My (new to me) 1998 Nissan Altima with 333k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Found a bootleg mechanic who will do it for $120 if I provide the pump, gasket and anti freeze, I think I'll probably go that route
Sounds good, take pictures of everything under the hood before he does it so if anything is broken or anything like that you'll know.

That's the exact same Altima my friend has except hers is silver and an A/T. It has over 400,000 miles on it now,runs like brand new,never had anything repaired or replaced. Pennzoil yb 10W30 every 3k since new. Paint and interior still looks new too. Never been garaged,even when she was living in Alaska. Crazy dependable car!!

I couldn't help myself I already started buying stuff even though I should have gotten the leak fixed first...

Got a new bulb for the high stop which was out, got a new bulb for the trunk which apparently never had one installed... Must have been optional!

I also ordered a JDM-ASTAR-Extremely-Bright-Lights dome light bulb off eBay... I wanted to get a better one but the ones I wanted are located on a UK site and this thing only has one interior light and it's dim.

Got some new Michelin basic wiper blades, some Gumout all in one fuel system cleaner, a Fram Ultra XG 7317 and some Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w30.

Small things on the future list will be fuel filter, spark plug wires, and fixing things that need it.

I found a Bosch pump that includes gasket on Rockauto for $16 but that's before $9 shipping. I am not jumping on it yet because my main mechanic will provide parts if I do the job with warranty if they use their own parts.

Originally Posted By: caravanmike
Any update on progress?

Yeah I dropped it off at the mechanic to replace the water pump, and he said passenger side front wheel bearing was worst he'd ever seen and that my axle was the only thing holding my wheel on.

So my $350 water pump job ended up at $790 for the water pump plus a new axle and wheel bearing/hub assembly.

They also said that I need some other stuff done to the suspension,I believe they said front stabilizer bar and drivers side tie rods all need replaced soon.

Other than that everything's okay, I can make the clutch slip in second gear at WOT, but otherwise fine I been trying to drive it easy other than some testing.

Just got everything together for my first oil change. Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w30, Fram Ultra and some Lubromoly motor oil saver.

I was thinking about doing a uoa for fun to check for anything odd, but it's only got 3k on Valvoline conventional from a quick lube and the previous owner did all highway mileage so I'm betting it looks good.

2v3hs93.jpg

Glad to hear nothing major found wrong! Some of those wheel bearings can be tough to do especially the ones that need a hub tamer tool kit. Also good to hear you using quality fluids and supplies. That car didn't get to 334k by accident, someone looked after it.
I maintain multiple family members cars with over 200k on them and i always use good parts and supplies, even though they are high mileage, they are valuable to me and my family.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I was thinking about doing a uoa for fun to check for anything odd, but it's only got 3k on Valvoline conventional from a quick lube and the previous owner did all highway mileage so I'm betting it looks good.

Do it! I'd love to see a uoa with Valvoline on a 300+k Altima!!

Good looking car for the price, age and mileage. I would like to find a decent econbox like this in the future. House brand fluids are all Id ever use too, but I see you broke down and bought some M1 HM. Lol.

Too bad about the $$$ transaxle. Judging by your pics, you live in an apartment that doesnt allow auto DIY work?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Good looking car for the price, age and mileage. I would like to find a decent econbox like this in the future. House brand fluids are all Id ever use too, but I see you broke down and bought some M1 HM. Lol.

Too bad about the $$$ transaxle. Judging by your pics, you live in an apartment that doesnt allow auto DIY work?

Yeah they are very strict about people working on cars. I know almost all apartments say you can't work on them but i believe mine enforces it, i never see anyone working on their car, maybe once or twice very rare.

At other apartment complexes i see people working on their cars every weekend.

The reason i bought the M1 HM is i will probably do longer OCIs.

On the 4th gen Maxima (95-99) the ecu will trigger a false knock sensor code in the presence of other emmisions codes. Fix the egr and evap stuff before tackling the KS. Check the evap hoses for loose charcoal also.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: asand1
On the 4th gen Maxima (95-99) the ecu will trigger a false knock sensor code in the presence of other emmisions codes. Fix the egr and evap stuff before tackling the KS. Check the evap hoses for loose charcoal also.

Thanks for both posts, I will certainly look into it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back