My new used car 2018 Avalon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Nick1994
Originally Posted by Leo99
Your issue is that it smells bad? It smells like a 77 Buick? That's a feature!

Lol no, it reeks of rotten egg. As in, it makes me nauseous.
37.gif

That sounds like a feature that would come in handy after eating at Filiberto's! ...‚...‚...‚

Originally Posted by double vanos
Nice car! A good 300k auto, properly maintained.

Yep-the pinnacle of BITOG success! (To quote another member on here recently).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gman2304
Originally Posted by Danno
Now to fight the dealer.

Fight about what?

The bad cat at 39,000 miles.
Yup, no CEL but it REEEEEEEKS when you merge onto the highway with some decent throttle, or drive in the mountains or spiritedly.

No new Catalyst for you.....No manufacturer will green light that over "smells". I would lean more toward it having a oil leak??

Originally Posted by dishdude

37.gif

That sounds like a feature that would come in handy after eating at Filiberto's! ...‚...‚...‚

Oh man, have you eaten at the Juliobertos on 23rd St & Indian School? Speaking of vomit...

Originally Posted by dishdude

37.gif

Oh man, have you eaten at the Juliobertos on 23rd St & Indian School? Speaking of vomit...

No, and thanks for the warning! ...‚

37.gif

I assume you never had a 77 Buick. That's what they smelled like when the cat passed some gas.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Well done. Avalons are the best kept secrets in the car business.
I like the hybrids...

Yep-the modern Crown Vic..............................

I though general agreement they are modern replacement for old Buicks that were best sellers in age group 80+?
All three have two things in common: Old man car and BITOG favorite.

The Avalon is an acceptable car for anyone to drive, but definitely is a much cooler old man car than a Caravan.

Poor man's Lexus!

Originally Posted by gman2304
Originally Posted by Danno
Now to fight the dealer.

Fight about what?

The bad cat at 39,000 miles.
Yup, no CEL but it REEEEEEEKS when you merge onto the highway with some decent throttle, or drive in the mountains or spiritedly.

That is normal. My Grand Caravan does same thing. Doesn't last long but smells bad. Good luck on them replacing it. Got to love new emissions.

37.gif

So it was you I followed the other day! Smelled like the day after a pickled egg binge.
sick.gif

Nice ride OP. Modern day floater.

My wife drives an '06 Avalon and it sounds like things haven't changed much with that model.
The power and comfort are nice, but I tend to spin the fronts at lights if I'm not thinking hard about being gradual on the throttle and I also can't stand the numb steering.
I drove it for a day this past winter when we were doing a complicated family car swap and being in a FWD car that gave me no feel for the road on a sorta slippery day was not a pleasant feeling for me...I don't think it was the tires as it has brand new RT43s.
That car has been rock solid on reliability, don't believe it has had major work of any kind. Gotta like that!

Pretty sure no CEL means no problem with the cat. At least in the dealer's eyes.

Could try changing fuel station. IIRC the rotten egg smell is from sulfur, but I thought that was all out of our gas now.

You sure you are smelling your own car? I mean, the whole point of the exhaust system is to put the exhaust behind you so that it doesn't wind up in the cabin. You sure you aren't smelling other people's cars?

blueglide88 said:
As some of you read I was searching for a 2012 Avalon to replace my 2003 Grand Marquis. Couldn't find anything worth my money, but did find a 2018 XLE Avalon.
Should last me a long time. Mileage 16k as of now. About 15k when purchased. Smooth 3.5 v6 and 6 speed trans. Very quiet interior. It was a Hertz rent to buy car.
Pretty nice program, they sold this for a little under KBB. I had my mechanic and body man check it out they both gave thumbs up.

It is extremely hard to find a good replacement for a 4.6 Panther. I was on the fence for a long time on what to buy as my 05 Crown Vic had over 300K miles on it.

Congrats on your Avalon! Did not know about the rent to buy from Hertz. Having your mechanic and body man check it out was smart!!

Originally Posted by parshisa
Failed cats tend to fall apart and ceramic powder is being pulled back into the intake. It all leads to abrasives in the oil and causes damage to the cylinder walls.
Pulled in via the EGR? I've never heard of cat powder traveling up the exhaust pressure gradient and getting solid material into the engine.
Any other references on this issue you can give us? Links maybe?

All this talk of cat failure. Remember there are upstream and downstream O2 sensors surrounding the cats to test their performance as you drive, so if you're not seeing a Check Engine Light OBDII code for it, its probably doing allright. Up to 80,000 miles, with that OBDII code, they will replace sensors and/or cats for free. Thank the EPA for that law.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Originally Posted by parshisa
Failed cats tend to fall apart and ceramic powder is being pulled back into the intake. It all leads to abrasives in the oil and causes damage to the cylinder walls.
Pulled in via the EGR? I've never heard of cat powder traveling up the exhaust pressure gradient and getting solid material into the engine.
Any other references on this issue you can give us? Links maybe?

Altima 2.5's were known for it. That said, I've never heard of any other engine doing. But I'm guessing any engine with a catalyst integrated into the exhaust manifold could do it, particularly if it skipped a physical EGR system and used VVT instead for the function.

All this talk of cat failure. Remember there are upstream and downstream O2 sensors surrounding the cats to test their performance as you drive, so if you're not seeing a Check Engine Light OBDII code for it, its probably doing allright. Up to 80,000 miles, with that OBDII code, they will replace sensors and/or cats for free. Thank the EPA for that law.

True. But. My '99 had a dead downstream O2 for I don't know how long--I was playing with Torq one day, decided to see if the sensors were lazy, and found the downstream was dead flat at zero volts. I put a sensor on order, drove for several days (like several 50 mile each way highway trips), swapped the sensor--and never a CEL. New sensor had proper downstream voltages on Torq too.
21.gif
I'm not complaining, but this car is plain not behaving properly.

That out of the way--I wouldn't mess with the cat unless if downstream sensor said the cat was dead or if I thought the cat was plugged or rattling.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
My wife drives an '06 Avalon and it sounds like things haven't changed much with that model.
The power and comfort are nice, but I tend to spin the fronts at lights if I'm not thinking hard about being gradual on the throttle and I also can't stand the numb steering.
I drove it for a day this past winter when we were doing a complicated family car swap and being in a FWD car that gave me no feel for the road on a sorta slippery day was not a pleasant feeling for me...I don't think it was the tires as it has brand new RT43s.
That car has been rock solid on reliability, don't believe it has had major work of any kind. Gotta like that!

My Sienna with AWD has slight torque steer. Cannot imagine Avalon when you press on it.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Well done. Avalons are the best kept secrets in the car business.
I like the hybrids...

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi

My Sienna with AWD has slight torque steer. Cannot imagine Avalon when you press on it.

The Avalon has quite a bit of torque steer when you jump on it. But I didn't buy it to jump on it
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back