My observations on Mobil1 15w50 in my 96 Saturn SL2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took the advice of many on this board and filled up the crankcase with M1. In this case it's 15w50 in my 1996 Saturn SL2 that has 88K/miles. (I found a 5qt jug for 18.88 at the local WalMart) I was using Chevron Supreme 10w30 prior to this and thought the deal at WalMart was too good to pass up. The drains prior to this one had Neutra to clean things up during the last 300 or so miles of the oil's life.

What I've noticed so far:
--Engine noise is noticeably reduced at all speeds.
--The Noise,Vibration, and Harshness at idle has been mostly eliminated. For Saturns, I find this amazing! The rear view mirror no longer vibrates to the point of everything being blurred.
--Increased power. Yes, increased power! I was surprised at how it seemed to have more punch. I really thought it would go down with the heavier weight oil.
--MPG? Don't know, only just changed it yesterday. Still to be determined.

What is the cold-cranking spec for this oil? I wonder if this oil could be used most of the year 'round these parts.

Overall, I'm really impressed with how this oil raises performance a notch and quiets things down. I better get to WalMart and grab a few more 5qt jugs before the prices go up!

My $0.02.

This echo's my experince as well. I am glad you were willing to take the leap and put heavier oil in dureing the warm months. I think the main problem is that too many people have been brain washed by GM initialy and other car companys now that anything thicker then 5W20 or 5W30 will cause engine to self destruct!! Oil weight is just as much related to ambient temp as it is clearances! When temps start to drop below 40F all of the time I normaly switch to a synthetic 10W30 or 5W40 until winter is gone.

These are the same things I reported when first using the 15-50 after a steady diet of 5-30. I think that's why they use these grades in Europe...quieter, more refined sounding and operating engines. That's why I was scratching my head when the person posted his Honda was vibrating and struggling to idle 'because of the heavier weight oil'. If anything it's the opposite.

I think some of the increase in your butt-meter comes from the this and what I believe to be an increased "sealing" effect as your pistons are now using more of the power of compustion rather than it being blow-by. This is the "torque" increase I was talking about in an earlier post.

You will notice an increase in fuel consumption, maybe even significant. But, it will improve with time as the crevices that were filled with burnt garbage from the previous water weight oil are cleaned out and slowly replaced with a lubricant. This is why I recommend using auto-rx first...but if you engine is already clean, don't worry about it. Good luck.

Yeah, what I found is that it puts on a steady-state (unlike sporadic/sharp-load by a/c unit) heavier load and causes a smoother and steadier idle...ie. cpu is always compensating

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:

I think some of the increase in your butt-meter comes from the this and what I believe to be an increased "sealing" effect as your pistons are now using more of the power of compustion rather than it being blow-by. This is the "torque" increase I was talking about in an earlier post.

My daily commute is usually no less than 65mph. I really didn't even want to use 5th gear as it had the extra punch that makes a ride home from the office far more rally-like!
grin.gif

I observed all of your observations with Royal Purple 15w40 when I switched from Delo 400. I've been waiting to hear what other brand will give me similar results especially more power. Now that you mentioned 15w50 Mobile 1, it's going to be on my list when I go oil shopping.

Leo

I wish Mobil made a 10w-40 or more readily availble 5w-40 that was more shear stable then 0w-40. It would also satisfy the people/engines that need a heavier oil then their 30wts. which are almost 20's.

Bugger me! Just when you all had me convinced me to go thinner this comes along and my brains hurting. This gets more confusing every day. I'll stick with 5W40 until we get some real data on thick/thin.

" ...his Honda was vibrating and struggling to idle 'because of the heavier weight oil'. If anything it's the opposite."

Well, if the heavier oil increases load on the motor appreciably, the idle speed may be a bit low and this can cause it to stumble a bit before the CPU raises it into a "comfortable" range ... like turning on the A/C compressor in my old 1.5L Civic.

Just a thought.
wink.gif

Anyway, glad you Saturn owners have found something your cars like.

--- Bror Jace

Changed to D1 the day I bought it (used 62000kms) but later the high Sulphated Ash and a few posts here got me worried. I'll stay with Redline gear oils but just too exy for the engine oil. 20-litre drum of D1 now $228 so Visco 5000 looking good. Anyway I have 2,000kms too go in 'rinse mode' and then add 3rd bottle Auto-Rx so a fair old while yet to decide on my 'syn of choice'. M1 Supersyn 10W30 could be the go who knows??

Sprintman,
I'f you're worried about the ash in Delvac, use the approach of a bunch of posters here, and use 3 parts 10W-30 to 2 5W-50, or 50:50, or 47.23 to 52.77, or whatever.

Or cut your Delvac with 0W-40. Get a little moly, and all the delvac esters.

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
Bugger me! Just when you all had me convinced me to go thinner this comes along and my brains hurting. This gets more confusing every day. I'll stick with 5W40 until we get some real data on thick/thin.

He didn't give any UOA here though, just seat of the pants feel, so don't be tempted to go right back to the 50wt again. I'm sure your usage of 5w40 will work out great Sprintman.

quote:

He didn't give any UOA here though, just seat of the pants feel, so don't be tempted to go right back to the 50wt again. I'm sure your usage of 5w40 will work out great Sprintman.
Before winter sets in, I guess I'll have to break open the Chevron Supreme 10w30 and use it during those cold months.

I'll perform a UOA to see how this oil looks at that time. I'm not comfortable running this oil during winter, even a Tennessee winter.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:

here's some data on thick/thin:
 -

Delvac 1300S 15w40 in a SL1

--Matt

I am all for heavier oils. But to me 15W-50 is just over the top. I would either go with the Delvac 5W-40 (which I use) or if you prefer moly, mix the 10W-30 (Mobil 1) with the 15W-50 (which I do).

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:

quote:

Before winter sets in, I guess I'll have to break open the Chevron Supreme 10w30 and use it during those cold months.

I'll perform a UOA to see how this oil looks at that time. I'm not comfortable running this oil during winter, even a Tennessee winter.
cheers.gif

I'd stick with Mobil 1. Just use the 10w30 during the winter months and switch back to 15w50 for summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back