My oil collection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I don't have near as much as some, but i is still a little stash:

-

That's 12 Valvoline 10w-30 All Climate, 20 Valvoline MaxLife 10w-30, 8 GC, 1 Penzoil 5w-30 and 1 Pro Line ? 10w-30 for the lawnmower.
That is enough for 5 changes in the Jeep and 2 in the Hyundai. I will be getting some more GC once I have run it for a while to make sure my little motor likes the 0w-30. Next week or so it will be going in.

Hey guys,

Here is my little stash. When I saw the VOA of MC 15W-40 (thanks Mikeyoilnut and 59vetteman), I felt this could be a good oil for my LS1 engine. I couldn't find this oil anywhere, except for Ford dealers. I had bought 2 5qt jugs which came out to $2.13 a qt. A few days after, I found ~ 18qts at a local Wally and bought 12 of them at $1.42 a pop. I returned the 2 jugs to the Ford dealer.
Anyway, 12qts of MC 15W-40, 1qt of RL 10W-30 (for mixing with the MC oil at a 5:1 ratio), some M1 15W-50 and some Maxlife oil treatment and Schaeffer's EP oil treatment brew in the M1 green cap bottle.
Not as impressive as others, but still a stash!
cool.gif

-

-

My question would be.

Whats the point of having so much oil in bulk.

Some of you guys look like you have enough oil for a year.

And what if awesome oil comes out. Like what if German Castrol goes on sale.

Then wouldnt you guys have all this oil you dont wanan use any more?

Also...whats the shelf life of oil?

::shrugs;; I would just think buy oil when you need it from the store.

Not trying to be a jerk. Not in any way.

Its cool you have bulk oil. Just a little confused as to the efficency of it.

It is an illness, thats all. If a better oil came out the old stuff would go in Uncle Charlie's sedan and the new better stuff would get stocked.

quote:

Originally posted by Ugly3:
It is an illness, thats all. If a better oil came out the old stuff would go in Uncle Charlie's sedan and the new better stuff would get stocked.

got ya, guess I just havent caught that bug yet.

My Valvoline All-Climate was bought on a rebate of a case, $.89/qt, I bought 2 cases. The MaxLife is from the free rebate programs, I actualy just got 10 more qts. Free oil is free oil. I can't help it. This oil is for my Jeep, I have over 2 years worth of oil for it now at it's current OCI, so I am probably done with getting oil for it.
The GC is for my Hyundai, which is changed about every 3 months (7500 miles), and I just used 4 qts.
As far as shelf life, so long as it is kept in a sealed container out of extreme heat, I see no problem with storing it for a couple of years. If something better comes out, oh well, the stuff I have been using and have in stock works fine now and meets all the current specs of the engine.

quote:

Originally posted by Shadohh:
My question would be.

Whats the point of having so much oil in bulk.

Some of you guys look like you have enough oil for a year.

::shrugs;; I would just think buy oil when you need it from the store.

Not trying to be a jerk. Not in any way.

Its cool you have bulk oil. Just a little confused as to the efficency of it.

I agree with you 100%! In fact, I have voiced my opinion in the past just as you did. I don't believe in having large stockpiles of oil. All I have is 2 changes for my car. I don't have any for my wife's car.
The only reason I bought 2 changes for my car is because Walt-Marts around here have stopped stocking the MC 15W-40 oil. The only way to find it now is going straight to the dealer.....and that would cost me almost twice as much. Once I run out of this oil, I will give Delvac 1300S a try. It looks like a good oil and has performed very good.
I also fear being stock with a large stockpile when a "new and improved" oil comes out.

EDIT: BTW, I have been bit by the same bug before. For some reason I have been able to control myself.
banghead.gif

Thanks for the understand and explanation.

I did happen to count my oil recently.

1 gallon Rotella, 4 quarts Penzzoil 5w20.

5 quarts valvoline.

valovline is from the rebate.

penzzoil is from a surplus of credit.

Rotella is my normal use oil.

