My new timing belt dosen't look so new anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Is it normal for a timing belt to look worn shortly after being installed on the car?
I replaced my timing belt 1 month ago,and it already looks as worn as the old one.
It's been only 250 miles since i installed this belt. Here are some pictures:

Cosmetic wear isn't an issue on timing and serpentine belts. Is your engine running smoother than before with a little more power?

It doesn't look old to me but does this car have timing covers,it would be good if it did because dust and dirt is not good around this area.

Thanks for the replies.

147_Grain: Yes!...the car feels more solid when i step on the gas.

Azeem: yes,the car have timing covers,i took them out to look at the belt.

looks like the belt have the camshaft teeths printed on it.

not seeing anything abnormal to me. maybe the photo doesnt show your concern clearly?

Originally Posted By: Rand
not seeing anything abnormal to me. maybe the photo doesnt show your concern clearly?
I must be missing something as well looks good to me.

Your worrying too much. A timing belt is going to look used, after running any amount of time. Its due to the back side of the belt flexing around the tensioner and idlers.

Originally Posted By: asand1
Your worrying too much. A timing belt is going to look used, after running any amount of time. Its due to the back side of the belt flexing around the tensioner and idlers.

+1

It may only be 250 miles, but think how many revolutions it has done already.

Originally Posted By: vtecboy
Thanks for the replies.

Are you using the butt dyno from Kalecoauto? It's at

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=8

I'm not really sure how a new timing belt is supposed to give you more power. You get a certain amount of performance at standard temperature and pressure, once you're outside those ranges, it can go up or down.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Thanks for the replies.

I'm not really sure how a new timing belt is supposed to give you more power. You get a certain amount of performance at standard temperature and pressure, once you're outside those ranges, it can go up or down.

timing belts stretch over time. And mine was 30,000mi past due.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Looks good to me as well. The only thing that I noticed is slightly worn lettering painted on the belt, which could indicate a problem with the tensioner or idler pulleys. Were they replaced?

No,i was on a budget, so i replaced the belt and i reused everything else.
cry.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

Rubber belts don't really stretch although timing chains will as they wear. The reason you change them is because they will just fail without warning, not slowly decrease engine performance as they wear.

Thanks for the replies.

Rubber belts don't really stretch although timing chains will as they wear. The reason you change them is because they will just fail without warning, not slowly decrease engine performance as they wear.

Na,Timing belts do stretch. specially under high RPM ... with a timing light you can see the timing mark jump around when you rev up the engine,just as the timing chains.

Na,Timing belts do stretch. specially under high RPM ... with a timing light you can see the timing mark jump around when you rev up the engine,just as the timing chains.

Timing belts do NOT stretch. The fabric carcass is the thing that keeps them from doing so. The reason they fail is because the carcass weakens and either separates or the teeth strip off. You cannot see that internal weakness, which is why a visual inspection isn't much good in determining whether or not a belt is in need of replacement.

If your timing marks are jumping around, your timing belt may be too loose. That would also explain the scuffing you're seeing with the belt having been on there for only 250 miles. I'll bet the belt is slapping its cover somewhere. What was the method you used to tension the belt?

i replaced the belt and i reused everything else.
cry.gif

That is false economy. The belt manufacturers specifically state the number one reason for belt failure is not the belt itself, but rotating component failure (tensioner, idler), resulting in a shredded belt.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
i replaced the belt and i reused everything else.
cry.gif

That is false economy. The belt manufacturers specifically state the number one reason for belt failure is not the belt itself, but rotating component failure (tensioner, idler), resulting in a shredded belt.

Yes, it's so true. Too many people fall for the belt only change, to save few bucks, only to find themselves paying for another belt job within a year or so. Or they just trade the car in because its unreliable.

Looking at the wear signs that are only on one side of the belt, and only after 200 miles or so, I have a feeling that a tensioner, idler pulley or water pump may go out soon and it won't be pretty. How soon is anybody's guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back