My next bike if they have in stock...

What do you guys think of the price? is it reasonable? or maybe wait next year when the price go down.

It will be my commute to work and some weekend ride.

Specialized Turbo Vado SL 5.0 EQ

It looks like one of the better designed commuter bikes I've seen yet. From looking around at online retailers, the price is nearly or above Specialized's MSRP. Either they can't make and deliver them fast enough or there are supply chain issues. That makes the prices what it is, you'll just have to decide if it's a price you can agree to.

I rode the Yamaha e-bike at the International Motorcycle Show in January. It was really nice how it boosted your pedal input. Simple control to set the boost power. If I were to buy one, Yamaha would be on the short list.

It looks like one of the better designed commuter bikes I've seen yet. From looking around at online retailers, the price is nearly or above Specialized's MSRP. Either they can't make and deliver them fast enough or there are supply chain issues. That makes the prices what it is, you'll just have to decide if it's a price you can agree to.

Prices will not be going down next year... There are huge supply chain issues. There have been since Chinese New Year last year, and they will likely continue through 2022 at this point. There are a few reasons:
  • the entire supply chain is in Asia, and much of it China, and the pandemic had most factories shuttered during the busiest time of the year (right after CNY). Most factories didn't get up to full capacity until May/June
  • unprecedented demand. No one really saw this coming... With the lockdown restrictions, turns out biking is one of the few activities people can do. The entire bike industry has been insanely busy
  • tariffs. Bike companies were already moving from CN due to tariffs, to SE Asia and Taiwan--but those places have limited capacity, for different reasons. The Taiwan bike industry is very mature, but not very dynamic. They aren't going to add a huge amount of capacity for fear of demand lessening. Vietnam is struggling to get new factories online.
  • travel. The fact that it's impossible for folks in the US to travel to Asia for the foreseeable future is going to result in delays. Everything takes longer when you're working remote. Big players like Specialized have boots on the ground over there, but it's not the same. Having "the guys from the office" show up speeds everything up...
Bottom line, if you find a bike you like, I'd recommend buying it!

I've spent some time on a prototype version of that motor by the company that actually makes it--it's very nice. Quite a bit of power considering the weight, smooth operation and it's been very reliable. Slightly loud, but given the small size, that's to be expected. Overall, looks like a nice bike.

How ar the fully integrated battiers replaced when they wear out, and they will wear out. How is the fully integrated controls repaired if they fail or is this an expesive 3 or 4 year bike to be tossed when something dies.

Rod

Back