My stock is now depleted to 70 quarts of oil. But I am fixing to pickup another 30 quarts this weekend. Both Pep Boys and Advance Auto have Maxlife on sale for 1.99 and 1.98. Also a few more Synpower at 3.98 at AA. This will result in "A Hundred Bottles of Oil on the Wall, A Hundred Bottles of Oil on the Wall, Take One Down and Pass it Around, ....." May need help writing the song, but will definitely need to post a new photo. Sorry, not digital yet and right now Photoworks (former Seattle Film Works) has me locked out of my photo archives due to their system change. So in a couple months I should have a photo to post.

quote:

Originally posted by Shadohh:

Good point, when I get my digicam back, I will take a picture of the case of Havoline 5W30 quart tins I have here, full, from the mid 1960s. Have some Esso tins as well, 10W30. Got them when we cleaned out Grandma's house, but do I dare use the stuff in my 1956 Bel-Air, or should I save them as museum pieces? What a dillema ;-)

You guys might've had a lot of oil - bit I had my oil in my bedroom. In my old apartment I lived in a 500sqft 2 room apartment (living room and bedroom). The bedroom was multifunctional as it had a KING WATERBED with car shelves next to it - and yes I had a girlfriend
smile.gif

I got slapped a few times for making 10W-30 jokes in bed
smile.gif

Good thing OSHA doesn't pertain to private ownership of chemicals.
shocked.gif

Needless to say I picked up Mobil 1 0w-30 for $2 a quart. It was a discontinued item at our local Advance Auto store. They also have a bunch of Mobil 1 ATF for $2.50 a quart.

I live in an apt. (I'm a senior in college) and my hall closet is full of oil and other fluids. Currently I have 20 quarts of free Valvoline DuraBlend 5W30, 4 Purolator L10241's, 2 Purolator air filters, 4 quarts Toyota transmission fluid, 4 quarts Toyota coolant/anti-freeze, and it's about to gain 4 quarts Mobil1 gear oil (on sale at WalMart). The most I paid for anything is $2 (oil filter).
cool.gif

changed word

[ November 30, 2004, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

Somebody please help me! Since my pic, I have used 4 qts of GC, but bought 5 more qts of MaxLife and 10 more qts of DuraBlend. I can't help getting free oil!
I am going to give 10 qts of the MaxLife to my sister though, I have to, I am running out of space. My wife finaly said something about it. Well, 6 qts will be used in the next week or so for the Jeep.

Since my photo I got up to 100 qts, then used 13 qts and bought more. Now I have 104 qts! Couldn't pass up the 6 qts free Durablend and last week the rebate 99 cent Maxlife at local auto store (Murrays).
fruit.gif

I feel a little inadequate as I only have 98 quarts, but I have 15 filters, all Motorcraft FL-820S's!

32qts GC
24qts M1 0W-20
12qts M1 0W-30
24qts M1 5W-30
06qts M1 0W-40

That's enough for 5 changes for each of the 3 cars (6qts each change).

quote:

Originally posted by lyle:
I feel a little inadequate as I only have 98 quarts, but I have 15 filters, all Motorcraft FL-820S's!

32qts GC
24qts M1 0W-20
12qts M1 0W-30
24qts M1 5W-30
06qts M1 0W-40

That's enough for 5 changes for each of the 3 cars (6qts each change).

Hmmmm, you must have a dozen Pep Boys "Cool Cars" calendars ( reference link ).

quote:

Originally posted by Ugly3:

It really is a sickness....right now I've got about 10 cases in the garage, combination of 5w30 and 10w30, and I think I have one case of each over at my parent's. They have a better driveway than I do to do work(concrete and flat vs my angled asphalt) and more important, no homeowner's association to have conniptions about one doing car maintenance in the driveway.

Everything I've got was bought either at a really good sale price, or even better, a really good sale price plus a rebate.

I didn't want to start a new thread on the same subject, so here's mine:

- 2 Cases of Chevron
- 13 of Honda OEM (Filtech) filters
- 2 Quarts of Honda OEM MTF
- 1 proline filter
- 2 Purolator PP filters
I was able to pick up the oil for .49 cents per quart after rebate. I hope there's no special for awhile since i'm going to buy more oil than what i use up, after that i'll have to find more room to put it.

-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back