or more filters since, and the pic shows it's condition today, like new. Recently cut open a Harley SP5 posted here and Napa Gold 1334 posted here both with stout cans, with the HF cutter. Based on other posts some others have had good results the HF cutter too.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1816680

My HF cutter lasted exactly 5 filters. It's in my metal recycling bin right now. It looks similar to the one in your picture, but mine didn't come with the red plastic pouch, so maybe it's different than yours. I'm probably going to pick up a Jegs, or equivalent, later this year. However, if OP wants to go into business for himself, he'd have one guaranteed customer if the price was right.

^^^I noticed mine is labeled made in Taiwan on the pouch, wondering if they've changed the coo sourcing. As shown, mine has been durable/reliable and I've cut some thick cans recently. I've gotten my money's worth.

^^^I noticed mine is labeled made in Taiwan on the pouch, wondering if they've changed the coo sourcing. As shown, mine has been durable/reliable and I've cut some thick cans recently. I've gotten my money's worth.

Mine was from China. It looks like the tool in your picture, but all the articulated joints became very loose within 2 or 3 uses. So when the 4 cutting wheels came in contact with the can the two jaws would slip out of alignment and I'd end up with the 4 cutting wheels tracing 4 separate tracks on the can. Impossible to maintain alignment of the jaws & cutters while holding the filter and rotating. Finally, the plastic handle stripped where it is splined to the metal shaft. I bought mine in July of this year, so it is new.

Originally Posted By: R80RS

Mine was from China.....

That may well explain it then. Mine looks and has functioned like a quality piece.

Originally Posted By: R80RS

Mine was from China.....

That may well explain it then. Mine looks and has functioned like a quality piece.

I bought one of the HF exhaust cutters a couple years or so ago, based on sayjac's recommendation. I've probably cut open about 10 filters with it and it seems to be working well so far.

I'm looking at the plastic pouch it came in and it says:

Item/SKU # 91292
Made in Taiwan

Seems they have changed their source, and apparently the quality isn't as good with the China made models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back